Transmission tunneling properties and frequency response of multilayer structure are theoretically presented by using transfer matrix method. The structure is composed of double-negative and double-positive slabs which is sandwiched between two semi-infinite free space regions. Double-negative layers are realized by using Lorenz- and Drude-medium parameters. The transmission characteristics of the proposed multilayer structure based on the constitutive parameters, dispersion, and loss are analyzed in detail. Finally, the computations of the transmittance for multilayer structure are presented in numerical results. It can be seen from the numerical results that the multilayer structure can be used to design efficient filters and sensors for several frequency regions.
2. Pendry, , J. B., A. Holden, W. Stewart, and I. Youngs, "Extremely low frequency plasmons in metallic mesostructures," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 76, 4773- 4776, 1996.
3. Pendry, , J. B., , A. J. Hollen, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors, and enhanced non-linear phenomena," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
4. Shelby, , R. A., , D. R. Smith, and S. Schultz, "Experimental verification of a negative index of refraction," Science, Vol. 292, 77-79, 2001.
5. Fu, , C. J., , Z. M. Zhang, and D. B. Tanner, "Energy transmission by photon tunneling in multilayer structures including negative index materials," ASME J. Heat Transf.,, Vol. 127, 1046-1052, 2005.
6. Zhang, , Z. M., C. J. Fu, and , "Unusual photon tunneling in the presence of a layer with a negative refractive index," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 80, 1097-1099, 2002.
7. Sabah, , C. and H. G. Roskos, "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012.
8. Sabah, C. , H. G. Roskos, and , "Broadside-coupled triangular split-ring-resonators for terahertz sensing," Eur. Phys. J. --- Appl. Phys., Vol. 61, 30402, 2013.
9. Edwards, , B., A. Alu, M. Silveirinha, and N. Engheta, "Comparison between e-near-zero and fabry-perot resonant transmission through waveguide bends and channels," XXIX URSI General Assembly, 2008.
10. Luo, Z., Z. Tang, Y. Xiang, H. Luo, and S. Wen, "Polarization-independent low-pass spatial filters based on one-dimensional photonic crystals containing negative-index materials," Appl. Phys. Lett. B, Vol. 94, 641-646, 2009.
11. Butler, C. A. M., , I. R. Hooper, A. P. Hibbins, J. R. Sambles, and P. A. Hobson, "Metamaterial tunnel barrier gives broadband microwave transmission ," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 109, 013104, , 2011.
12. Zhou, X., G. Hu, and , "Total transmission condition for photon tunneling in a layered structure with metamaterials," J. Opt. A: Pure Appl. Opt., Vol. 9, 60-65, 2007..
13. Sabah, , C. and S. Uckun, "Multilayer system of Lorentz/Drude type metamaterials with dielectric slabs and its application to electromagnetic filters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 349-364, 2009.
14. Sabah, C., , G. Ogucu, and S. Uckun, "Reflected and transmitted powers of electromagnetic wave through a double-negative slab," J. Optoelectron. Adv. Mater., Vol. 8, 1925-1930, 2006.
15. Sabah, C., S. Uckun, and , "Electromagnetic wave propagation through frequency-dispersive and lossy double-negative slab," Opto.-Electron. Rev., Vol. 15, 133-143, 2007.
16. Liu, L., C. Hu, Z. Zhao, and X. Luo, "Multi-passband tunneling effect in multilayered epsilon-near-zero metamaterials," Opt. Express, Vol. 17, 12183-12188, 2009.
17. Sabah, C., "Effects of loss factor on plane wave propagation through a left-handed material slab," Acta Phys. Pol. A, Vol. 113, 1589-1597, 2008.
18. Ding, , Y., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and H. Chen, , "Electromagnetic tunneling in nonconjugated epsilon-negative and mu-negative metamaterial pair," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, 109-112, 2010.
19. Liu, N., H. C. Guo, L. W. Fu, S. Kaiser, H. Schweizer, and and, "Three-dimensional photonic metamaterials at optical frequencies," Nature Materials, Vol. 7, 31-37, 2008.
