In this paper an in-depth parametric analysis of shielding effectiveness obtained when using ferromagnetic or conductive screens to mitigate the field generated by duct banks is presented. Due to the need of a case-by-case approach, all the simulations, performed by a finite element software (GetDp), are applied to a case study composed by 9 (3x3) ducts, with six of them including high voltage single-core cables and the three left empty for eventual future expansion. Two shielding geometries are tested: horizontal and U-reverse, changing in each one the main parameters: width, thickness, clearance to conductors, etc. Moreover, the conductors are grouped in two balanced in-phase three-phase circuits arranged in three configurations: vertical, horizontal and triangular. The mutual phase ordering of both circuits is the one that minimizes the field, so no further field reduction can be obtained by simple methods. The power losses and cost of different shielding solutions are also presented, including the effect of adding a third circuit if required.
2. Working Group C4.02.04, , Mitigation Techniques of Power-frequency Magnetic Fields Originated from Electric Power Systems, 373, Cigrie TB, 2009.
3. Dawoud, , M. M., , I. O. Habiballah, A. S. Farag, and A. Fironz, "Magnetic field management techniques in transmission underground cables," Electric Power Systems Research, Vol. 48, 117-192, 1999.
4. Karady, , G. G., , C. V. Nunez, and R. Raghavan, "The feasibility of magnetic ¯eld reduction by phase relationship optimization in cable systems," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 13, No. 2, 1998.
5. Del Pino, , J.-C. , P. Cruz, and , "Influence of different types of magnetic shields on the thermal behaviour and ampacity of underground power cables," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 26, No. 4, 2659-2667, 2011.
6. Boyvat, , M. and C. Hafner, "Molding the flow of magnetic ¯eld with metamaterials: Magnetic field shielding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 303-316, 2012.
7. Sergeant, , P. and S. Koroglu, "Electromagnetic losses in magnetic shields for buried high voltage cables," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 441-460, 2011.
8. Del Pino, , J. C., P. Cruz, and L. Serrano-Iribarnegaray, "Impact of electromagnetic losses in closed two-component magnetic shields on the ampacity of underground power cables," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 135, 601-625, 2013.
9. Bascom, E.-C., , W. Banker, and S. A. Boggs, "Magnetic field management considerations for underground cable duct banks," IEEE Transmission & Distribution Conference, 414-420, 2006.
10. Xu, , X.-B. and G. Liu, "A two-step numerical solution of magnetic ¯eld produced by ELF sources within a steel pipe," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 28, 17-28, 2000.
11. Gomez-Revuelto, I., , L. E. Garcia-Castillo, and M. Salazar-Palma, "Goal-oriented self-adaptive HP-strategies for finite element analysis of electromagnetic scattering and radiation problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 459-482, 2012.
12. Torkaman, , H. and E. Afjei, "Comparison of three novel types of two-phase switched reluctance motors using finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 151-164, 2012.
13. Cabanas, , M. F., , F. Pedrayes Gonzalez, M. G. Melero, C. H. Rojas Garcia, G. A. Orcajo, J. M. Cano Rodriguez, and J. G. Norniella, "Insulation fault diagnosis in high voltage power transformers by means of leakage flux analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 221-234, 2011.
14. GetDp, Version 2.2.1, P. Dular and C. Geuzaine, University of Liege, 2012.
15. Bertotti, , G., , Hysteresis in Magnetism, Academic Press, San Diego, 1998.
16. Ozturk, , N. , E. Celik, and , "Application of genetic algorithms to core loss coeffcient extraction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 19, 133-146, 2011.
17. Mahmoudi, , A., , N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
18. IEC Standard 60287, Electric Cables --- Calculation of the Current Rating --- Part 3-2: Sections on Operating Conditions --- Economic Optimization of Power Cable Size, 2nd Ed., 2006.