The iterative Fourier technique (IFT) is a high efficiency method that was proposed in recent past for the synthesis of large planar thinned arrays with isotropic radiating elements. However, the selection mechanism of IFT cannot always include the most useful elements in the "turned ON" families, which make the method trap in some local minima. Therefore, in this paper, inspired by invasive weed optimization (IWO) algorithm, a developed version of the iterative Fourier technique (IFT), IWO-IFT, is proposed for thinning large planar arrays. In this new method, the initial weeds are produced by IFT, and are further perturbed by IWO through repeatedly reproduction, dispersion, and exclusion over search space to find better weeds. Numerical results for synthesizing different circular thinned arrays demonstrated the superiority of IWO-IFT over the IFT method.
2. Bucci, O. M., T. Isernia, and A. F. Morabito, "A deterministic approach to the synthesis of pencil beams through planar thinned arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 217-230, 2010.
3. Fernández-Delgado, M., J. A. Rodríguez-Gonz'alez, R. Iglesias, S. Barro, and F. J. Ares-Pena, "Fast array thinning using global optimization methods," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 6, 2259-2271, 2010.
4. Mahanti, G. K., N. N. Pathak, and P. K. Mahanti, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays with fixed sidelobe level using real-coded genetic algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 319-328, 2007.
5. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Synthesis of thinned linear and planar antenna arrays using binary PSO algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 371-387, 2012.
6. Quevedo-Teruel, Ó and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, 349-352, 2006.
7. Zhang, L., Y.-C. Jiao, B. Chen, and F.-S. Zhang, "Synthesis of linear aperiodic arrays using a self-adaptive hybrid differential evolution algorithm," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, 1524-1528, 2011.
8. Ghosh, P. and S. Das, "Synthesis of thinned planar concentric circular antenna arrays --- A differential evolutionary approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 63-82, 2011.
9. Mandal, A., H. Zafar, S. Das, and A. V. Vasilakos, "Efficient circular array synthesis with a memetic differential evolution algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 38, 367-385, 2012.
10. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Linear array thinning using iterative FFT techniques," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, 2757-2760, 2008.
11. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Large planar array thinning using iterative FFT techniques," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, 3359-3362, 2009.
12. Mehrabian, A. R. and C. Lucas, "A novel numerical optimization algorithm inspired from weed colonization," Ecological Informatics, Vol. 1, 355-366, 2006.
13. Dadalipour, B., A. R. Mallahzadeh, and Z. Davoodi-Rad, Application of the invasive weed optimization technique for antenna configurations, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Conference, 425-428, Loughborough, March 2008.
14. Mallahzadeh, A. R., S. Es'haghi, and H. R. Hassani, "Compact U-array MIMO antenna designs using IWO algorithm," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-aided Engineering, 568-576, 2009.
15. Sedighy, S. H., A. R. Mallahzadeh, M. Soleimani, and J. Rashed-Mohassel, "Optimization of printed Yagi antenna using invasive weed optimization (IWO)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1275-12758, 2010.
16. Monavar, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using Jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
17. Monavar, F. M., N. Komjani, and P. Mousavi, "Application of invasive weed optimization to design a broadband patch antenna with symmetric radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1369-1372, 2011.
18. Roshanaei, M., C. Lucas, and A. R. Mehrabian, "Adaptive beamforming using a novel numerical optimization algorithm," IET Microw. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 3, 765-773, 2009.
19. Pal, S., A. Basak, S. Das, and A. Abraham, "Linear antenna array synthesis with invasive weed optimization algorithm," IEEE International Conference of Soft Computing and Pattern Recognition, 161-166, 2009.
20. Karimkashi, S. and A. A. Kishk, "Invasive weed optimization and its features in electromagnetics," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, 1269-1278, 2010.
21. Basak, A., S. Pal, S. Das, A. Abraham, and V. Snasel, "A modified invasive weed optimization algorithm for time-modulated linear antenna array synthesis," IEEE Congress on Evolutionary Computation, 1-8, 2010.
22. Roy, G. G., S. Das, P. Chakraborty, and P. N. Suganthan, "Design of non-uniform circular antenna arrays using a modified invasive weed optimization algorithm," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 110-118, 2011.
23. Zaharis, Z. D., C. Skeberis, and T. D. Xenos, "Improved antenna array adaptive beam-forming with low side lobe level using a novel adaptive invasive weed optimization method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 137-150, 2012.
24. Keizer, W. P. M. N., "Amplitude-only low sidelobe synthesis for large thinned circular array antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, 1157-1161, 2012.