In this paper, a double-layer split-ring resonator structure chiral metamaterial was proposed which could exhibit pronounced circular dichroism (CD) effect and negative refractive index at microwave frequencies. Experiment and simulation calculations are in good agreement. The retrieved effective electromagnetic parameters indicate that the lower frequency CD effect is associated with the negative refractive index property of the left circularly polarized (LCP) wave, and the upper one is to the right circularly polarized (RCP) wave. The mechanism of the giant CD effect could be further illustrated by simulated surface current and power loss density distributions.
2. Pendry, , J. B., "Negative refraction makes a perfect lens," Phys. Rev. Lett. , Vol. 85, No. 18, 3966-3969, 2000.
3. Schurig, , D., , J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, No. 5801, 977-980, 2006.
4. Kasabegoudar, V. G. and K. J. Vinoy, "A broadband suspended microstrip antenna for circular polarization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 90, 353-368, 2009.
5. Shi, , Y., "A compact polarization beam splitter based on a multimode photonic crystal waveguide with an internal photonic crystal section," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 393-401, 2010.
6. Rogacheva, , A. V., , V. A. Fedotov, A. S. Schwanecke, and N. I. Zheludev, "Giant gyrotropy due to electromagnetic-field coupling in a bilayered chiral structure," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 17, 177401, 2006.
7. Dong, , J., , "Exotic characteristics of power propagation in the chiral nihility fiber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 163-178, 2009.
8. Dong, , J., , "Surface wave modes in chiral negative refraction grounded slab waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 153-166, 2009.
9. Dong, , J. F., J. Li, and F.-Q. Yang, , "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
10. Plum, , E., J. Zhou, J. Dong, V. A. Fedotov, T. Koschny, C. M. Soukoulis, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterial with negative index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 3, 035407, 2009.
11. Zhou, , J., , J. Dong, B. Wang, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Negative refractive index due to chirality," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 79, No. 12, 121104, 2009.
12. Wu, , Z., B. Q. Zhang, and S. Zhong, "A double-layer chiral metam," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 7, 983-992, 2010.
13. Li, , Z., , R. Zhao, T. Koschny, M. Kafesaki, K. B. Alici, E. Colak, H. Caglayan, E. Ozbay, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index based on four ``U" split ring resonators," Appl. Phys. Lett., Vol. 97, No. 8, 081901, 2010.
14. Decker, , M. R. Z., C. M. Soukoulis, S. Linden, and M. Wegener, "Twisted split-ring-resonator photonic metamaterial with huge optical activity," Opt. Lett., Vol. 35, No. 10, 1593-1593, 2010.
15. Li, , J., F. Q. Yang, and J. F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
16. Zarifi, D., , M. Soleimani, and V. Nayyeri, "A novel dual-band chiral metamaterial structure with giant optical activity and negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 251-263, 2012.
17. Zhao, , R., , L. Zhang, J. Zhou, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Conjugated gammadion chiral metamaterial with uniaxial optical activity and negative refractive index," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 83, No. 3, 03510, 2011.
18. Canto, , J. R., , C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Dispersion and losses in surface waveguides containing double negative or chiral metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 409-423, 2011.
19. Cheng, , Y. Z., , Y. Nie, and R. Z. Gong, , "Giant optical activity and negative refractive index using complementary U-shaped structure assembly," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 25, 239-253, 2012.
20. Li, , Z., K. B. Alici, H. Caglayan, M. Kafesaki, C. M. Soukoulis, and E. Ozbay, "Composite chiral metamaterials with negative refractive index and high values of the figure of merit," Opt. Express, Vol. 20, No. 16, 6146-6156, 2012.
21. Sabah, , C. , H. G. Roskos, and , "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012.
22. Zarifi, D., , H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012.
23. Jackson, , J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., 205-207, 1999.
24. Decker, , M., , M. W. Klein, M. Wegener, and S. Linden, "Circular dichroism of planar chiral magnetic metamaterials," Opt. Lett.,, Vol. 32, No. 7, 856-858, 2007.
