Within the generalized Lorenz-Mie theory framework, an analytic solution to the scattering by a conducting spheroid with non-confocal chiral coating, for incidence of an axial Gaussian beam, is presented. To overcome the difficulty of non-confocal boundary conditions, a theoretical procedure is developed by virtue of a transformation between the spherical and spheroidal vector wave functions. Numerical results of the normalized differential scattering cross section are shown for chiral-coated conducting spheroids.
2. Asano, , S., "light scattering properties of spheroidal particles," Appl. Opt.,, Vol. 18, 712-723, 1979.
3. Sebak, , A. R. , B. P. Sinha, and , "Scattering by a conducting spheroidal object with dielectric coating at axial incidence," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 40, 268-273, 1992.
4. Wang, , D. S., P. W. Barber, and , "Scattering by inhomogeneous nonspherical objects," Appl. Opt., Vol. 14, 29-49, , 1975.
5. Li, , L.-W., M.-S. Leong, T.-S. Yeo, and Y.-B. Gan, "Electro-magnetic radiation from a prolate spheroidal antenna enclosed in a confocal spheroidal radome," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 50, 1525-1533, 2002.
6. Barton, , J. P., "Internal, near-surface, and scattered electromagnetic ¯elds for a layered spheroid with arbitrary illumination," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 3596-3607, 2001.
7. Han, , Y. P., Z. S. Wu, and , "Scattering of a spheroidal particle illuminated by a Gaussian beam," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 2501-2509, 2001.
8. Zhang, , H. Y., Y. P. Han, and , "Scattering by a confocal multilayered spheroidal particle illuminated by an axial Gaussian beam," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 53, 1514-1518, 2005.
9. Xu, , F., K. F. Ren, and X. Cai, "Expansion of an arbitrarily oriented, located, and shaped beam in spheroidal coordinates," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 24, 109-118, 2007.
10. Xu, , F., , K. F. Ren, G. Gouesbet, G. Grehan, and X. Cai, "Generalized Lorenz-Mie theory for an arbitrarily oriented located, and shaped beam scattered by homogeneous spheroid ," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A,, Vol. 24, 119-131, 2007.
11. Mackay, , T. G., A. Lakhtakia, and , "Simultaneous negative-and-positive-phase-velocity propagation in an isotropic chiral medium," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett.,, Vol. 49, 1245-1246, 2007.
12. Wongkasem, N. , A. Akyurtlu, and , "Light splitting effects in chiral metamaterials," J. Opt.,, Vol. 12, , 035101, , 2010.
13. Li, , J., , F. Q. Yang, and J. F. Dong, "Design and simulation of L-shaped chiral negative refractive index structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 395-408, 2011.
14. Zarifi, , D., , H. Oraizi, and M. Soleimani, , "Improved performance of circularly polarized antenna using semi-planar chiral metamaterial covers," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 123, 337-354, 2012.
15. Dong, , J. F., , J. Li, and F. Q. Yang, , "Guided modes in the four-layer slab waveguide containing chiral nihility core," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 112, 241-255, 2011.
16. Sabah, , C. , H. G. Roskos, and , "Design of a terahertz polarization rotator based on a periodic sequence of chiral-metamaterial and dielectric slabs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 301-314, 2012.
17. Kluskens, M. S. and E. H. Newman, "Scattering by a multilayer chiral cylinder," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 39, 91-96, 1991.
18. Khatir, , B. N., , M. Al-Kanhal, and A. Sebak, "Electromagnetic wave scattering by elliptic chiral cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications,, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1377-1390, 2006.
19. Lakhtakia, , A., , V. K. Varadan, and V. V. Varadan, "Scattering and absorption characteristics of lossy dielectric, chiral, nonspherical objects," Appl. Opt.,, Vol. 24, 4146-4154, 1985.
20. Demir, , V., , A. Elsherbeni, D. Worasawate, and E. Arvas, , "A graphical user interface (GUI) for plane-wave scattering from a conducting, dielectric, or chiral sphere," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagation Magazine,, Vol. 46, 94-99, 2004.
21. Worasawate, , D., J. R. Mautz, and E. Arvas, "Electromagnetic scattering from an arbitrarily shaped three-dimensional homo-," geneous chiral body IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 51, 1077-1084, 2003.
22. Semichaevsky, , A., , A. Akyurtlu, D. Kern, D. H. Werner, and M. G. Bray, "Novel BI-FDTD approach for the analysis of chiral cylinders and spheres," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 54, 925-932, 2006.
23. Yokota, , M., S. He, and T. Takenaka, "Scattering of a Hermite-Gaussian beam field by a chiral sphere," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 18, 1681-1689, 2001.
24. Zhang, , H. Y., , Z. X. Huang, and Y. F. Sun , "Scattering of a Gaussian beam by a conducting spheroidal particle with non-confocal dielectric coating," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 59, 4371-4374, 2011.
25. Sun, X. M., , H. H.Wang, and H. Y. Zhang, "Scattering of Gaussian beams by a spheroidal particle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 128, 539-555, 2012.
26. Davis, L. W., "Theory of electromagnetic beam," Phys. Rev. A,, Vol. 19, 1177-1179, 1979.
27. Gouesbet, , G., , J. A. Lock, and G. Grehan, "Generalized Lorenz-Mie theories and description of electromagnetic arbitrary shaped beams: Localized approximations and localized beam models, a review," Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer, , Vol. 112, 1-27, 2011.
28. Flammer, , C., Spheroidal Wave Functions, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, , 1957.
29. Stratton, , J. A., , Electromagnetic Theory, , McGraw-Hill, , New York, 1941.