This paper presents a fully integrated broadband low power high isolation subharmonic mixer. The proposed mixer achieves a double-balanced architecture by adopting a single-to-differential frequency-doubling technique, and improves port-to-port isolations. The mixer fabricated by tsmc 0.18 μm Mixed Signal CMOS process achieves maximum power conversion gain of 7.1 dB, input third-order intercept point (IIP3) of -6.9 dBm, input second-order intercept point (IIP2) of 33.5 dBm, and single side-band noise figure of -19.6 dB over the 2.3-5.8 GHz fourth generation of mobile phone communications standards (4G) frequency band. The LO-RF, LO-IF and RF-IF isolations are 82.8 dB, 66.5 dB and 62.3 dB, respectively. The measured power consumption is 2.95 mW at a 1.8 V power supply.
2. Moscoso-Martir, A., I. Molina-Fernandez, and A. Ortega-Monux, "Signal constellation distortion and BER degradation due to hardware impairments in six-port receivers with analog I/Q generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 225-247, 2011.
3. Caudron, , F., A. Ouslimani, R. Vezinet, and A.-E. Kasbari, "Electromagnetic interference impact on front-end receivers outside the antenna bandwidth," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 38, 189-203, 2012.
4. Peng, H., Z. Yang, and T. Yang, "Design and implementation of a practical direction finding receiver," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 157-167, 2012.
5. Khaddaj Mallat, , N., E. Moldovan, and S. O. Tatu, "Comparative demodulation results for six-port and conventional 60 GHz direct conversion receivers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 437-449, 2008.
6. De la Morena-Alvarez-Palencia, , C. , M. Burgos-Garcia, and , "Four-octave six-port receiver and its calibration for broadband communications and software defined radios," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 1-21, 2011.
7. Chen, , W.-Y., , M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 365-381, 2012.
8. Wang, , S. , B.-Z. Huang, and , "Design of low-loss and highly-selective CMOS active bandpass filter at K-band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 331-346, 2012.
9. Kuo, J.-T. , S.-W. Lai, and , "New dual-band bandpass filter with wide upper rejection band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 371-384, 2012.
10. Ma, , D., , Z. Y. Xiao, L. Xiang, X. Wu, C. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded sir with two stubs for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 357-364, 2011.
11. Noor, , L. and A. Alagan, "Direct conversion receiver for radio communication systems," IEEE Potentials,, Vol. 24, No. 5, 32-35, 2005.
12. Svitek, , R. and S. Raman, "DC offsets in direct-conversion receivers: Characterization and implications," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 3, 76-86, 2005.
13. Koh, , K.-J., M.-Y. Park, C.-S. Kim, and H.-K. Yu, "Subharmoni-cally pumped CMOS frequency conversion (up and down) circuits for 2-GHzWCDMA direct-conversion transceiver," IEEE J. Solid- State Circuits, Vol. 39, No. 6, 871-884, 2004.
14. Sheng, , L., , J. C. Jensen, and L. E. Larson, "A wide-bandwidth Si/SiGe HBT direct conversion subharmonic mixer/downconverter," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, No. 9, 1329-1337, 2000.
15. Yamajim, T., , H. Tanimoto, and H. Kokatsu, "A I/Q active balanced harmonic mixer with IM2 cancellers and a 45 phase shifter," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 33, No. 12, 2240-2246, 1998.
16. Goldfarb, M., E. Balboni, and J. Cavey, "Even harmonic double balanced active mixer for use in direct conversion receivers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 10, 1762-1766, 2003.
17. Zhang, , Z., Z. Chen, and J. Lau, "A 900MHz CMOS balanced harmonic mixer for direct conversion receivers," Proc. IEEE Radio and Wireless Conf., 219-222, 2000.
18. Terrovitis, , M. T., R. G. Meyer, and , "Intermodulation distortion in current-commutating CMOS mixers," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1461-1473, 2000.
19. Hsu, H.-M. , T.-H. Lee, and , "A zero-if sub-harmonic mixer with high LO-RF isolation using 0.18 um CMOS technology," Proc. 1st European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conf.,, 336-339, 2006.
20. Bao, M., H. Jacobsson, L. Aspemyr, G. Carchon, and X. Sun, "A 9--31-GHz subharmonic passive mixer in 90-nm CMOS technology," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits,, Vol. 41, No. 10, 2257-2264, 2006.
21. Luo, , T.-N., , Y.-C. Chen, Y.-H. Yu, and Y.-J. E. Chen, "A 1-V 900-MHz CMOS cascaded even-harmonic mixer," Proc. Asia-Pacific Microwave Conf.,, 16-20, 2008.
22. Lin, , C.-M., H.-K. Lin, Y.-A. Lai, C.-P. Chang, and Y.-H. Wang, "A 10--40 GHz broadband subharmonic monolithic mixer in 0.18 um CMOS technology, ," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 2, 95-97, 2009.
23. Su, , J.-Y., , C.-C. Meng, and P.-Y. Wu, "Q-band pHEMT and mHEMT subharmonic Gilbert upconversion mixers," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 6, 392-394, 2009.
24. Jackson, , B. R. and C. E. Saavedra, "A CMOS Ku-band 4x subharmonic mixer," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, , Vol. 43, No. 6, 1351-1359, 2008.
25. Huang, M.-F., C.-J. Kuo, and S.-Y. Lee, "A 5.25-GHz CMOS folded-cascode even-harmonic mixer for low-voltage applications," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 2, 660-669, 2006.
26. Lai, , J.-T., Y.-S. Lin, C.-L. Lu, and H.-R. Chuang, "A 3-5-GHz low-voltage high-isolation transformer-based CMOS mixer for UWB applications," Proc. 3rd International Conf. on Innovative Computing Information and Control, 238-241, 2008.