A cylindrical microstrip array antenna with 5 pairs of coupled slotted strip framed patches is analyzed. The patches are proximity-fed by a cylindrical microstrip line. In order to extract the reflection coefficient from the standing wave pattern on the microstrip line, its length is about 5 wavelengths. To the best of the authors' knowledge proximity-fed cylindrical arrays have not been analyzed before using a rigorous MOM model that takes into account all electromagnetic couplings between patches and feeding line. The paper consists of three parts. The first part describes a plane wave excitation of the cylindrical microstrip structure. It introduces some innovating theoretical developments, like the improvement of the asymptote for the spectral Green's function and the explicit surface wave contribution. The second part calculates the radar cross section of the cylindrical microstrip structure with single and coupled slotted strip framed patches. The resonant frequencies, and the amplitude and phase of the current distribution are analysed. The third part describes a design for a proximity-fed array of 5 coupled slotted strip framed patches. It gives the reflection coefficient, current distribution on the patches, and radiation pattern. A very low level of cross polarization (< -40 dB) is achieved. It is shown that the resonant frequencies of the cylindrical array and its planar analogue lie very close to each other. This is due to the common nature of the low frequency slot resonance for the slotted strip framed patch.
2. Li, R., L. Xu, X. W. Shi, L. Chen, and C. Y. Cui, "Two-dimensional NC-music DOA estimation algorithm with a conformal cylindrical antenna array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 805-818, 2011.
3. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interpolated esprit algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-206, 2010.
4. Wang, Y., Y.-J. Xie, and H. Feng, "Analysis of cylindrically conformal microstrip structures using an iterative method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 87, 215-231, 2008.
5. Cooray, F. R. and J. S. Kot, "Analysis of radiation from a cylindrical-rectangular microstrip patch antenna loaded with a superstrate and an air gap, using the electric surface current mode," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 135-152, 2007.
6. Li, L. W., T. X. Zhao, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A spatial domain method of moments analysis of a cylindrical-rectangular chirostrip," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 35, 165-182, 2002.
7. Bertuch, T., F. Vipiana, and G. Vecchi, "Efficient analysis of printed structures of arbitrary shape on coated cylinders," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1425-1439, 2012.
8. Wu, K. Y. and J. F. Kaufman, "Radiation pattern computation for cylindrical-rectangular microstrip antenna," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 21, 39-42, 1983.
9. Luk, K. M., K. F. Lee and J. S. Dahele, "Analysis of the cylindrical-rectangular patch antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 2, 143-147, 1989.
10. Habashy, T. M., S. M. Ali, and J. A. Kong, "Input impedance and radiation pattern of cylindrical-rectangular and wraparound microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 38, No. 6, 722-731, 1990.
11. Silva, F. C., S. B. A. Fonseca, A. J. M. Soares, and A. J. Giarola, "Analysis of microstrip antennas on circular-cylindrical substrates with a dielectric overlay," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1398-1404, 1991.
12. Vecchi, G., T. Bertuch, and M. Orefice, "Analysis of cylindrical printed antennas with subsectional basis functions in the spectral domain," Proceedings of the International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA96), 301-304, Torino, Italy, 1996.
13. Bertuch, T., G. Vecchi, and M. Orefice, "Efficient spectral-domain simulation of conformal antennas of arbitrary shapes printed on circular cylinders," Proceedings of the Millennium Conference on Antennas & Propagation, Davos, Switzerland, April 9-14, 2000 (CD ROM).
14. Erturk, V. B. and R. G. Rojas, "Efficient analysis of input impedance and mutual coupling of microstrip antennas mounted on large coated cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 739-748, 2003.
15. Raffaelli, S., Z. Sipus, and P. S. Kildal, "Analysis and measurements of conformal patch array antennas on multilayer circular cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, No. 3, 1105-1113, 2005.
16. Svezhentsev, A. Y. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Efficient spatial domain moment method solution of cylindrically rectangular microstrip antennas," IEE Proceedings, Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 153, No. 4, 376-384, August 2006.
17. Svezhentsev, A. Y., "Input impedance of a cylindrical microstrip antenna with patches of an arbitrary shape fed by a microstrip line," Proceedings of 5rd European Workshop on Conformal Antennas, 80-83, Bristol, United Kingdom, September 10-11, 2007.
