We propose an effective way to realize the ultra-low loss in a split ring resonator (SRR) by suppressing the electric dipole moment approach. To tremendously reduce the loss, the loss mechanism of the SRR is theoretically analyzed in detail. The nonuniform current distribution on the SRR loop results in the residual electric dipole moment and thus brings the high radiation losses. Three different SRR configurations that the lumped capacitor, the distributed capacitor and the dielectric medium are incorporated into the SRR metamaterial are conceived, by which the uniform current distribution can be observed. This leads to in a finite bandwidth deviated from the resonance frequency where the SRR's loss performance dramatically improves owing to suppression of the residual electric dipole moment. The proposed the loss reduction mechanism has potential applications in negative and zero index memataterials, especially at THz frequencies and in the optical regime.
2. Schurig, D., J. J. Mock, B. J. Justice, S. A. Cummer, J. B. Pendry, A. F. Starr, and D. R. Smith, "Metamaterial electromagnetic cloak at microwave frequencies," Science, Vol. 314, 977-980, 2006.
3. Liu, S.-H. and L.-X. Guo, "Negative refraction in an anisotropic metamaterial with a rotation angle between the principal axis and the planar interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 243-257, 2011.
4. Meng, F.-Y., Y.-L. Li, K. Zhang, Q. Wu, and J. L.-W. Li, "A detached zero index metamaterial lens for antenna gain enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 463-478, 2012.
5. Burlak, G., "Spectrum of cherenkov radiation in dispersive metamaterials with negative refraction index," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 149-158, 2012.
6. Li, F.-Q. Yang, and J. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
7. Shao, J., H. Zhang, Y. Lin, and H. Xin, "Dual-frequency electromagnetic cloaks enabled by LC-based metamaterial circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 225-237, 2011.
8. He, X.-J., Y. Wang, J.-M. Wang, and T.-L. Gui, "Dual-band terahertz metamaterial absorber with polarization insensitivity and wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 381-397, 2011.
9. M. R. I., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Design analysis of new metamaterial for EM absorption reduction," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 119-135, 2012.
10. Sabah, C. and H. G. Roskos, "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012.
11. Xie, Y., J. Jiang, and S. He, "Proposal of cylindrical rolled-up metamaterial lenses for magnetic resonance imaging application and preliminary experimental demonstration," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 151-162, 2012.
12. Zarifi, D., H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012.
13. Chen, H., L. Huang, X. Cheng, and H. Wang, "Magnetic properties of metamaterial composed of closed rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 317-326, 2011.
14. Huang, L. and H. Chen, "Multi-band and polarization insensitive metamaterial absorber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 103-110, 2011.
15. Kuznetsov, S. A., A. G. Paulish, A. V. Gelfand, A. Lazorskiy, and V. N. Fedorinin, "Matrix structure of metamaterial absorbers for multispectral terahertz imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 93-103, 2012.
16. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics Uspekhi, Vol. 10, 509-514, 1968.
17. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced non-linear phenomena," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2075-2084, 1999.
18. Smith, D. R., W. J. Padilla, D. C. Vier, S. C. Nemat-Nasser, and S. Schultz, "Composite media with simultaneously negative permeability and permittivity," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 84, 4184-4187, 2000.
19. Zhou, X., Y. H. Liu, and X. Zhao, "Low losses left-handed materials with optimized electric and magnetic resonance," Applied Physics A, Vol. 98, 643-649, 2010.
20. Garcia-Meca, C., R. Ortuno, R. Salvador, A. Martinez, and J. Marti, "Low-loss single-layer metamaterial with negative index of refraction at visible wavelengths," Optics Express, Vol. 15, 9320-9325, 2007.
21. Zhou, J., Th. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "An efficient way to reduce losses of left-handed metamaterials," Optics Express, Vol. 16, 11147-11152, 2008.
22. Zhao, Y. X., F. Chen, Q. Shen, Q. W. Liu, and L. M. Zhang, "Optimizing low loss negative index metamaterial for visible spectrum using differential evolution," Optics Express, Vol. 19, 11605-11614, 2011.
23. Bossard, J. A., S. Yun, D. H. Werner, and T. S. Mayer, "Synthesizing low loss negative index metamaterial stacks for the mid-infrared using genetic algorithms," Optics Express, Vol. 17, 14771-14779, 2009.
