his paper presented a novel unconditional stable FDTD (US-FDTD) algorithm for solving the transient response of uniform or nonuniform multiconductor transmission line with arbitrary coupling status. Analytical proof of unconditional stability and detailed analysis of numerical dispersion are presented. The precise split-time-step scheme has been introduced to eliminate the restriction of the Courant-Friedrich-Levy (CFL) condition. Compared to the conventional USFDTD methods, the proposed approach generally achieves lower phase velocity error for coarse temporal resolution. So larger time scales can be chosen for the transient simulation to achieve accurate results efficiently. Several examples of coupled uniform and nonuniform lines are presented to demonstrate the accuracy, stability, and efficiency of the proposed model.
2. Carlsson, , J., , "A FDTD program for computing responses on branched multi-conductor transmission lines," SP Swedish National Testing and Research Insitute, SP Report, 1998.
3. Yilmaz, , A. E., J. M. Jin, and E. Michielssen, "A TDIE-based asynchronous electromagnetic-circuit simulator," IEEE Micro. Wireless Compo. Lett., Vol. 16, No. 3, 122-124, 2006..
4. Yang, , C. Y. and V. Jandhyala, "A time-domain surface integral technique for mixed electromagnetic and circuit simulation," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 28, No. 4, 745-753, 2005.
5. Xu, , K., , Z. H. Fan, D. Z. Ding, and R. S. Chen, "GPU accelerated unconditional stable Crank-Nicolson FDTD method for the analysis of three-dimensional microwave circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 381-395, 2010.
6. Wang, R., J. M. Jin, and , "A flexible time-stepping scheme for hybrid ¯eld-circuit simulation based on the extended time-domain FEM ," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 769-776, 2010.
7. Djordjeric, , A. R. , T. K. Sarkar, and , "Analysis of time response of lossy multiconductor transmission line networks," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 35, No. 10, 898-908, 1987.
8. Griffith, , J. R., M. S. Nakhla, and , "Time-domain analysis of lossy coupled transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech. , Vol. 38, No. 10, 1480-1486, 1990.
9. Xu, , Q. W. , P. Mazumder, and , "Accurate modeling of lossy nonuniform transmission lines by using differential quadrature methods," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech.,, Vol. 50, 2233-2246, 2002.
10. Tang, , M. , J. F. Mao, and , "Transient analysis of lossy nonuniform transmission lines using a time-step integration method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 257-266, 2007..
11. Jaehoon, , J., H. Ic-Pyo, and N. Robert, "The time domain propagator method for lossless multiconductor quasi-TEM lines," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 32, No. 3, 619-626, 2009.
12. Bagci, , H., A. E. Yilmaz, and E. Michielssen, , "An FFT-accelerated time-domain multiconductor transmission line simulator," IEEE Trans. Electrom. Compat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 199-214, 2010.
13. Tang, M. , J. F. Mao, and , "Finite-difference analysis of interconnects with frequency-dependent parameters based on equivalent circuit models ," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 2, 457-467, 2010.
14. Trakadas, , P. T. , C. N. Capsalis, and , "Validation of a modified FDTD method on non-uniform transmission lines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 31, 311-329, 2001.
15. Chiu, C.-N., I.-T. Chiang, and , "A fast approach for simulation long-time response of high-speed dispersive and lossy interconnects terminated with nonlinear loads," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 153-171, 2009.
16. Afrooz, , K. , A. Abdipour, and , "Effcient method for time-domain analysis of lossy nonuniform multiconductor transmission line driven by a modulated signal using FDTD technique," IEEE Trans. Electrom. Compat., Vol. 54, No. 2, 482-494, 2012.
17. Tang, , M. , J. F. Mao, and , "A precise time-step integration method for transient analysis of lossy nonuniform transmission lines," IEEE Trans. Electrom. Compat., Vol. 50, No. 1, 166-174, 2008.
18. Jia, L., , W. Shi, and J. Guo, "Arbitrary-difference precise-integration method for the computation of electromagnetic transients in single-phase nonuniform transmission line," IEEE Trans. Power Deliv., Vol. 23, No. 3, 1488-1494, 2008.
19. Bai, Z. M., X. K. Ma, and G. Sun, , "A low-dispersion realization of precise integration time-domain method using a fourth-order accurate finite difference scheme," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Propag.,, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1311-1320, 2011.
20. Higham, , N. J., , "The scaling and squaring method for the matrix exponential revisited," SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl., Vol. 26, 1179-1193, 2005.
21. Kong, , Y. D. , Q. X. Chu, and , "High-order split-step unconditionally-stable FDTD methods and numerical analysis," IEEE Trans. Antenn. Propag., Vol. 59, No. 9, 3280-3289, 2011.
22. Pereda, , J. A., , et al., "Analyzing the stability of the FDTD technique by combining the von Neumann method with the Routh-Hurnitz criterion," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 377-381, 2001.
23. Wang, J., , B. Zhou, L. Shi, C. Gao, and B. Chen, "A novel 3-D weakly conditionally stable FDTD algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 525-540, 2012..
24. Kong, Y. D. , Q. X. Chu, and , "Reduction of numerical dispersion of the six-stages split-step unconditionally-stable FDTD method with controlling parameters," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 175-196, 2012.
25. Dou, , L., J. Dou, and , "Sensitivity analysis of lossy nonuniform multiconductor transmission lines with nonlinear terminations," IEEE Trans. Adv. Packag., Vol. 33, No. 2, 492-497, 2010..
26. Boulejfen, , N., , A. B. Kouki, and F. M. Ghannouchi, "Frequency-and time-domain analysis of nonuniform lossy coupled transmission lines with linear and nonlinear terminations," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 48, No. 3, 367-379, 2000..
27. Afrooz, K., , A. Abdipour, A. Tavakoli, and M. Movahhedi, "Time domain analysis of active transmission line using FDTD technique (application to microwave/mm-wave transistors)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 309-328, 2007.