The reduction in the radiation efficiency of an antenna in a mobile handset due to user's hand effects in the talking and data modes is studied. A parameter called "body loss" is defined to evaluate the degradation of the radiation efficiency. A C-fed on-ground (OG) PIFA antenna, which can cover two typical LTE bands of 0.75 GHz-0.96 GHz and 1.7 GHz-2.1 GHz, is used to study the property of the hand-effect body loss in two CITA test positions: the talking and data modes. Three different positions of the proposed antenna in the talking mode are compared, and the position with the antenna located on the bottom of the mobile handset and facing the head phantom is recommended for minimal body loss. A new modified design with a smaller antenna width is proposed to reduce the hand-effect body loss in the talking and data modes.
2. Taub, H. and D. L. Schilling, Principles of Communication Systems, McGraw-Hill, 1986.
3. Yu, W., S. Yang, C. L. Tang, and D. Tu, "Accurate simulation of the radiation performance of a mobile slide phone in a hand-head position," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 1680-177, Apr. 2010.
4. Chen, Z., Y.-L. Ban, J.-H. Chen, J. L.-W. Li, and Y.-J. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement of LTE/WWAN printed mobile phone antenna using slotted ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 469-483, 2012.
5. IIvonen, J., O. Kivekas, J. Holopainen, R. Valkonen, K. Rasilainen, and P. Vainikainen, "Mobile terminal antenna performance with the user's hand: Effect of antenna dimensioning and location," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 772-775, 2011.
6. Holopainen, J., O. Kivekas, J. IIvonen, R. Valkonen, C. Icheln, and P. Vainikainen, "Effect of the user's hands on the operation of lower UHF-band mobile terminal antennas: Focus on digital television receiver," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 53, No. 3, 831-841, Aug. 2011.
7. Anang, K. A., P. B. Rapajic, R. Wu, L. Bello, and T. I. Eneh, "Cellular system information capacity change at higher frequencies due to propagation loss and system parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44, 191-221, 2012.
8. Kusuma, A. H., A.-F. Sheta, I. M. Elshafiey, Z. Siddiqui, M. A. S. Alkanhal, S. Aldosari, S. A. Alshebeili, and S. F. Mahmoud, "A new low SAR antenna structure for wireless handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 23-40, 2011.
9. Ramli, K. N., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, C. H. See, P. S. Excell, and J. M. Noras, "Hybrid computational scheme for antenna-human body interaction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 117-136, 2013.
10. Pelosi, M., O. Franek, M. B. Knudsen, G. F. Pedersen, and J. B. Andersen, "Antenna proximity effects for talk and data modes in mobile phones," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 3, 15-26, Jun. 2010.
11. Basar, M. R., M. F. B. A. Malek, K. M. Juni, M. I. M. Saleh, M. S. Idris, L. Mohamed, N. Saudin, N. A. Mohd Affendi, and A. Ali, "The use of a human body model to determine the variation of path losses in the human body channel in wireless capsule endoscopy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 495-513, 2013.
12. , , "Test plan for the mobile station over the air performance,", CTIA, 2010.
13. Li, C.-H., E. Ofli, N. Chavannes, E. Cherubini, H. U. Gerber, and N. Kuster, "Effects of hand phantom on mobile phone antenna performance," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2763-2770, Sep. 2009.
14. Ramanchanran, P., Z. Milosavjevic, and C. Beckman, "Adaptive penta-band handset antenna with hand effect compensation," IEEE Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 79-86, Jan. 2011.
15. , , , 3GPP TS 36.101 v11.2.0 (2012.09) http://www.3gpp.org/ftp/Sp-ecs/archive/36 series/36.101/.