A novel switchable beam textile antenna (SBTA) for wireless body area network (WBAN) applications is proposed. The SBTA is centrally-fed by a coaxial probe and the power distributed over four circular radiating elements. Four RF switches are integrated through which the SBTA is able to generate beam steering in four directions: 0°, 90°, 180°, and 270°, with a maximum directivity of 6.8 dBi at 0°. Its small size (88 mm x 88 mm) and flexibility enables the structure to be easily integrated into safety jackets, rain coats, etc., for tracking, and search and rescue communication purposes. The structure successfully integrates reconfigurability into a wearable textile antenna.
2. Michalopoulou, , A., , A. A. Alexandridis, K. Peppas, T. Zervos, F. Lazarakis, K. Dangakis, and D. I. Kaklamani, "Statistical analysis for on-body spatial diversity communication at 2.45 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 8, 4014-4019, 2012.
3. Alves, , T., , B. Poussot and J.-M. Laheurte, "PIFA-top-loaded-monopole antenna with diversity features for WBAN application," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Letters,, Vol. 10, 693-696, 2011.
4. Osman, , M. A. R., , M. K. A. Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, H. A. M. Salim, and M. F. Ali, "Embroidered fully textile wearable antenna for medical monitoring applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 321-337, 2011..
5. Osman, , M. A. R., , M. K. A. Rahim, M. Azfar, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
6. Yuehui, , O. , W. J. Chappell, and , "High frequency properties of electro-textiles for wearable antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 2, 381-389, 2008.
7. Klemm, M. and G. Troster, "Textile UWB antenna for on-body communications," The European Conference Antennas and Propagation, 2006.
8. Rais, N. H. M., , P. J. Soh, S. Ahmad, N. B. M. Hashim, and P. S. Hall, "A review of wearable antenna," IEEE Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference,, 2009.
9. Soh, , P. J., , B. Van den Bergh, H. Xu, H. Aliakbarian, S. Farsi, P. Samal, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, D. Schreurs, and B. Nauwelaers, "A smart wearable textile array system for biomedical telemetry applications, ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 1-9, 2013.
10. Soh, , P. J., , G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and M. R. N. Husna, "Wearable dual-band Sierpinski fractal PIFA using conductive fabric ," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, 365-367, 2011.
11. Santas, , J. G., , A. Alomainy, and H. Yang, "Textile antennas for on-body communications: Techniques and properties," The European Conference Antennas and Propagation,, 2007.
12. Kang, , W., , K. H. Ko, and K. Kim, , "A compact beam reconfigurable antenna for symmetric beam switching," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 129, 1-16, 2012..
13. Monti, , G., , L. Corchia, and L. Tarricone, , "A microstrip antenna with a reconfigurable pattern for RFID applications ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 45, 101-116, , 2012.
14. Vu, T. M., , G. Prigent, J. Ruan, and R. Plana,s, "Design and fabrication of RF-MEMS switch for V-band reconfigurable application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 39, 301-318, 2012.
15. Al-Husseini, , M., , L. Safatly, A. Ramadan, A. El-Hajj, K. Y. Kabalan, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Reconfigurable filter antennas for pulse adaptation in UWB cognitive radio systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 37, , 327-342, 2012.
16. Martinez-Lopez, , R., , J. Rodriguez-Cuevas, A. E. Martynyuk, and J. I. Martinez-Lopez, "An active ring slot with RF MEMS switchable radial stubs for reconfigurable frequency selective surface applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 419-440, 2012..
17. Saed, , M. A., , "Reconfigurable broadband microstrip antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 227-239, 2005.
18. Kamarudin, , M. R. B., P. S. Hall, F. Colombel, and M. Himdi, "Electronically switched beam disk-loaded monopole array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 339-347, 2010.
19. Jusoh, , M., , M. F. Jamlos, M. R. Kamarudin, F. Malek, M. A. Romli, Z. A. Ahmad, M. H. Mat, and M. S. Zulkiflie, "A reconfigurable ultra-wideband (UWB) compact tree-design antenna system ," Progress In Electromagnetics and Research C,, Vol. 30, 131-145, 2012.
20. Jusoh, , M., M. F. Jamlos, M. F. Malek, M. R. Kamarudin, and M. S. Mustafa, "A switchable ultra-wideband (UWB) to tri-band antenna design, ," IEEE Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, 2011.
21. Jamlos, , M. F., , T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, O. A. Aziz, and M. A. Shamsudin, "Adaptive beam steering of RLSA antenna with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 65-80, 2010..
22. Jamlos, , M. F., , O. A. Aziz, T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. T. Ali, and M. N. Md Tan, "A reconfigurable radial line slot array (RLSA) antenna for beam shape and broadside application," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 24, No. 8--9, 1171-1182, 2010.
23. Li, , X. , M. Yin, and , "Design of a reconfigurable antenna array with discrete phase shifters using differential evolution algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 29-43, 2011.
24. Jamlos, , M. F., , T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, M. A. Jamlos, M. A. Romli, Z. A. Ahmad, M. F. Malek, M. Jusoh, N. F. Kahar, and S. K. A. Rahim, "A novel green antenna phase-shift system with data acquisition system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 41, 137-152, 2012.
25. Ali, , M. T., , T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, and M. N. Md Tan, "A planar antenna array with separated feed line for higher gain and sidelobe reduction ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 8, 69-82, 2009.
26. Soh, P. J., , S. J. Boyes, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, Y. Huang, and S. L. Ooi , "On body characterization of dual-band all-textile PIFAs," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 129, 517-539, 2012.
27. Soh, , P. J., , G. A. E. Vandenbosch, V. Volski, and M. R. N. Husna, "Characterization of a broadband textile planar inverted-F antenna (PIFA) for on body communications, ," International Conference on Applied Electromagnetics and Communications,, 1-4, 2010.
28. Soh, P. J., , G. A. E. Vandenbosch, S. L. Ooi, and H. M. R. Nurul, "Design of a broadband all-textile slotted PIFA," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 60, No. 1, 379-384, 2012.
29. Mantash, , M., A.-C. Tarot S. Collardey, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Investigation of flexible textile antennas and AMC reflectors," Hindawi Publishing Corporation International Journal of Antennas and Propagation,, Vol. 2012, 1-10, 2012,.
30. Rappaport, , T. S., Wireless Communications: Principles and Practice, , Prentice Hall, 2001.
31. Yarkony, , N. and N. Blaunstein, "Prediction of propagation characteristics in indoor radio communication environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 59, 151-174, 2006.