In high squint spotlight mode SAR, the coupling of the range and azimuth is very serious, which brings challenges to the imaging. In this paper, an extended frequency scaling algorithm is proposed, in which the range migration correction is divided into two steps. Firstly the range walk correction is implemented in 2D time domain. In the second step, the residual range migration is corrected by the frequency scaling and bulk shift operations. Though the second range compression does not consider the range space variance, the range compression is precise. In the azimuth compression, because of the range walk correction, the azimuth modulation frequency rate becomes dependent on the azimuth position. In order to equalize the azimuth modulation frequency rate, the azimuth nonlinear chirp scaling method is involved to remove the dependence. The simulation experiments verify the validity of the proposed algorithm. The comparison of the imaging quality among traditional frequency scaling algorithm, nonlinear frequency scaling algorithm and the proposed method indicates the proposed method is more suitable for the high squint spotlight SAR.
2. Cantalloube, , H. and P. Dubois-Fernandez, "Airborne X-band SAR imaging with 10 cm resolution: Technical challenge and preliminary results," IEE Proc. Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 152, 163-176, 2006.
3. Mittermayer, J., B. Schettler, and M. Younis, "TerraSAR-X commissioning phase execution summary," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 48, 649-659, 2010.
4. Schimpf, , H., , A. Wahlen, and H. Essen, "High range resolution by means of synthetic bandwidth generated by frequency-stepped chirps," Electron. Lett., Vol. 39, No. 18, 1346-1348, 2003.
5. Xu, J., , Y. Pi, and Z. Cao, "Bayesian compressive sensing in synthetic aperture radar imaging," IET Radar Sonar Navig.,, Vol. 6, No. 1, 2-8, 2012.
6. Nie, , X., D. Zhu, X. Mao, and Z. Zhu, "The application of the principle of chirp scaling in processing stepped chirps in spotlight SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 4, 860-864, 2009.
7. Zhu, , D., S. Ye, and Z. Zhu, "Polar format algorithm using chirp scaling for spotlight sar image formation," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 44, No. 4, 1433-1448, 2008.
8. Nie, , X., , D. Zhu, X. Mao, and Z. Zhu, "The application of the principle of chirp scaling in processing stepped chirps in spotlight SAR," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 6, No. 4, 860- 864, 2009.
9. Shin, , H.-S. and J.-T. Lim, "Range migration algorithm for airborne squint mode spotlight SAR imaging," IET Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 1, No. 1, 77-82, 2007.
10. Shin, , H.-S. and J. T. Lim, "Omega-K algorithm for spaceborne spotlight SAR imaging," IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, Vol. 9, No. 3, 343-347, 2012.
11. Park, , S.-H., , J.-I. Park, and K.-T. Kim, "Motion compensation for squint mode spotlight SAR imaging using effcient 2D interpolation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 503-518, 2012.
12. Moreira, A., , J. Mittermayer, and R. Scheiber, "Extended chirp scaling SAR data processing in stripmap, scanSAR and spotlight imaging modes," EUSAR2000, 749-752, 2000.
13. Lanari, , R., , P. Franceschetti, M. Tesauro, and E. Sansosti, "Spotlight SAR image generation based on strip mode focusing techniques," Proc. IGARSS, 1761-1763, 1999.
14. Lanari, R., , M. Tesauro, E. Sansosti, and G. Fornaro, "Spotlight SAR data focusing based on a two-step processing approach," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 9, 1993-2004, 2001.
15. An, , D., X. Huang, T. Jin, and Z. Zhou, "Extended two-step focusing approach for squinted spotlight SAR imaging," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 50, No. 7, 2889-2990, 2012.
16. Mittermayer, J. and A. Moreira, "Spotlight SAR data processing using the frequency scaling algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 37, No. 5, 2198-2213, 1999.
17. Zhu, , D., , M. Shen, and Z. Zhu, "Some aspects of improving the frequency scaling algorithm for dechirped SAR data processing ," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 46, No. 6, 1579-88, 2008.
18. Jin, , L. and X. Liu, "Nonlinear frequency scaling algorithm for high squint spotlight SAR data processing," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2008, 1-8, 2008.
19. Davidson, , G. W., , I. G. Cumming, and M. R. Ito, "A chirp scaling approach for processing squint mode SAR data," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 32, 121-133, 1996.
20. Hu, , C., T. Long, and Y. Tian, "An improved nonlinear chirp scaling algorithm based on curved trajectory in geosynchronous SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research , Vol. 135, 481-513, 2013.
21. Sun, G. C., X. W. Jiang, M. D. Xing, Z. J. Qiao, Y. R. Wu, and Z. Bao, "Focus improvement of highly squinted data based on azimuth nonlinear scaling," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 49, No. 6, 2308-2322, 2011.
22. An, , D. X., Z.-M. Zhou, X.-T. Huang, and T. Jin, "A novel imaging approach for high resolution squinted spotlight SAR based on the deramping-based technique and azimuth NLCS principle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 485-508, 2012.
23. Wong, , F. H. and T. S. Yeo, "New applications of nonlinear chirp scaling in SAR data processing," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 39, No. 5, 946-953, 2001.
24. Cao, , Z. and L. Chen, "Security in application layer of radar sensor networks: Detect friends or foe," Security and Communication Networks, No. 1, 35-40, 2012.
25. Liao, , K.-F., X.-L. Zhang, and J. Shi, "Fast 3-D microwave imaging method based on subaperture approximation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 333-353, 2012.