The physiological parameters monitoring of human target are considered to be a meaningful and challenging task in non-line-of-sight (NLOS) scenes such as rescue of trapped survivors in post-disaster. In this paper, a new method based on developed adaptive line enhancer (DALE) is proposed to monitor vital signs via ultra-wideband (UWB) radar with centre frequency of 400 MHz. The validity of this new method is proved by means of two experiments with different positions of human target. The good results demonstrate that this new method can be used for vital sign monitoring including respiration and heartbeat through the obstacle. Furthermore, the motion responses due to respiration and heartbeat in different body positions are also discussed.
2. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and D. Villarino, "Analysis of vital signs monitoring using an IR-UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 265-284, 2010.
3. Ramos, A., A. Lazaro, D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Time-domain measurement of time-coded UWB chipless RFID tags," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 221-237, 2011.
4. Zhang, Z. and Y. Lee, "A robust cad tool for integrated design of UWB antenna system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 441-457, 2011.
5. Alshehri, S. A., S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmood, and Z. Awang, "Experimental breast tumor detection using nn-based UWB imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 447-465, 2011.
6. Alshehri, S. A., S. Khatun, A. B. Jantan, R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, R. Mahmood, and Z. Awang, "3D experimental detection and discrimination of malignant and benign breast tumor using nn-based UWB imaging system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 221-237, 2011.
7. Mikhelson, I. V., S. Bakhtiari, T. W. Elmer, and A. V. Sahakian, "Remote sensing of heart rate and patterns of respiration on a stationary subject using 94-GHz millimeter-wave interferometry," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 58, No. 6, 1671-1677, 2011.
8. Yang, Y., S. M. Royg, N. C. Karmakar, and X. Zhu, "A novel narrow bandpass filter for image rejection and channel selection in a wireless sleep apnoea monitoring system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 483-501, 2012.
9. Zhang, W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010.
10. Jia, Y., L. Kong, and X. Yang, "A novel approach to target localization through unknown walls for through-the-wall radar imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 107-132, 2011.
11. Li, Y., X. Jing, H. Lv, and J. Wang, "Analysis of characteristics of two close stationary human targets detected by impulse radio UWB radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 126, 429-447, 2012.
12. McGinley, B., M. O'Halloran, R. C. Conceicao, G. Higgins, E. Jones, and M. Glavin, "The effects of compression on ultra wideband radar signals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 51-65, 2011.
13. Shaban, H. A., M. A. El-Nasr, and R. M. Buehrer, "Localization with sub-millimeter accuracy for UWB-based wearable human movement radar systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 11-12, 1633-1644, 2011.
14. Wong, S. K., F. Kung, S. Maisurah, and M. N. B. Osman, "A wimedia compliant cmos RF power amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) transmitter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 329-347, 2011.
15. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "A time-domain approach to the synthesis of UWB antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 557-575, 2012.
16. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Design and analysis of planar ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 125, 483-501, 2012.
17. Andres-Garcia, B., L. E. Garcia-Munoz, D. Segovia-Vargas, I. Camara-Mayorga, and R. Gusten, "Ultrawideband antenna excited by a photomixer for terahertz band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 1-15, 2011.
18. Nezirovic, A., A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "Signal processing for improved detection of trapped victims using UWB radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 48, No. 4, 2005-2014, 2010.
19. Lv, H., G. H. Lu, X. J. Jing, and J. Q. Wang, "A new ultra-wideband radar for detecting survivors buried under earthquake rubbles," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2621-2624, 2010.
20. Zhu, F., S. C. S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, and J. D. Xu, "Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 121-139, 2011.
21. Crowgey, B. R., E. J. Rothwell, L. C. Kempel, and E. L. Mokole, "Comparison of UWB short-pulse and stepped-frequency radar systems for imaging through barriers ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 403-419, 2010.
22. Tian, B., D. Y. Zhu, and Z. D. Zhu, "A novel moving target detection approach for dual-channel SAR system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 191-206, 2011.
23. Li, B., Z. Zhou, D. Li, and S. Zhai, "Efficient cluster identification for measured ultra-wideband channel impulse response in vehicle cabin," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 121-147, 2011.
24. Baboli, M., A. Sharafi, A. Ahmadian, and M. S. Nambakhsh, "An accurate and robust algorithm for detection of heart and respiration rates using an impulse based UWB signal," International Conference on Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Engineering, ICBPE'09, 13-18, 2009.
25. Ossberger, G., T. Buchegger, E. Schimback, A. Stelzer, and R. Weigel, "Non-invasive respiratory movement detection and monitoring of hidden humans using ultra wideband pulse radar," Proc. of the 2004 International Workshop on Ultra Wideband Systems Joint with Conference on Ultra Wideband Systems and Technologies, 395-399, Piscataway, NJ, USA, 2004.
26. Pavlov, S. and S. Samkov, "Algorithm of signal processing in ultra-wideband radar designed for remote measuring parameters of patient's cardiac activity," Ultrawideband and Ultrashort Impulse Signals, 2004 Second International Workshop, 204-207, 2004.
27. Xu, Y., S. Dai, S. Wu, J. Chen, and G. Fang, "Vital sign detection method based on multiple higher order cumulant for ultrawideband radar," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 50, No. 4, 1254-1265, 2012.
28. Liu, Z., L. Liu, and B. Barrowes, "The application of the Hilbert-Huang transform in through-wall life detection with UWB impulse radar ," PIERS Online, Vol. 6, No. 7, 695-699, 2010.
29. Federal Communications Commission (FCC), First report and order in the matter of revision of Part 15 of the commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission systems, ET Docket 98-153, FCC 02-48, Apr. 2002.
30. Li, W., X. Jing, Z. Li, and J. Wang, "A new algorithm for through wall human respiration monitoring using GPR," 14th International Conference on Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR), 947-952, 2012.
31. Mendel, J. M., "Tutorial on higher-order statistics (spectra) in signal processing and system theory: Theoretical results and some applications," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 79, No. 3, 278-305, 1991.
32. Kiriazi, J. E., O. Boric-Lubecke, and V. M. Lubecke, "Dual-frequency technique for assessment of cardiopulmonary effective RCS and displacement ," IEEE Sens. J., Vol. 12, No. 3, 574-582, 2012.