We systematically study the Cherenkov optical emission by a nonrelativistic modulated source crossing 3D dispersive metamaterial. It is found that the interference of the field produced by the modulated source with the periodic plasmonic-polariton excitations in a metamaterial leads to the specific interaction in the frequency range where the dispersive refractive index of a metamaterial is negative and the reversed Cherenkov emission is generated. Such resonance considerably modifies the spatial structure of the Cherenkov field. In our study parameters of a metamaterial and modulated source are fixed while the frequency spectrum of the plasmonic excitations is formed due to the fields interplay in the frequency domain.
2. Shalaev, V. M., "Optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 1, 41-48, 2007.
3. Soukoulis, C. M. and M. Wegener, "Past achievements and future challenges in the development of three-dimensional photonic metamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 5, 523-530, 2011.
4. Hess, O., J. B. Pendry, S. A. Maier, R. F. Oulton, J. M. Hamm, and K. L. Tsakmakidis, "Active nanoplasmonic metamaterials," Nature Materials, Vol. 11, 573-584, 2012.
5. Chen, H., C. T. Chan, and P. Sheng, "Transformation optics and metamaterials," Nature Materials, Vol. 9, 387-396, 2010.
6. Gordon, J. A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "CNP optical metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 16, 6692-6716, 2008.
7. Milton, G. W., "Realizability of metamaterials with prescribed electric permittivity and magnetic permeability tensors," New Journal of Physics, Vol. 12, 033035, 2010.
8. Podolskiy, V., A. Sarychev, and V. Shalaev, "Plasmon modes and negative refraction in metal nanowire composites," Opt. Express, Vol. 11, 735-745, 2003.
9. Shalaev, V. M., W. Cai, U. K. Chettiar, H.-K. Yuan, A. K. Sarychev, V. P. Drachev, and A. V. Kildishev, "Negative index of refraction in optical metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 30, No. 24, 3356-3358, 2005.
10. Burlak, G., A. D-de-Anda, R. S. Salgado, and J. P. Ortega, "Narrow transmittance peaks in a multilayered microsphere with a quasiperiodic left-handed stack," Optics Commun., Vol. 283, No. 19, 3569-3577, 2010.
11. Burlak, G., "Spectrum of Cherenkov radiation in dispersive metamaterials with negative refraction index," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 149-158, 2012.
12. G., V. Rabinovich, "Time-frequency integrals and the stationary phase method in problems of waves propagation from moving sources," Symmetry, Integrability and Geometry: Methods and Applications, Vol. 8, 096, 21, 2012.
13. Burlak, G. and A. D-de-Anda, "The field confinement, narrow transmission resonances and Green function of a multilayered microsphere with metamaterial defects," Journal of Atomic, Molecular, and Optical Physics, Article ID 217020, 1-13, 2011.
14. Xiao, S., V. P. Drachev, A. V. Kildishev, X. Ni, U. K. Chettiar, H.-K. Yuan, and V. M. Shalaev, "Loss-free and active optical negative-index metamaterials," Nature, Vol. 466, 735-738, 2010.
15. Deb, S. and S. D. Gupta, "Absorption and dispersion in metamaterials: Feasibility of device applications," J. Phys, Vol. 75, No. 5, 837-854, 2010.
16. Cherenkov, P. A., "Visible emission of clean liquids by action of ϒ-radiation," Dokl. Akad. Nauk., Vol. 2, 451-454, 1934.
17. Averkov, Y. O. and V. M. Yakovenko, "Cherenkov radiation by an electron particle that moves in a vacuum above a left-handed material," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, 193402-193412, 2005.
18. Duan, Z. Y., B. I. Wu, S. Xi, H. S. Chen, and M. Chen, "Research progress in reversed Cherenkov radiation in double-negative metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 75-87, 2009.
19. Xi, S., H. Chen, T. Jiang, L. Ran, J. Huangfu, B.-I. Wu, J. A. Kong, and M. Chen, "Experimental verification of reversed Cherenkov radiation in left-handed metamaterial," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 103, 194801, 2009.
20. Averkov, Y. O., A. V. Kats, and V. M. Yakovenko, "Electron beam excitation of left-handed surface electromagnetic waves at artificial interfaces," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 72, 205110-205114, 2005.
21. Zhou, J., Z. Duan, Y. Zhang, M. Hu, and W. Liu, "Numerical investigation of Cherenkov radiations emitted by an electron beam particle in isotropic double-negative metamaterials," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A, Vol. 654, No. 1, 475-480, 2011.
22. Duan, Z. Y., Y. S. Wang, X. T. Mao, W. X. Wang, and M. Chen, "Experimental demonstration of double-negative metamaterials partially filled in a circular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 215-224, 2011.
23. Duan, Z., C. Guo, and M. Chen, "Enhanced reversed Cherenkov radiation in a waveguide with double-negative metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 19, 13825-13830, 2011.
24. Zhu, L., F.-Y. Meng, F. Zhang, J. Fu, Q. Wu, X. M. Ding, and J. L.-W. Li, "An ultra-low loss split ring resonator by uppressing the electric dipole moment approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 239-254, 2013.
25. Hao, Y. and R. Mittra, FDTD Modeling of Metamaterials: Theory and Applications, Artech House, 2009.
26. Gabitov, I. R., et al., "Double-resonant optical materials with embedded metal nanoparticles," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 535-542, 2006.
27. Ginzburg, V. L., "Radiation by uniformly moving sources (Vavilov-Cherenkov effect, transition radiation, and other phenomena)," Phys. Usp., Vol. 39, 973-982, 1996.
28. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, John Willey and Sons, 1975.
29. Oughstun, K. E., Electromagnetic and Optical Pulse Propagation 2: Temporal Pulse Dynamics in Dispersive, Attenuative Media (Springer Series in Optical Sciences), Springer, 2009.
30. Yeh, P., Optical Waves in Layered Media, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1988.
31. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-Difference Time-Domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 2005.
32. Afanasiev, G. N., "Cherenkov Radiation in a Dispersive Medium, Vavilov-Cherenkov and Synchrotron Radiation, Fundamental Theories of Physics," Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004.
33. Ziolkowski, R. W., "Superluminal transmission of information through an electromagnetic metamaterial," Phys. Rev. E, Vol. 63, 046604, 2001.