25. Plum, , E., , X. X. Liu, V. A. Fedotov, Y. Chen, D. P. Tsai, and N. I. Zheludev, "Metamaterials: Optical activity without chirality," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 102, No. 11, 113902-4, 2009.
26. Yannopapas, , V., "Circular dichroism in planar nonchiral plasmonic metamaterials," Opt. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 5, 632-634, 2009.
17. Gao, , W., H. M. Leung, Y. Li, H. Chen, and W. Y. Tam, "Circular dichroism in double layer metallic crossed-gratings," J. Opt., Vol. 13, No. 11, 115101-8, 2011.
28. Feng, , C., , Z. B. Wang, S. Lee, J. Jiao, and L. Li, "Giant circular dichroism in extrinsic chiral metamaterials excited by off-normal incident laser beams," Opt. Communications,, Vol. 285, 2750-2754, 2012.
29. Cao, , T. and M. J. Cryan, "Circular dichroism in planar nonchiral metamaterial made of elliptical nanoholes array," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1275-1282, 2012.
30. Wongkasem, N., , A. Akyurtlu, J. Li, A. Tibolt, Z. Kang, and W. D. Goodhue, "Novel broadband terahertz negative refractive index metamaterials: Analysis and experiment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 64, 205-218, 2006.
31. Andres-Garcia, , B., , L. E. Garcia-Munoz, V. Gonzalez-Posadas, F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, and D. Segovia-Vargas , "Filtering lens structure based on SRRs in the low THz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 71-90, 2009.
32. Cheng, , Y. Z., , H. L. Yang, Y. Nie, R. Z. Gong and Z. Z. Cheng, "Investigation of negative index properties of planar etamaterials based on split-ring pairs," Appl. Phys., A Mater. Sci. Process. , Vol. 103, No. 4, 989-994, 2011.
33. Aznabet, , M., , M. Navarro-Cia, M. Beruete, F. J. Falcone, M. Sorolla Ayza, O. El Mrabet, and M. Essaaidi, "Transmission properties of stacked SRR metasurfaces in free space," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 20, 1-11, 2011.
34. Carbonell, , J., , E. Lheurette, and D. Lippens, "From rejection to transmission with stacked arrays of split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 215-224, 2011.
35. Nornikman, , H., B. H. Ahmad, M. Z. A. Abdul Aziz, M. F. B. A. Malek, H. Imran, and A. R. Othman, "Study and simulation of an edge couple split ring resonator (EC-SRR) on truncated pyramidal microwave absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 127, 319-334, 2012.
36. Zhang, , F., , Q. Zhao, J. Sun, J. Zhou, and D. Lippens, "Coupling e®ect of split ring resonator and its mirror image," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 233-247, 2012.
37. Rigi-Tamandani, , A., J. Ahmadi-Shokouh, and S. Tavakoli, "Wideband planar split ring resonator based metamaterials ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 28, 115-128, 2013..
38. Guo, , W., L. He, B. Li, T. Teng, and X. W. Sun, "A wideband and dual-resonant terahertz metamaterial using a modified SRR structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 134, 289-299, 2013.
39. Liu, , H., , D. A. Genov, D. M. Wu, Y. M. Liu, Z. W. Liu, C. Sun, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Magnetic plasmon hybridization and optical activity at optical frequencies in metallic nanostructures," Phys. Rev. B,, Vol. 76, 073101, 2007.
40. Cheng, Y. Z. and H. L. Yang, "Design, simulation, and measurement of metamaterial absorber," J. Appl. Phys.,, Vol. 108, No. 3, 034906, 2010.
41. Song, K., X. P. Zhao, Q. H. Fu, Y. H. Liu, and W. R. Zhu, "Wide-angle 90-polarization rotator using chiral metamaterial with negative refractive index," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14--15, 1967-1976, 2012.