This paper presents an effective method for reconstructing the rotation-induced micro-Doppler (m-D) from a signature corrupted by noise. An adaptive low-pass filter is employed as a preprocessor of empirical mode decomposition (EMD) in order to effectively extract the first chopping harmonic component of the rotation-induced m-D. Then the extracted component is used for reconstructing the original m-D signature in the joint time-frequency domain. Although it is difficult to interpret the time-frequency representation of the noise-corrupted signature, the reconstruction of the m-D enables the acquisition of related information and can be used for complementing other traditional analysis methods. By validating the applicability of the proposed method with measured jet engine modulation (JEM) signatures, we demonstrate that the reconstruction process presented in this paper is expected to be significantly helpful for radar target recongnition in real environments.
2. Chen, , V. C, , F. Li, S. S. Ho, and H. Wechsler, "Micro Doppler e®ect in radar: Phenomenon, model and simulation study," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 42, No. 1, 2-21, 2006.
3. Chen, V. C., , W. Miceli, and B. Himed, "Micro-Doppler analysis in ISAR --- Review and perspectives," Int. Radar Conf. --- Surveillance for a Safer World, 1-6, 2009..
4. Qi, , C., , Z. Zhao, W. Yang, Z. Nie, and G. Chen, "Electromagnetic scattering and Doppler analysis of three-dimensional breaking wave crests at low-grazing angles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 239-252, 2011..
5. Nie, D., , M. Zhang, X. Geng, and P. Zhou, "Investigation on Doppler spectral characteristics of electromagnetic backscattered echoes from dynamic nonlinear surfaces of finite-depth sea," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 169-186, 2012.
6. Chang, Y. L., C. Y. Chiang, and K. S. Chen, "SAR image simulation with application to target recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 35-57, 2011.
7. Zhang, , M., Y. W. Zhao, H. Chen, and W. Q. Jiang, "SAR imaging simulation for composite model of ship on dynamic ocean scene," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 395-412, 2011.
8. Wu, J., , Z. Li, Y. Huang, Q. H. Liu, and J. Yang, "Processing one-stationary bistatic SAR data using inverse scaled Fourier transform," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 143-159, 2012.
9. Yang, , W., , Y. Liu, G. S. Xia, and X. Xu, "Statistical mid-level features for building-up area extraction from full polarimetric SAR imagery," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 233-254, 2012.
10. Buddendick, , H. and T. F. Eibert, "Bistatic image formation from shooting and bouncing rays simulated current distributions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 1-19, 2011.
11. Calvo-Gallego, J. and F. Pierez-Martinez, "Simple traffic surveillance system based on range-Doppler radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 343-364, 2012..
12. Park, , S. H., J. H. Lee, and K. T. Kim, "Performance analysis of the scenario-based construction method for real target ISAR recognition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
13. Felguera-Martin, D., , J. T. Gonzalez-Partida, and M. Burgos-Garcia, "Interferometric ISAR imaging on maritime target applications: Simulation of realistic targets and dynamics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 571-586, 2012.
14. Bell, M. R., R. A. Grubbs, and , "JEM modeling and measurement for radar target identification," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 29, No. 1, 73-87, 1993.
15. Cuomo, , S., , P. F. Pellegrini, and E. Piazza, "Model validation for `jet engine modulation' phenomenon," IEE Electronics Letters,, Vol. 30, 2073-2074, 1994.
16. Tait, P., , Introduction to Radar Target Recognition, , IET Radar, Sonar and Navigation Series 18, 2005.
17. Cai, , C., , W. Liu, J. S. Fu, and Y. Lu, , "Radar micro-Doppler signature analysis with HHT," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 46, No. 2, 929-938, 2010..
18. Pan, , X., , W. Wang, J. Liu, D. J. Feng, Y. Liu, and G. Wang, "Features extraction of rotationally symmetric ballistic targets based on micro-Doppler," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 137, 727-740, 2013.
19. Han, , S. K., , H. T. Kim, S. H. Park, and K. T. Kim, "Efficient radar target recognition using a combination of range profile and time-frequency analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 131-140, 2010.
20. Thayaparan, T., , S. Abrol, E. Riseborough, L. Stankovic, D. Lamothe, and G. Duff, "Analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from experimental helicopter and human data," IET Radar Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 1, 289-299, 2007.
21. Setlur, P., F. Ahmadn, and M. Amin, , "Helicopter radar return analysis: Estimation and blade number selection," Signal Processing, Vol. 91, 1409-1424, 2011..
22. Pouliguen. , P., L. Lucas, F. Muller, S. Quete, and C. Terret, "Calculation and analysis of electromagnetic scattering by helicopter rotating blades," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, 1396-1408, 2002.
23. Lim, H., , J. H. Park, J. H. Yoo, C. H. Kim, K. I. Kwon, and N. H. Myung, "Joint time-frequency analysis of radar micro-Doppler signatures from aircraft engine models," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8--9, 1069-1080, 2011.
24. Park, J. H., H. Lim, and N. H. Myung, "Modified Hilbert-Huang transform and its application to measured micro Doppler signatures from realistic jet engine models," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 255-268, 2012.
25. Huang, , N. E., , Z. Shen, S. R. Long, M. C. Wu, H. H. Shih, Q. Zheng, N. C. Yen, C. C. Tung, and H. H. Liu, , "The empirical mode decomposition and the Hilbert spectrum for nonlinear and non-stationary time series analysis," Proc. of the Royal Society A, , Vol. 454, No. 1971, 679-699, 1998.
26. Flandrin, , P., G. Rilling, and P. Goncalves, "Empirical mode decomposition as a filter bank," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 11, 112-114, , 2004.
27. Yinfeng, D., Y. Li, M. Xiao, and M. Lai, "Analysis of earthquake ground motions using an improved Hilbert-Huang transform," Mechanical System and Signal Processing, Vol. , No. 22, 7-19, 2008.
28. Bai, X., M. Xing, F. Zhou, G. Lu, and Z. Bao, "Imaging of micromotion targets with rotating parts based on empirical mode decomposition ," IEEE Trans. Geoscience and Remote Sensing,, Vol. 46, No. 11, 3514-3523, 2008..