This paper introduces a mobile switchable antenna for long term evolution (LTE) of the 4th generation (4G), applicable to all mobile service bands. The validity of this antenna is assessed by design, realization, and measurement. A new frequency-selecting method is used in the proposed antenna, based on capacitance switching among four states. Due to the limited antenna space in existing terminals, it is quite difficult to cover the entire low band with a single antenna. To overcome this difficulty, three single-pole double-throw (SPDT) switches, one 74HC04, and four capacitors are used. The resulting antenna covers the LTE (698-798 MHz) and GSM (824-960 MHz) bands in the low-band characteristic by realizing four capacitance states and at the same time covers the DCS (1710-1880 MHz)/PCS (1850-1990 MHz)/WCDMA (1920-2170 MHz) bands in the high-band characteristic. The antenna provides a gain of -1.04-6.00 dBi, a radiation efficiency of 32.73-74.99%, and omni-directional characteristics in the H-plane. Because of this outstanding performance, it is expected that the new frequency-selecting technique will be applied in 4G mobile communication terminals.
2. Sesia, S., , M. Baker, and I. Toufik, , LTE --- The UMTS Long Term Evolution: From Theory to Practice, 1-6, Wiley, 2009.
3. Thomas, , H. J., D. L. Fudge, and G. Morris, "Gunn source integrated with a micro-strip patch," Microwaves and RF, Vol. 24, No. 2, 87-89, 1985.
4. Chang, , K., K. A. Hummer, and G. Gopalakrishna, "Active radiating element using FET source integrated with micro-strip patch antenna," Electronics Letters,, Vol. 24, No. 21, 1347-1348, 1988.
5. Haskings, P. M., P. S. Hall, and J. S. Dahele, "Active patch antenna element with diode tuning," Electronics Letters, Vol. 27, No. 20, 1846-1847, 1991.
6. Liao, P. , R. A. York, and , "A varactor-tuned patch oscillator for active arrays," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 4, No. 10, 335-337, 1994.
7. Navarro, , J. A., Y. Shu, and K. Chang, "Broadband electronically tunable planar active radiating elements and spatial power combiners using notch antennas," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech.,, Vol. 40, No. 2, 323-328, 1992.
8. Yoon, , C., , W.-K. Park, S.-Y. Kang, and H.-D. Park, , "A spiral-shaped monopole antenna for quad-band operation of mobile handsets," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 11, 2860-2863, 2008.
9. Lee, W.-J., C. Yoon, S.-U. Kim, and H.-D. Park, "A study on isolation enhancement of MIMO antenna using differential ground path," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 54, No. 3, 802-805, 2012.
10. Cho, , J., C. W. Jung, and K. Kim, "Frequency-reconfigurable two port antenna for mobile phone operating over multiple service bands," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, 1009-1011, 2009..
11. Hsiao, , F. R., , H. T. Chen, G. Y. Lee, T. W. Chiou, and K. L.Wong, "A dual-band planar inverted-F patch antenna with a branch-line slit ," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 32, 310-312, 2002.
12. Rowell, , C. R. , R. D. Murch, and , "A compact PIFA suitable for dual frequency 900/1800-MHz operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 46, 596- 598, 1998.
13. Wong, K. L., W. C. Su, and F. S. Chang, "Wideband internal folded planar monopole antenna for UMTS/WiMAX folder-type mobile phone," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters,, Vol. 48, 324-327, 2006.
14. Waterhouse, R. B. and N. Y. Shuley, "Frequency agile microstrip rectangular patches using varactor diodes," URSI Radio Science Meeting and Nuclear EMP Meeting, Vol. 4, 2188-2191, 1992.
15. Fan, , L. and K. Chang, "An active inverted patch antenna with wideband varactor-tuned capability," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Sumposium Digest,, Vol. 2, 923- 926, 1996.
16. Zhang, , J., A. Mortazawi, and , "An L-band tunable microstrip antenna using multiple varactors," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 524-527, 2003.
17. Carrasquillo-Rivera, I., Z. Popovic, and R. A. R. Solis, "Tunable slot antenna using varactors and photodiodes," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 532-535, 2003.
18. Besoli, , A. G. , F. De Flaviis, and , "A multifunctional reconfigurable pixeled antenna using MEMS technology on printed circuit board," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, , Vol. 59, No. 12, 4413-4424, 2011.
19. Li, , Y., Z. Zhang, W. Chen, Z. Feng, and M. F. Iskander, "A switchable matching circuit for compact wideband antenna designs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3450-3457, 2010.
20. Lim, , J.-H., G.-T. Back, Y.-I. Ko, C.-W. Song, and T.-Y. Yun, "A reconfigurable PIFA using a switchable PIN-diode and a ¯ne-tuning varactor for USPCS/WCDMA/m-WiMAX/WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2404-2411, 2010.
21. Ban, , Y.-L., J.-H. Chen, S.-C. Sun, J. L.-W. Li, and J.-H. Guo, "Printed wideband antenna with chip-capacitor-loaded nductive strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS WWAN wireless USB dongle applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 128, 313-329, 2012.
22. Chen, , Z., Y.-L. Ban, J.-H. Chen, J. L.-W. Li, and Y.-J. Wu, "Bandwidth enhancement of LTE/WWAN printed mobile phone antenna using slotted ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 469-483, 2012..
23. Kang, , W., K. H. Ko, and K. Kim, "A compact beam reconfigurable antenna for symmetric beam switching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 1-16, 2012.