18. Svezhentsev, A. Y., "Input impedance of a probe-fed cylindrical microstrip antenna. Effective calculation of probe excitation field," Proceedings of 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (Eucap), 2477-2480, Berlin, Germany, March 23-29 2009.
19. Svezhentsev, A. Y. and V. V. Kryzhanovskiy, "Patch shape influence upon radar cross section of a cylindrical microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research B, Vol. 5, 307-324, 2009.
20. Bhartia, P., K. V. S. Rao, and R. S. Tomar, Millimeter-wave Microstrip and Printed Circuit Antennas, Artech House, Inc., Boston, London, 1991.
21. Owens, R. P., "The design and manufacture of serpent arrays and parasitic patch arrays," IEE Colloq. 1982/19, Advances in Printed Antenna Design and Manufacture, 4.1-4.3, February 1982.
22. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Voda, "A rigorous analysis of a microstripline fed patch," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 35, No. 12, 1343-1350, 1987.
23. Asimakis, N. P., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Non-invasive microwave radiometric system for intracranial applications: A study using the conformal L-notch microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 83-101, 2011.
24. Wang, X., M. Zhang, and S.-J. Wang, "Practicability analysis and application of PBG structures on cylindrical conformal microstrip antenna and array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 495-507, 2011.
25. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.
26. Zhu, X., W. Shao, J.-L. Li, and Y.-L. Dong, "Design and optimization of low RCS patch antennas based on a genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 327-339, 2012.
27. Weng, W.-C. and C.-L. Hung, "Design and optimization of a logo-type antenna for multiband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 159-174, 2012.
28. Exposito-Dominguez, G., J.-M. Fernandez Gonzalez, P. Padilla de la Torre, and M. Sierra-Castaner, "Dual circular polarized steering antenna for satellite communications in X band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 61-76, 2012.
29. Xie, J.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, J. Ren, and T. Wang, "A wideband dual-polarized patch antenna with electric probe and magnetic loop feeds," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 499-515, 2012.
30. Ahdi Rezaeieh, S. and M. Kartal, "A new triple band circularly polarized square slot antenna design with crooked T and F-shape strips for wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 1-18, 2011.
31. Gujral, M., J. L.-W. Li, T. Yuan, and C.-W. Qiu, "Bandwidth improvement of microstrip antenna array using dummy EBG pattern on feedline," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 79-92, 2012.
32. Wei, K., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "Design of a dualband omnidirectional planar microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 101-120, 2012.
33. Sze, J.-Y. and S.-P. Pan, "Design of broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna with a compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 513-533, 2011.
34. Peng, H.-L., W.-Y. Yin, J.-F. Mao, D. Huo, X. Hang, and L. Zhou, "A compact dual-polarized broadband antenna with hybrid beam-forming capabilities," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 118, 253-271, 2011.
35. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
36. Wang, P., G. Wen, J. Li, Y. Huang, L. Yang, and Q. Zhang, "Wideband circularly polarized UHF RFID reader antenna with high gain and wide axial ratio beamwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 365-385, 2012.
37. Panda, J. R. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "A printed 2.4 GHz/5.8 GHz dual-band monopole antenna with a protruding stub in the ground plane for WLAN and RFID applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 425-434, 2011.
38. Goubau, G., "Surface waves and their applications transmission lines," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 21, No. 11, 1119-1128, 1950.
39. Stratton, J. A., Electromagnetic Theory, New York and London, 1941.
40. Schelkunoff, S. A., "Some equivalence theorems of electromagnetics and their application to radiation problems," Bell Syst. Tech. Journ., Vol. 15, 92, 1936.
41. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover, New York, 1971.
42. Svezhentsev, A. Y. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Mixed-potential Green's functions for sheet electric current over metal-dielectric cylindrical structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, No. 6, 813-835, 2002.
43. Svezhentsev, A. Y. and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Spatial Green's function singularity for sheet electric current over dielectric coated cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 2, 608-611, 2004.
44. Davidovitz, M. and Y. T. Lo, "Rigorous analysis of a circular patch antenna excited by a microstrip line," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 8, 949-958, 1989.