The electromagnetic characterization of piezoelectric micro-needle antenna sensors for fully non-invasive detection of cancer-related anomalies of the skin is presented. To this end, a full-wave finite-difference time-domain procedure is adopted to analyze the performance of the considered class of devices in terms of circuital characteristics and near-field radiation properties as a function of the curvature radius of the relevant sensing probe. This analysis is, in turn, useful to gain a physical insight into the processes which affect the behavior of the structure and, hence, the accuracy in the detection of possible malignant lesions of the skin. In particular, by using the mentioned modeling approach, an extensive parametric study is carried out to analyze the effect produced on the sensor response by variations of the complex permittivity of the skin due to the presence of anomalous cells and, in this way, obtain useful discrimination diagrams for the heuristic evaluation of the exposure level to the cancer risk.
2. Beetner, , D. G., , S. Kapoor, S. Manjunath, X. Zhou, and W. V. Stoecker, "Differentiation among basal cell carcinoma, benign lesions, and normal skin using electric impedance," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 50, No. 8, 1020-1025, 2003.
3. Iero, , T. Isernia, A. F. Morabito, I. Catapano, and L. Crocco, T. Isernia, A. F. Morabito, I. Catapano, and L. Crocco, "Optimal constrained field focusing for hyperthermia cancer therapy: A feasibility assessment on realistic phantoms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 125-141, 2010.
4. Taflove, , A. , S. C. Hagness, and , Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite Difference Time Domain Method, 3rd Ed., Artech House, , Norwood, MA, , House, N.
5. Caratelli, , D. , R. Cicchetti, and , "A full-wave analysis of interdigital capacitors for planar integrated circuits," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, , Vol. 39, No. 3, 1598-1601, 2003.
6. Caratelli, , D., , A. Massaro, R. Cingolani, and A. Yarovoy, "Accurate time-domain modeling of reconfigurable antenna sensors for non-invasive melanoma skin cancer detection," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 12, No. 3, 635-643, 2012.
7. Chahat, , N., , M. Zhadobov, R. Augustine, and R. Sauleau, , "Human skin permittivity models for millimetre-wave range," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 7, 427-428, 2011.
8. Caratelli, , D., A. Yarovoy, and , "Design and full-wave analysis of cavity-backed resistively loaded circular-end bow-tie antennas for GPR applications --- Part I," Appl. Comput. Electrom., Vol. 25, No. 10, 809-817, 2010..
9. Caratelli, , D. and A. Yarovoy, "Design and full-wave analysis of cavity-backed resistively loaded circular-end bow-tie antennas for GPR applications | Part II," Appl. Comput. Electrom.,, Vol. 25, No. 10, 818-829, 2010.
10. Caratelli, , D., A. Yarovoy, and , "Unified time- and frequency-domain approach for accurate modeling of electromagnetic radiation processes in ultra-wideband antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat. , Vol. 58, No. 10, 3239-3255, 2010.
11. Caratelli, , D., , A. Yarovoy, A. Massaro, and A. Lay-Ekuakille, "Design and full-wave analysis of piezoelectric micro-needle antenna sensors for enhanced near-field detection of skin cancer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 125, 391-413, 2012.