A novel slotted helix slow-wave structure (SWS) is proposed to develop high power, wide-bandwidth, high reliability millimeter-wave traveling-wave tube (TWT). This structure, which can improve the heat dissipation capability of the helix SWS, evolves from conventional helix SWS with three parallel rows of rectangular slots made in the outside of the helix. In this paper, thermal stress analysis, the electromagnetic characteristics and the beam-wave interaction of this structure are investigated. The conclusions of this paper will be a great help for the design of millimeter-wave traveling-wave tube.
2. Qiu, , J. X., , B. Levush, J. Pasour, A. Katz, C. M. Armstrong, D. R. Whaley, J. Tucek, K. Kreischer, and D. Gallagher, "Vacuum tube amplifiers," IEEE Microw. Mag., Vol. 10, No. 7, 38-51, 2009.
3. Komm, , D. S., R. T. Benton, H. C. Limburg, W. L. Menninger, and X. L. Zhai, "Advances in space TWT e±ciencies," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 48, No. 1, 174-176, 2001.
4. Kesari, V. , J. P. Keshari, and , "Analysis of a circular waveguide loaded with dielectric and metal discs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 253-269, 2011.
5. Li, , Z., J. H. Wang, F. Li, Z. Zhang, and M. E. Chen, , "A new insight into the radiation mechanism of fast and slow traveling waves," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1874-1885, , 2011.
6. Liu, Y., J. Xu, Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, M. Huang, T. Tang, W. Wang, Y. Gong, and J. Feng, "Design of a V-band high-power sheet-beam coupled-cavity traveling-wave tube," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 31-45, 2012.
7. Shen, , F., , Y.-Y. Wei, X. Xu, Y. Liu, H.-R. Yin, Y.-B. Gong, and W.-X. Wang, "140-GHz V-shaped microstrip meander-line traveling-wave tube," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, , No. 1, 89-98, 2012.
8. Hou, , Y., , J. Xu, H.-R. Yin, Y.-Y. Wei, L.-N. Yue, G.-Q. Zhao, and Y.-B. Gong, "Equivalent circuit analysis of ridge-loaded folded-waveguide slow-wave structures for millimeter-wave traveling-wave tubes, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 215-229, 2012.
9. Han, , Y., , Y. W. Liu, Y. G. Ding, and P. K. Liu, \Study on the, " Study on the thermal interface resistance of the helix slow-wave structure," Acta Physica Sinica, Vol. 58, No. 3, 1806-1811, 2009.
10. Fleury, , G., C. Deville, and J. C. Kuntzmann, "Average power limits of brazed-helix TWT's," 1980 International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, Vol. 26, 806-809, 1980..
11. Yao, L. M., , Z. H. Yang, Z. S. Huo, X. F. Zhu, and B. Lin, "Simulation of thermal characteristics for helical slow-wave circuit of TWT," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter , 1-3, 2007..
12. Yan, S. M., , L. M. Yao, and Z. H. Yang, "Effect of thermal strain in helical slow-wave circuit on TWT cold-test characteristics," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2278-2281 , 2008.
13. Xie, K. J., , "CAD Diamond rod and its application in the high power TWT," The 25th Infrared and Millimeter Wave Conference,, 343-344, 2000.
14. Dayton, , J. A., G. T. Mearini, H. Chen, and C. L. Kory, "Diamonded-studded helical traveling wave tube," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 695 -701, 2005..
15. Fleury, , G., , J. C. Kuntzmann, and P. Lafuma, "High-power brazed-helix telecommunications TWT's," International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, Vol. 23, 116-119, 1977.
16. Henry, , D., , N. Sntonja, and S. Wartski, "Brazed-helix technology for 30 GHz power TWTs," International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest,, 505-507, 1986.
17. Wartski, S., , D. Henry, and N. Santonjia, , "\Development of a brazed-helix TWT for future Ka-band earth stations delivering 200W in the band 27.5--30 GHz," 1988 International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, 366-369, 1988.
18. Gong, , Y., , Y. Wei, W. Wang, and Z. Duan, "Analysis of a novel brazed helix tape slow wave structure with high power capability," 30th IEEE International Conference on Plasma Science,, 177, 2003.
19. Lee, J. S. and C. Everleigh, "High power CW BeO block brazed copper helix TWT," Proc. IEEE International Vacuum Electronics Conference, 185-186, 2006..
20. Toups, , C. E., D. K. Yamadam, and , "Thermal/structural analysis of diamond supported helices," AIAA 11th Communication Satellite Systems Conference, 605-608, 1986.
