In this paper, we propose a new antenna structure that can be adjusted for narrow band as well as UWB applications. The proposed antenna is of very simple geometry and easy to manufacture. It is monopole type antenna and made of copper. We present antennas with the same geometrical concept and different dimensions. Antenna designed for narrow band operation exhibits 3.7% bandwidth at 800 MHz frequency (S11 < -10 dB). Two UWB antenna designs exhibit 77% bandwidth (from 2 to 4.5 GHz) and 54% bandwidth (from 2.6 to 4.5 GHz) and are of smaller size compared to the dielectric resonator antennas (DRA). Furthermore, it can be easily shown that using the proposed geometry broad family of antennas (for operation in various frequency bands) can be designed.
2. Makarov, S. N. and V. Iyer, "A narrowband patch antenna with a dielectric patch," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, 2008.
3. Shynu, S. and M. Amman, "A printed CPW-fed slot-loop antenna with narrowband omnidirectional features," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, 673-680, 2009.
4. Lin, C. C. and H. R. Chuang, "A 2.4 GHz planar printed antenna with omni-directional horizontally polarized pattern for WLAN applications," 33rd European Microwave Conference, 1275-1278, Munich, Germany, 2003.
5. Chen, Z. N., "A new bi-arm roll antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 672-677, 2005.
6. Wu, X. H. and Z. N. Chen, "Comparison of planar dipoles in UWB applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 1973-1983, 2005.
7. Suh, S. Y., W. L. Stutzman, and W. A. Davis, "A new ultrawideband printed monopole antenna: The planar inverted cone antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, 1361-1364, 2004.
8. Lee, J. N., J. H. Yoo, J. H. Kim, J. K. Park, and J. S. Kim, "A novel UWB antenna using PI-shaped matching stub for UWB applications," IEEE International Conference on Ultral-Wideband, Vol. 1, 109-112, 2008.
9. Wong, K. L., S. W. Su, and C. L. Tang, "Broadband omnidirectional metal-plate monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 581-583, 2005.
10. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB dielectric resonator antenna mounted on a vertical ground plane edge," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1-4, North Charleston, 2009.
11. Kishk, A. A., "Wideband dielectric resonator antenna in truncated tetrahedron form excited by a coaxial probe," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagations, Vol. 51, 2907-2912, 2003.
12. Zivkovic, I., "Ultra-wide band box shaped loaded monopole antenna," European Electromagnetics Conference, Lausanne, Switzerland, 2008.
13. Zhang, B., G. Wiggins, Q. Duan, and D. K. Sodickson, "Design of a patch antenna for creating traveling waves at 7 tesla," Proceedings of International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, Vol. 7, No. 4746, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 2009.
14. Sugimoto, S. and H. Iwasaki, "Wide band planar monopole antenna with asymmetric parasitic elements," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, 2010.
15. Ammann, M. J. and Z.-N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, 146-150, 2003.
16. Yuehe, G. and K. P. Esselle, "A dielectric resonator antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2009.
17. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband simple cylindrical dielectric resonator antennas," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 241-243, 2005.
18. Guha, D. and Y. M. M. Antar, "New half-hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna for broadband monopole-type radiation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, 3621-3628, 2006.
19. Esselle, K. P. and T. S. Bird, "A hybrid-resonator antenna: Experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 53, 870-871, 2005.