20. Liu, , N., , H. Liu, S. Zhu, and H. Giessen, "Stereometamaterials," Nature Photonics, Vol. 3, 157-162, 2009.
21. Reiten, , M. T., , D. Roy Chowdhury, J. Zhou, J. F. O'Hara, and A. K. Azad, "Resonance tuning behavior in closely spaced inhomogeneous bilayer metamaterials," Appl. Phys. Lett.,, Vol. 98, 131105, 2011.
22. Zhou, , J., D. R. Chowdhury, R. Zhao, A. K. Azad, H.-T. Chen, C. M. Soukoulis, A. J. Taylor, and J. F. O'Hara, "Terahertz chiral metamaterials with giant and dynamically tunable optical activity," Physical Review B , Vol. 86, , 035448, 2012.
23. Huang, , L. and H. Chen, "Multi-band and polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 113, 103-110, 2011.
24. Liu, , S.-H., L.-X. Guo, and , "Negative refraction in an anisotropic metamaterial with a rotation angle between the principal axis and the planar interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 243-257, 2011.
25. Li, , J., , F.-Q. Yang, and J.-F. Dong, , "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
26. Canto, , J. R., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Dispersion and losses in surface waveguides containing double negative or chiral metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 409-423, 2011.
28. Giamalaki, M. I. , I. S. Karanasiou, and , "Enhancement of a microwave radiometry imaging system's performance using left handed materials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 117, 253-265, 2011.
28. Xu, , S., , L. Yang, L. Huang, and H. Chen, "Experimental measurement method to determine the permittivity of extra thin materials using resonant metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 327-337, 2011.
29. Duan, , Z., Y. Wang, X. Mao, W.-X. Wang, and M. Chen, "Experimental demonstration of double-negative metamaterials partially filled in a circular waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 215-224, 2011.
30. Navarro-Cia, M., V. Torres, M. Beruete, and M. Sorolla, "A slow light fishnet-like absorber in the millimeter-wave range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 118, 287-301, 2011..
31. Sabah, C., Multiband planar metamaterials, "Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,", Vol. 53, 2255- 2258, 2011.
32. Cao, T. and M. J. Cryan, "Modeling of optical trapping using double negative index fishnet metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 33-49, 2012.
33. Hasar, , U. C., , J. J. Barroso, M. Ertugrul, C. Sabah, and B. Cavusoglu, "Application of a useful uncertainty analysis as a metric tool for assessing the performance of electromagnetic properties retrieval methods of bianisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 365-380, 2012.
34. Hasar, , U. C., , J. J. Barroso, C. Sabah, and Y. Kaya, "Resolving phase ambiguity in the inverse problem of reflection-only measurement methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 405-420, 2012.
35. Hasar, , U. C., , J. J. Barroso, C. Sabah, I. Y. Ozbek, Y. Kaya, D. Dal, and T. Aydin, "Retrieval of effective electromagnetic parameters of isotropic metamaterials using reference-plane invariant expressions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 425- 441, 2012.
36. Sabah, C., "Electric and magnetic excitations broadside-coupled triangular-split-ring resonators," Appl. Phys. A --- | Mater. Sci. Process., Vol. 108, 457-463, 2012.
37. Sabah, , C., , "Multi-resonant metamaterial design based on concentric V-shaped magnetic resonators," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 26, No. 8--9, 1105-1115, 2012.
38. Sabah, C., "Microwave response of octagon-shaped Low-loss metamaterial," Optics Communications, Vol. 285, 4549-4552, 2012.
39. Sabah, , C., "Multiband metamaterials based on multiple concentric open ring resonators topology," IEEE J. Sel. Top. Quantum Electron., Vol. 19, 850080, 2013.
40. Sabah, C., "Analysis, applications, and a novel design of double negative metamaterials," Ph.D. Thesis, Gaziantep University, 2008.
41. Orfanidis, S. J., Electromagnetic Waves and Antennas, Rutgers University, online book, 2004.
42. Sabah, C., "Transmission line modeling method for planar boundaries containing positive and negative index media," IEEE MMET'08 Conference Proceedings, , 2008.