A high linearity down-conversion mixer for the application of the fourth generation (4G) mobile communication systems is presented. The presented 2.3 to 5.8 GHz broadband mixer adopts current-reused and bulk-controlled techniques. The linearized transconductor stage is composed of the CMOS amplifiers and the bulk-controlled compensation (BCC) transistors. The bulk-controlled voltage is applied to adjust the threshold voltage of the BCC transistor. Thus, the equivalent third-order intermodulation (IM3) term of the CMOS amplifiers and the BCC transistors can be mitigated so as to improve the linearity. Furthermore, the current-reused architecture enhances the conversion gain of the proposed mixer and compensates the loss caused by the shunt feedback matching network. The presented mixer consumes 4.8 mA from a 1.5 V power supply. The measurement results of the mixer exhibit the maximum power conversion gain of 11.3 dB. The input third-order intercept point (IIP3) of 4.7 dBm over the entire 2.3-5.8 GHz band is observed.
2. Ban, , Y.-L., , J.-H. Chen, S.-C. Sun, J. L.-W. Li, and J.-H. Guo, "Printed wideband antenna with chip-capacitor-loaded inductive strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS WWAN wireless USB dongle applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 128, 313-329, 2012.
3. Wan, Q. , C. Wang, and , "A wideband CMOS current-mode down-conversion mixer for multi-standard receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 421-437, 2012.
4. Wang, S. , S. , B.-Z. Huang, and , "Design of low-loss and highly-selective CMOS active bandpass filter at K-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 331-346, 2012.
5. Jang, , S.-L., Y.-S. Lin, C.-W. Chang, and M.-H. Juang, "A three-phase voltage-controlled oscillator using a composite LC transmission-line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 27, 151-160, 2011..
6. El Maazouzi, L., , A. Mediavilla, and P. Colantonio, "A contribution to linearity improvement of a highly effcient PA for WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 59-84, 2011.
7. Chen, , W.-Y., , M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012.
8. Yang, , C.-F., , Y.-C. Chen, C.-Y. Kung, J.-J. Lin, and T.-P. Sun, "Design and fabrication of a compact quad-band bandpass filter using two di®erent parallel positioned resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 159-172, 2011.
9. Chen, , C.-Y., C.-C. Lin, and , "The design and fabrication of a highly compact microstrip dual-band bandpass filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 299-307, 2011.
10. Gilbert, , B., "The multi-tanh principle: A tutorial overview," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits , Vol. 33, No. 1, 2-17, 1998.
11. Lee, , S.-G. , J.-K. Choi, and , "Current-reuse bleeding mixer," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 8, 696-697, 2000.
12. Li, Q., J. Zhang, W. Li, and J.-S. Yuan, "CMOS RF mixer no-linearity design," Proc. 44th IEEE Midwest Symp. Circuits Syst., Vol. 2, 808-811, 2001.
13. Gilbert, , B., "A new wideband amplifier techniques," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 3, No. 4, 335-365, 1968.
14. Kim, , T. W. and B. Kim, "A 13-dB IIP3 improved low-power CMOS RF programmable gain amplifier using differential circuit transconductance linearization for various terrestrial mobile D-TV applications," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits,, Vol. 41, No. 4, 945-953, 2006.
15. Kim, , T. W., , B. Kim, and K. Lee, "Highly linear receiver front-end adopting MOSFET transconductance linearization by multiple gated transistors," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 1, 223-229, 2004.
16. Liang, K.-H., C.-H. Lin, H.-Y. Chang, and Y.-J. Chan, , "A new linearization technique for CMOS RF mixer using third-order transconductance cancellation," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 350-352, 2008.
17., BSIM3v3.3 MOSFET Model Users' Manual, , Univ. of California, Berkeley, 2006.
18. Deen, , M. J., , R. Murji, N. Jafferali, and W. Ngan, , "Low-power CMOS integrated circuits for radio frequency applications," IEE Proc. Circuits, Devices Syst., Vol. 153, No. 5, 509-522, 2005.
19. Huang, M.-F., , S.-Y. Lee, and C.-J. Kuo, , "A 5.25 GHz CMOS even harmonic mixer with an enhancing inductance," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits Syst., Vol. 3, 2116-2119, 2005.
20. Chao, , S.-Y. and C.-Y. Yang, "A 2.4-GHz 0.18-um CMOS doubly balanced mixer with high linearity," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. VLSI Design, Automation Test, 247-250, 2008.
21. Yang, , T.-Y., H.-L. Tu, and H.-K. Chiou, "Low-voltage high-linear and isolation transformer based mixer for direct conversion receiver," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Circuits Syst., 3754-3757, 2006.