21. Han, , Y., Y. W. Liu, Y. G. Ding, and P. K. Liu, , "\Improvement of heat dissipation capability of slow-wave structure using two assembling methods," IEEE Electron Devices Letters, Vol. 29, No. 8, 955-956, , 2008.
22. TaKahashi, , M., , T. Yamaguchi, H. Hashimoto, T. Konishi, and H. Sato, "Non-brazed helix TWT attained 3kW output at C-band and 600Wat Ku-band," 1986 International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, 167-170, 1986.
23. Wei, , Y. Y., , L. W. Liu, Y. B. Gong, X. Xu, H. R. Yin, L. N. Yue, Y. Liu, J. Xu, and W. X. Wang, "Helical slow-wave structure," USA Patent Application, No. 13/345, 121, , 2012..
24. Liu, , L., Y. Wei, X. Xu, F. Shen, G. Zhao, M. Huang, T. Tang, W. X. Wang, and Y. Gong, "A novel helical slow-wave structure for millimeter wave traveling wave tube," 5th Global Symposium on Millimeter Waves Conference, 312-315, 2012.
25. ANSYS, Inc., "Analysis guide," Release 14.0, 2012..
26. Ansoft Corp., "Ansoft HFSS user's reference,".
27. CST Corp., , "CST PS tutorials," http://www.cst-china.cn/.
28. Lucken, J. A., "Some aspects of circuits power dissipation in high power CW helix traveling-wave tubes, Part I: General theory," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 16, No. 9, 813-820, 1969.
29. Crivello, , R. , R. W. Grow, and , "Thermal analysis of PPM-focused rod-supported TWT helix structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 35, No. 10, 1701-1720, , 1988..
30. Sauseng, , O., A. E. Mauoly, and A. Hall, "Thermal properties and power capability of helix structures for millimeter waves," International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest,, Vol. 124, 534-537, 1978.
31. Han, Y., , Y. Liu, Y. Ding, and P. Liu, "An evaluation of heat dissipation capability of slow-wave structures," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1562-1565, 2007.
32. Han, Y., , Y. Liu, Y. Ding, P. Liu, and C. Lu, "Thermal analysis of a helix TWT slow-wave structure," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 55, No. 5, 1269-1272, , 2008..
33. Bartos, , K. F., , E. B. Fite, K. A. Shalkhauser, and G. R. Sharp, "A three-dimensional finite-element thermal/mechanical analytical technique for high-performance traveling wave tubes," NASA Technical Paper 3081, 1-14, 1991.
34. Rocci, , P. J., , "Thermal-structural reliability assessment of helix TWT interaction circuit using finite element analysis," Proc. Aerosp. Electron. Conf., 731-737, , 1993.
35. Zhao, , X. Q., G. X. Zhang, and X. H. Sun, , "The analysis and ANSYS simulation for the thermal condition of pulse helix TWT," Acta Electronica Sinica, Vol. 32, No. 6, 1029-1032, 2004.
36. Han, Y., Y. Liu, Y. Ding, and P. Liu, , "\Reliability analysis of thermal conduction of slow-wave structures assembled with different methods," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 9, No. 2, 265-268, 2009..
37. Harper, , R., M. P. Puri, and , "Heat transfer and power capabilities of EFH helix TWT's," International Electron Devices Meeting Technical Digest, 498-500, 1986 .
38. Chong, , C. K., J. A. Davis, R. H. Le Borgne, M. L. Ramay, R. J. Stolz, R. N. Tamashiro, J. P. Vaszari, and X. Zhai, "Development of high-power Ka-band and Q-band helix-TWTs," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, , No. 5, 653-659, 2005.
39. Booske, , J. H., M. C. Converse, C. L. Kory, C. T. Chevalier, D. A. Gallagher, K. E. Kreischer, V. O. Heinen, and S. Bhattacharjee, "Accurate parametric modeling of folded waveguide circuits for millimeter wave traveling wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 52, No. 5, 685-694, 2005.
40. Antonsen, Jr., T. M., P. Safier, D. P. Chernin, and B. Levush, "Stability of traveling-wave ampli¯ers with re°ections," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 30, No. 3, 1089-1107, 2002..
41. Chernin, D., D., T. M. Antonsen, Jr., and B. Levush, "Power holes' and nonlinear forward and backward wave gain competition in helix traveling-wave tubes," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. 50, No. 12, 2540-2547, 2003..