The system which enhances wireless power transmission efficiency for bio-medical applications has been proposed in this report. The system that operates at giga-hertz ranges is based on an inductive coupling between a transmitter coil and a receiver coil. A magnetic current source was modeled to a magnetic dipole with magnetic dipole moment m. To increase wireless power transmission efficiency, a high surface impedance ground plane was used and reflection from the ground plane is responsible for constructive interference. For this system, a theoretical study has been performed in this report by solving Sommerfeld integrals. Compared with the result of a system without a ground plane, the system with a high surface impedance ground plane showed enhancement of received power at a given transmitted power.
2. Liu, , W., , K. Vichienchom, M. Clements, S. C. DeMarco, C. Hughes, E. McGucken, M. S. Humayun, E. DeJuan, J. D. Weiland, and R. Greenberf, "A neuro-stimulus chip with telemetry unit for retinal prosthetic device," IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 35, 1487-1497, 2000..
3. Sauer, , C., , M. Stanacevic, G. Cauwenberghs, and J. N. Thakor, "Power harvesting and telemetry in CMOS for implanted devices ," IEEE Trans. Circuit Syst. I, Vol. 52, 2605-2613, 2005.
4. Baker, , M. W. , R. Sarpeshkar, and , "Feedback analysis and design of RF power links for low-power bionic systems," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 1, 28-38, 2007.
5. Harrison, R., "Designing e±cient inductive power links for implantable devices," Proc. IEEE Intl. Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2080-2083, 2007.
6. Neihart, , N. M. , R. Harrison, and , "Micropower circuits for bidirectional wireless telemetry in neural recording applications," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 52, 1950-1959, 2005.
7. Smith, , S., , T. Tang, J. Terry, J. T. M. Stevenson, B. W. Flynn, H. M. Reekie, A. F. Murray, A. M. Gundlach, D. Renshaw, B. Dhillon, and , "Development of a miniaturised drug delivery system with wireless power transfer and communication," IET Nanobiotechnology, Vol. 1, 80-86, 2007.
8. Kurs, A., , A. Karalis, R. Moffatt, J. D. Joannopoulos, P. Fisher, and M. Soljacic, "Wireless power transfer via strongly coupled magnetic resonances," Science, Vol. 317, 83-86, 2007.
9. Ramrakhyani, , A. K., , S. Mirabbasi, and M. Chiao, "Design and optimization of resonance-based e±cient wireless power delivery systems for biomedical implants," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 5, 48-63, 2011.
10. Poon, A. S. Y., , S. O'Driscoll, and T. H. Meng, "Optimal frequency for wireless power transmission into dispersive tissue," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, 739-1749, 2010.
11. Kim, , S. , A. S. Y. Poon, and , "Wireless power transfer into miniature implants: Transmitter optimization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat.,, Vol. 60, 4838-4845, 2012..
12. Jackson, , J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, , John Wiley & Sons, 1999.
13. Cutler, , C. C., , "Genesis of the corrugated electromagnetic surface," IEEE Int. Antennas Propagat. Symp. Dig., Vol. 32, 1456-1459, 1944.
14. Sievenpiper, , D. F., , "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces," Ph.D. Dissertation,, 1999.
15. Gabriel, , S., , R. W. Lau, and C. Gabriel, "The dielectric properties of biological tissues: III. Parametric models for the dielectric spectrum of tissues," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 41, 2271-2293, 1996.
16. Vorst, A. V., , RF/Microwave Interaction with Biological Tissues,, Wiley-IEEE Press, 2006.
17. Chew, , W. C., , Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Wiley-IEEE Press, 1995.
18. Andersen, J. B., "Theoretical limitations on radiation into muscle tissue," Int. J. Hyperthermia,, Vol. 1, 45-55, 1985..
19. Lowery, , M. M., N. S. Stoykov, A. Taflove, and T. A. Kuiken, "A multiple-layer ¯finite-element model of the surface EMG signal," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 49, 446-454, , 2002.
20. Sommerfeld, , A., "Partial Differential Equations in Physics," Academic Press, 1949.
21., "IEEE standard for safety levels with respect to human exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields, 3 kHz to 300 GHz," IEEE Standard C95.1-2005, 2006.
22. Wise, , K. D., , A. M. Sodagar, Y. Yao, M. N. Gulari, G. E. Perlin, and K. Najafi, "Microelectrodes, microelectronics, and implantable neural microsystems," Proc. IEEE,, Vol. 96, 1184-1202, 2008.