A three-dimensional (3-D) source localization algorithm of joint elevation, azimuth angles and range estimation for the mixed near-field (NF) and far-field (FF) sources is presented in this paper. We first estimate the elevation angles of all mixed sources by using the generalized ESPRIT method. With the elevation angle estimates, the range parameters of all mixed sources are obtained, and then both the NF and FF sources are distinguished. Finally, with the elevation angle and range estimates, the azimuth angles of all mixed sources are acquired based on the conventional high-resolution MUSIC method. The proposed algorithm avoids parameter match operation, and requires neither a multidimensional search nor high-order statistics (HOS). Simulation and experiment results show the performance of the proposed algorithm in this paper.
2. Schmidt, R. O., "Multiple emitter location and signal parameters estimation," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 3, 267-280, Mar. 1986.
3. Roy, R. and T. Kailath, "ESPRIT --- Estimation of signal parameters via rotational invariance technique," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Processing, Vol. 37, No. 7, 984-995, Jul. 1989.
4. Gao, F. F. and A. B. Gershman, "A generalized ESPRIT approach to direction-of-arrival estimation," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 12, No. 3, Mar. 2005.
5. Lizzi, L., F. Viani, M. Benedetti, P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "The M-DSO-ESPRIT method for maximum likelihood DOA estimation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 80, 477-497, 2008.
6. Changuel, H., F. Harabi, and A. Gharsallah, "2-L-shape two-dimensional arrival angle estimation with a classical subspace algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 66, 301-315, 2006.
7. Yang, P., F. Yang, and Z.-P. Nie, "DOA estimation with sub-array divided technique and interporlated ESPRIT algorithm on a cylindrical conformal array antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 201-216, 2010.
8. Harabi, F., H. Changuel, and A. Gharsallah, "Direction of arrival estimation method using a 2-L shape arrays antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 145-160, 2007.
9. Swindlehurst, A. L. and T. Kailath, "Passive direction of arrival and range estimation for near-field sources," IEEE Spec. Est. and Mod. Workshop, Vol. 123, No. 128, 1988.
10. Huang, Y.-D. and M. Barkat, "Near-field multiple source localization by passive sensor array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 7, 968-975, 1991.
11. Grosicki, E. and K. Abed-Meraim, "A weighted linear prediction method for near-field source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, No. 10, 3651-3660, Oct. 2005.
12. Liang, J. L. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of near-field sources using cumulant," IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 9, No. 8, 953-960, 2009.
13. Starer, D. and A. Nehorai, "Passive localization of near-field sources by path following," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 42, No. 3, 677-680, 1994.
14. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "Passive near-field localization of multiple non-Gaussian sources in 3-D using cumulants," Signal Process., Vol. 65, 39-53, 1998.
15. Dehghanian, V., M. Okhovvat, and M. Hakkak, "A new interpolation technique for the reconstruction of uniformly spaced samples from non-uniformly spaced ones in plane-rectangular near-field antenna measurements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 47-59, 2007.
16. Challa, R. N. and S. Shamsunder, "3-D spherical localization of multiple non-Gaussian sources using cumulants," 8th Sag. Proc. Workshop on SSAP, 101-104, Corfu, Greece, 1996.
17. Abed-Meraim, K. and Y. Hua, 3-D near field source localization using second order statistics, Conference Record of the Thirty-First Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems & Amp; Computers, Vol. 2, 1307-1311, 1997.
18. Lee, C. M., K. S. Yoon, J. H. Lee, and K. K. Lee, "Efficient algorithm for localizing 3-D narrowband multiple sources," IEE Proc., Radar Sonar Navig., Vol. 148, No. 1, 23-26, 2001.
19. Yan, W., J.-D. Xu, G. Wei, L. Fu, and H.-B. He, "A fast 3D imaging technique for near-field circular SAR processing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 271-285, 2012.
20. Lee, J. H., D. H. Park, G. T. Park, and K. K. Lee, "Algebraic path-following algorithm for localising 3-D near-field sources in uniform circular array," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 7, 1283-1285, 2003.
21. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Passive localization of mixed near-field and far-field sources using two-stage music algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 1, 108-120, Jan. 2010.
22. He, J., M. N. S. Swamy, and M. O. Ahmad, "Efficient application of MUSIC algorithm under the coexistence of far-field and near-field sources," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 60, No. 4, 2066-2070, 2012.
23. Wang, B., J. J. Liu, and X. Y. Sun, "Mixed sources localization based on sparse signal reconstruction," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 19, No. 8, Aug. 2012.
24. Johnson, R. C., Antenna Engineering Handbook, 3rd Ed., 9-12, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1993.
25. Wax, M. and T. Kailath, "Detection of signals by information theoretic criteria," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 33, 387-392, Apr. 1985.
26. Barabell, A. J., "Improving the resolution performance of eigenstructure-based direction-finding algorithms," IEEE International Conference on ICASSP'83 Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 336-339, Boston, MA, May 1983.
27. Rao, B. D. and K. V. S. Hari, "Performance analysis of root-music," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 12, 1939-1949, Dec. 1989.
28. Cheng, S.-C. and K.-C. Lee, "Reducing the array size for DOA estimation by an antenna mode switch technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 117-134, 2012.
29. Lie, J. P., B. P. Ng, and C. M. S. See, "Multiple UWB emitters DOA estimation employing time hopping spread spectrum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 83-101, 2008.
30. Liang, J. and D. Liu, "Two L-shaped array-based 2-D DOAs estimation in the presence of mutual coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 273-298, 2011.
31. Li, Y. and H. Ling, "Improved current decomposition in helical antennas using the ESPRIT algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 279-293, 2010.
32. El Korso, M. N., B. Royer, A. Renaux, and S. Marcos, "Conditional and unconditional Cramér-Rao bounds for near-field source localization," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 5, May 2010.
33. Stoica, P. and A. Nehorai, "MUSIC,maximum likelihood and Cramér-Rao bound," IEEE Trans. on Acoust., Speech, Signal Process., Vol. 37, No. 5, 720-741, May 1989.
34. Liang, J. L., X. J. Zeng, B. J. Ji, J. Y. Zhang, and F. Zhao, "A computationally efficient algorithm for joint range-DOA-frequency estimation of near-field sources," Digital Signal Processing, Vol. 19, No. 4, 596-611, Jul. 2009.