A new circuit and technique to extend bandwidth performance while preserving improvement on efficiency performance over the one attainable by conventional distributed amplifier (DA) is presented. The theoretical analysis is described in detail, and a test vehicle is realized to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method. Output power of ~29 dBm, gain of 10 dB, covering a bandwidth from 100 to 800 MHz, PAE of 20-45% is experimentally demonstrated. The result is compared with measured result of conventional DA, a significant improvement of bandwidth and efficiency are achieved.
2. Narendra, K., C. Paoloni, E. Limiti, J. M. Collantes, R. H. Jansen, and B. S. Yarman, "Vectorially combined distributed power amplifier with load pull determination," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 16, 1137-1138, Aug. 2010.
3. Narendra, K., L. Anand, P. Sangaran, and V. Vitaliy, "High efficiency applying drain impedance tapering for 600mW pHEMT distributed power amplifier," IEEE International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 1769-1772, Apr. 2008.
4. Olson, S., B. Thomson, and B. Stengel, "Distributed amplifier with narrowband amplifier efficiency," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 155-158, Jun. 2007.
5. Narendra, K., C. Paoloni, and E. Limiti, "High performance 1.5W pHEMT distributed power amplifier with adjustable inter-stage cascaded network for 10 ÷ 2000 MHz," IEEE International 14th Microwave Techniques (COMITE), 1-4, Apr. 2008.
6. Botterill, I. A. and C. S. Aitchison, "Effects of hybrids on gain performance of dual-fed distributed amplifiers," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, No. 13, 1067-1068, Jun. 1994.
7. Agostino, S. D. and C. Paoloni, "Innovative power distributed amplifier using the Wilkinson combiner," IEE Proc. Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 142, No. 2, 97-101, Apr. 1995.
8. Agostino, S. D. and C. Paoloni, "Design of high performance power distributed amplifier using lange couplers," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 281-284, Jun. 1994.
9. Eccleston, K. W., "Compact dual fed distributed amplifier," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 53, No. 3, 825-831, Mar. 2005.
10. Wu, C. M. and T. Itoh, "Dual-fed distributed amplifier-based CRLH-leaky wave antenna for gain-enhanced power combining," International Microwave Workshop Series on Innovative Wireless Power Transmission, May 2012.
11. Ng-Molina, F. Y., T. M. Martin-Guerrero, and C. Camacho-Penlosa, "Power and gain considerations in distributed amplifiers based on composite right/lefthanded transmission lines," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 8, 1000-1006, 2010.
12. Beyer, J. B., S. N. Prasad, R. C. Becker, J. E. Norman, and G. K. Hohenwarter, "MESFET distributed amplifier design guidelines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 32, No. 3, 268-275, Mar. 1984.
13. Wong, T. T. Y., Fundamentals of Distributed Amplification, Artech House, 1993.
14. Aitchison, C. S., N. Bukhari, and O. S. Tang, "The enhanced performance of the dual-fed distributed amplifier," 19th European Microwave Conference, 439-444, Sep. 1989.
15. Liang, J. Y. and C. S. Aitchison, "Gain performance of cascade of single stage distributed amplifiers," Electronics Letters, Vol. 31, No. 15, 1260-1261, Jul. 1995.
16. Agostino, S. D. and C. Paoloni, "Design of high performance power distributed amplifier using lange couplers," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 42, No. 12, 2525-2530, Dec. 1994.
17. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, third Edition, John Wiley third Edition, John Wiley.
18. Bahl, I., Lumped Elements for RF and Microwave Circuits, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 2003.
19. Noriega, F. and P. J. Gonzalez, "Designing LC Wilkinson power splitters," RF Design, Aug. 2002.
20. Osman, A. F. and N. M. Noh, "Wideband LNA design for SDR radio using balanced amplifier topology," 4th Symposium Quality Electronic Design (ASQED), 86-90, Sep. 2012.
21. Merkin, T. B., J. C. Li, S. Jung, M. Lu, J. Gao, and C. L. Sung, "A 100-960 Mhz MCOS Ultra wideband LNA," 51st Midwest Symposium on Circuit and Systems, 141-144, 2008.
22. Narendra, K., L. Anand, M. F. Ain, and S. I. Hassan, "Constant efficiency achievement with switched gain stage and drain supply adjustment method for UHF RF power amplifier," Microwave Journal, Vol. 51, No. 9, 120-126, Sep. 2008.
23. Cumana, J., S. Guolin, K. Narendra, and R. H. Jansen, "An extended topology of parallel-circuit class-E power amplifier to account for larger output capacitances," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 59, No. 12, 3174-3183, Dec. 2011.
24. Thein, T. T., C. L. Law, and K. Fu, "Frequency domain dynamic thermal analysis in GaAs Hbt for power amplifier applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 71-87, 2011.
25. Wong, S.-K., F. KungWai Lee, S. Maisurah, and M. N. B. Osman, "A wimedia compliant CMOS RF power amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) transmitter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 329-347, 2011.
26. Li, S., B. Tang, Y. Liu, S. Li, C. Yu, and Y. Wu, "Miniaturized dual-band matching technique based on coupled-line transformer for dual-band power amplifiers design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 195-210, 2012.
27. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, S. Li, and S. Li, "A novel high-power amplifier using a generalized coupled-line transformer with inherent DC-block function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 171-190, 2011.