A compact multiband handset antenna including MIMO antenna operation for LTE 13 band (746~787 MHz) applications is proposed. The proposed antennas are separately located on the top and bottom portions of a mobile handset in order to use the antenna area more effectively. The proposed antenna achieves isolations of higher than 14 dB, enveloped correlation coefficients (ECC) of less than 0.25, and total efficiencies of greater than 40%. The operating frequency bands of Antenna 1 and Antenna 2 include the LTE 13 (746~787 MHz)/DCS/PCS/UMTS (1710~2170 MHz) bands and the LTE 13 (746~787 MHz)/GSM850/900 (824~960 MHz) bands, respectively.
2. Sharawi, , M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, , "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
3. Krairiksh, , M., , P. Keowsawat, C. Phongcharoenpanich, and S. Kosulvit, "Two-probe excited circular ring antenna for MIMO application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 417-431, 2009.
4. Lee, , J.-H. , C.-C. Cheng, and , "Spatial correlation of multiple antenna arrays in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 347-368, 2012.
5. Yoon, , C., , S.-G. Hwang, G.-C. Lee, W.-S. Kim, H.-C. Lee, C.-H. Lee, and H.-D. Park, "A frequency-selecting technique for mobile handset antennas based on capacitance switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 138, 99-113, 2013.
6. Kusuma, A. H., , A.-F. Sheta, I. M. Elshafiey, Z. Siddiqui, M. A. S. Alkanhal, S. Aldosari, S. A. Alshebeili, and S. F. Mahmoud, "A new low SAR antenna structure for wireless handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 23-40, 2011.
7. Zhao, , K., , S. Zhang, Z. Ying, T. Bolin, and S. He, "Reduce the hand-effect body loss for LTE mobile antenna in CTIA talking and data modes ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 137, 73-85, 2013.
8. Harrington, , R. F. , J. R. Mautz, and , "Theory of characteristic modes for conducting bodies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 19, No. 5, 622-628, 1971.
9. Mak, , A. C. K., , C. R. Rowell, and R. D. Murch, "Isolation enhancement between two closely packed antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 3411-3419, 2008.
10. Chou, , H.-T., , H.-C. Cheng, H.-T. Hsu, and L.-R. Kuo, "Investigations of isolation improvement techniques for multiple input multiple output (MIMO) WLAN portable terminal applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 85, 349-366, 2008.
11. Cui, , S., , S. X. Gong, Y. Liu, W. Jiang, and Y. Guan, "Compact and low coupled monopole antennas for MIMO system applications ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5--6, 703-712, 2011.
12. Gong, , Q., , Y.-C. Jiao, and S.-X. Gong, , "Compact MIMO antennas using a ring hybrid for WLAN applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2--3, 431-441, 2011.
13. Li, , J. F. , Q. X. Chu, and , "A compact dual-band MIMO antenna of mobile phone," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 25, No. 11--12, , 1577-1586, 2011.