This paper proposes a coupling model of the Quasi-Continuous High Magnetic Field (QCHMF) systems that incorporates the electrical, thermal and mechanical dynamics of the magnet system and the power supply system. The design of QCHMF systems is formulated as a five-objective optimization problem and a scoring system based on preference of the designer is adopted to classify the Pareto points of the optimization problem. An optimized mono-coil 50 T/100 ms QCHMF system is designed with a 67.5 MW rectifier of the Wuhan National High Magnetic Field Center (WHMFC), which is taken as an example to verify the proposed model and optimization method. Detailed simulation models of the optimized QCHMF system are built in Matlab and Comsol and the results agree well with the designed technical specifications. The proposed model and optimization method are generic which can be applied to other QCHMF systems with minor modifications.
2. Sun, F. and S. He, "Create a uniform static magnetic field over 50T in a large free space region," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 149-157, 2013.
3. Ravaud, R. and G. Lemarquand, "Magnetic field in MRI yokeless devices: Analytical approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 327-341, 2009.
4. Gersdorf, R., L. W. Roeland, and W. Mattens, "A magnet for semi-continuous fields up to 60 T," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 24, 1052-1054, 1988.
5. Sims, J. R., J. B. Schillig, G. S. Boebinger, H. Coe, A. W. Paris, M. J. Gordon, M. D. Pacheco, T. G. Abeln, R. G. Hoagland, M. C. Mataya, K.Han, and A. Ishmaku, "The U. S. NHMFL 60T long pulse magnet failure," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 12, 480-483, 2002.
6. Singleton, J., C. H. Mielke, A. Migliori, G. S. Boebinger, and A. H. Lacerda, "The national high magnetic field laboratory pulsedfield facility at Los Alamos National Laboratory," Physica B, Vol. 346, 614-617, 2004.
7. Groessinger, R., M. Schonhart, M. Kriegisch, M. Haas, and H. Sassik, "High field facilities at TU Vienna," J. Low Temp. Phys., Vol. 159, 394-401, 2010.
8. Ding, H., J. Hu, W. Liu, Y. Xu, C. Jiang, T. Ding, L. Li, X. Duan, and Y. Pan, "Design of a 135MW power supply for a 50T pulsed magnet," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 22, 5400504-5400504, 2012.
9. Weiming, M., H. An, L. Dezhi, and Z. Gaifan, "Stability of a synchronous generator with diode-bridge rectifier and back-EMF load," IEEE Trans. Energy Convers., Vol. 15, No. 4, 458-463, 2000.
10. Gersdorf, R., F. A. Muller, and L. W. Roeland, "Design of high field magnet coils for long pulses," Rev. Sci. Instrum., Vol. 36, 1100-1109, 1965.
11. Herlach, F., K. Rosseel, and J. Vanacken, "Frontiers of pulsed magnet design," IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond., Vol. 14, 1229-1232, 2004.
12. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Pareto optimal Yagi-Uda antenna design using multi-objective differential evolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 231-251, 2010.
13. Touati, S., R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Djerdir, "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011.
14. Zhang, Z. and Y. H. Lee, "A robust cad tool for integrated design of UWB antenna system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 441-457, 2011.
15. Huang, M., S. Yang, J. Teng, Q. Zhu, and Z.-P. Nie, "Multiobjective optimization and design of a Luneberg lens antenna with multiband multi-polarized feed-system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 251-269, 2012.
16. Blasco, X., J. M. Herrero, J. Sanchis, and M. Martinez, "A new graphical visualization of n-dimensional Pareto front for decision making in multiobjective optimization," Inform. Sciences, Vol. 178, 3908-3924, 2008.
17. Messac, A., "Physical programming: Effective optimization for computational design," AIAA Journal, Vol. 34, 149-158, 1996.