24. Bratkovsky, A., E. Ponizovskaya, S.-Y. Wang, P. Holmstrm, L. Thylen, Y. Fu, and H. Agren, "A metal-wire/quantum-dot composite metamaterial with negative ε and compensated optical loss," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 93, 193106, 2008.
25. Fang, A., Z. X. Huang, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Overcoming the losses of a split ring resonator array with gain," Optics Express, Vol. 19, 12688-12699, 2011.
26. Shen, J.-Q., "Gain-assisted negative refractive index in a quantum coherent medium," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 37-51, 2013.
27. Tassin, L. Z., T. Koschny, E. N. Economou, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Low loss metamaterials based on classical electromagnetically induced transparency," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 102, 051901, 2009.
28. Zhu, L., F. Y. Meng, J. H. Fu, and Q. Wu, "Electromagnetically induced transparency metamaterial with polarization insensitivity based on multi-quasi-dark modes," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 45, 445105, 2012.
29. Zhu, L., F. Y. Meng, J. H. Fu, Q. Wu, and J. Hua, "An approach to configure low-loss and full transmission metamaterial based on electromagnetically induced transparency," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, 4285-4288, 2012.
30. Liu, N., L. Langguth, T. Weiss, J. Kastel, M. Fleischhauer, T. Pfau, and H. Giessen, "Plasmonic analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency at the drude damping limit," Nature Materials, Vol. 8, 758-762, 2009.
31. Zhu, L., F. Y. Meng, J. H. Fu, Q. Wu, and J. Hua, "Multi-band slow light metamaterial," Optics Express, Vol. 20, 4494-4502, 2012.
32. Zhu, L., L. Dong, F. Y. Meng, J. H. Fu, and Q. Wu, "Influence of symmetry breaking in a planar metamaterial on transparency effect and sensing application," Applied Optics, Vol. 51, 7794-7799, 2012.
33. Meng, F. Y., F. Zhang, K. Zhang, and Q. Wu, "Low-loss magnetic metamaterial based on analog of electromagnetically induced transparency," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 47, 3347-3350, 2011.
34. Li, T. Q., H. Liu, T. Li, S. M. Wang, J. X. Cao, Z. H. Zhu, Z. G. Dong, S. N. Zhu, and X. Zhang, "Suppression of radiation loss by hybridization effect in two coupled split-ring resonators," Physical Review B, Vol. 80, 115113, 2009.
35. Meng, F. Y., J. H. Fu, K. Zhang, Q. Wu, J. Y. Kim, J. J. Choi, B. Lee, and J. C. Lee, "Metamaterial analogue of electromagnetically induced transparency in two orthogonal directions," Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics, Vol. 44, 265402, 2011.
36. Papasimakis, N., V. A. Fedotov, N. I. Zheludev, and S. L. Prosvirnin, "Metamaterial analog of electromagnetically induced transparency," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 101, 253903, 2008.
37. Tsakmakidis, K. L., M. S. Wartak, J. J. H. Cook, J. M. Hamm, and O. Hess, "Negative-permeability electromagnetically induced transparent and magnetically active metamaterials," Physical Review B, Vol. 81, 195128, 2010.
38. Szabo, Z., G.-H. Park, R. Hedge, and E. Li, "A unique extraction of metamaterial parameters based on Kramers-Kronig relationship," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 58, 2646-2653, 2010.
39. Erentok, A., et al., "Low frequency lumped element-based negative index metamaterial," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 91, 184104, 2007.
40. Ban, Y.-L., J.-H. Chen, S.-C. Sun, J. L.-W. Li, and J.-H. Guo, "Printed wideband antenna with chip-capacitor-loaded inductive strip for LTE/GSM/UMTS WWAN wireless USB dongle applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 313-329, 2012.
41. Lai, A., T. Itoh, and C. Caloz, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, 3450, 2004.
42. Gil, M., J. Bonache, J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Martel, and F. Martin, "Composite right/left-handed metamaterial transmission lines based on complementary split-rings resonators and their applications to very wideband and compact filter design," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, 1296-1304, 2007.
43. Alley, G. D., "Interdigital capacitors and their application to lumped element microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, 1028-1033, 1970.