Inverse synthetic aperture radar (ISAR) imaging is one of the most well-known techniques of radar target recognition. One of the most important issues in ISAR imaging is the improvement of the image smeared by a target with complicated motion. In this paper, we propose the discrete Gabor representation (DGR) in an oversampling scheme as an effective means of obtaining a well-focused ISAR image with a short calculation time. In contrast to other linear time-frequency transforms, the DGR obtains Gabor coefficients using the analysis window frames derived from the clearly defined synthesis window. The oversampling scheme of the DGR leads to accurate calculations of the Gabor coefficients, which denote signal time-frequency amplitude. Since each Gabor coefficient is compartmentally assigned to the associated unit cell of the time-frequency grid, the DGR can show an excellent time-frequency concentration and can effectively discriminate the Doppler components of prominent point-scatterers. The simulation results demonstrate that the DGR not only has enhanced focusing performance but also retains computational efficiency. The DGR in the oversampling scheme is expected to facilitate high-quality ISAR imaging in radar target recognition.
2. Zhang, , M., Y. W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W. Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, , 2011.
3. Wu., J., , Z. Li, Y. Huang, Q. H. Liu, and J. Yang, , "Processing one-stationary bistatic SAR data using inverse scaled Fourier transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, , 143-159, 2012.
4. Park, J. I. and K. T. Kim, "A comparative study on ISAR imaging algorithms for radar target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 155-175, 2010.
5. Park, , S. H., , J. H. Lee, and K. T. Kim, "Performance analysis of the scenario-based construction method for real target ISAR recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
6. Calvo-Gallego, J. and F. Perez-Martinez, "Simple traffc surveil-lance system based on range-Doppler radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 343-364, 2012.
7. Buddendick, , H. and T. F. Eibert, "Bistatic image formation from shooting and bouncing rays simulated current distributions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, , 1-18, 2011..
8. Jia, , Y., , L. Kong, and X. Yang, "A novel approach to target localization through unknown walls for through-the-wall radar imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 107-132, 2011.
9. Felguera-Martin, , D., J. T. Gonzalez-Partida, and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Interferometric ISAR imaging on maritime target applications: Simulation of realistic targets and dynamics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 571-586, 2012.
10. Park, S. H., , J. I. Park, and K. T. Kim, "Motion compensation for squint mode spotlight SAR imaging using efficient 2D interpolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
11. Liu, , B. and W. Chang, "Range alignment and motion compensation for missile-borne frequency stepped chirp radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 523-542, 2013.
12. Jeong, , H. R., H. T. Kim, and K. T. Kim, "Application of subarray averaging and entropy minimization algorithm to stepped-frequency ISAR autofocus," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 4, 1144-1154, 2008.
13. Kirkland, D. M., "An alternative range migration correction algo-rithm for focusing moving targets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 227-241, 2012.
14. Liu, , B. and W. Chang, "A novel range-spread target detection approach for frequency stepped chirp radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 275-292, 2012..
15. Chen, V. C. , H. Ling, and , "Time-frequency Transforms for Radar Imaging and Signal Analysis," Artech House,, 2002.
16. Chen, , V. C. and S. Qian, "Joint time-frequency transform for radar range-Doppler imaging," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 34, No. 2, 486-499, 1998.
17. Hajduch, , G., , J. M. LevCallec, and R. Garello, "Airborne high-resolution ISAR imaging of ship targets at sea," IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 40, No. 1, 378-384, 2004.
18. Shin, S. Y. and N. H. Myung, "The application of motion compensation of ISAR image for a moving target in radar target recognition," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 6, 1673-1678, 2008..
19. Berizzi, , F., , E. D. Mese, M. Diani, and M. Martorella, "High-resolution ISAR imaging of maneuvering targets by means of the range instantaneous Doppler technique: Modeling of the range instantaneous Doppler," IEEE Trans. Image Processing, Vol. 10, No. 12, 1880-1890, 2001.
20. Peng, , J., , L. Dan, D.Liu, G.-M. Wang, and H. Yuan, "Recon-struction of ISAR imaging using time-frequency distribution series method," 1st Asian and Pacific Conference on Synthetic Aperture Radar,, 351-354, , 2007.
21. Choi, I. S., , B. L. Cho, and H. T. Kim, "ISAR motion compensation using evolutionary adaptive wavelet transform," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 150, No. 4, 229-233, 2003.
22. Thayaparan, T., , G. Lampropoulos, S. K. Wong, and E. Rise-borough, "Application of adaptive joint time-frequency algorithm for focusing distorted ISAR images from simulated and measured radar data," IEE Proc. Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 150, No. 4, 213-220, 2003..
23. Brinkman, W. and T. Thayaparan, "Focusing ISAR images using the AJTF optimized with the GA and the PSO algorithm-comparison and results," 2006 IEEE Conference on Radar, 2006..
24. Du, L. and G. Su, "Adaptive inverse synthetic aperture radar imaging for nonuniformly moving targets," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 2, No. 3, 247-249, 2005..
25. Thayaparan, T., L. J. Stankovic, C. Wernik, and M. Dakovic, "Real-time motion compensation, image formation and image enhancement of moving targets in ISAR and SAR using S-method-based approach," IET Signal Processing, Vol. 2, No. 3, 247-264, 2008..
26. Wexler, , J. , S. Raz, and , "Discrete Gabor expansion," Signal Processing, Vol. 21, No. 3, 207-220, 1990.
27. Zibulski, , M. and Y. Y. Zeevi, "Oversampling in Gabor scheme," IEEE Trans. Signal Processing, Vol. 41, No. 8, 2679-2985, 1993.
28. Bastiaans, , M. J., "Gabor's signal expansion and the Zak transform," Applied Optics, , Vol. 33, No. 23, 5241-5255, 1994.
29. Strohmer, T., "Approximation of dual Gabor frames, window decay, and wireless communications," Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, Vol. 11, 243-262, 2001.
30. Sondergaard, , P. L., "Efficient algorithms for the discrete Gabor transform with a long FIR window," Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 3, 456-470, 2012.
31. Zhang, , X., , J. Qin, and G. Li, "SAR target classcification using Bayesian compressive sensing with scattering centers features," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 136, 385-407, 2013.