Microstrip reflectarrays consisting of rectangular patches are investigated for application in space-based dual-polarized dual-beam radar interferometers. For nadir looking beams the angle of incidence of feed radiation in each patch is nominally 45˚. In such an application, square-patch reflectarrays can be designed for only one polarization with a sacrifice in performance in the other whereas reflectarrays consisting of rectangular patches may be designed for both polarizations, thereby improving their radiation performance. Piecewise planar parabolic reflectarrays consisting of square patches exhibit poor scan performance in tilted configuration. It is shown that with the use of rectangular patches in such a reflectarray one can design two beams of different polarizations for two offset feeds, thereby providing significant improvement in bandwidth and radiation performance.
2. Hodges, R. E. and M. Zawadzki, "A reflectarray antenna for use in interferometric ocean height measurement," IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1131-1139, Big Sky, MT, Mar. 2005.
3. Zawadzki, M., S. R. Rengarajan, and R. E. Hodges, "The design of H- and V-pol slot array feeds for a scanned, offset, dual-polarized reflectarray ," IEEE International Antennas and Propagation Symposium, Washington, DC, Jul. 2005.
4. Esteban-Fernandez, D., et al., KA band SAR interferometry studies for the SWOT mission, Proc. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 4401-4402, 2010.
5. Encinar, J. A. and M. Barba, Design manufacture and test of ka band reflectarray antenna for transmitting and receiving orthogonal polarization, Proc. 14th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM) and the American Electromagnetics Conference (AMREM), 2010.
6. Encinar, J. A., et al., "Dual-polarization dual-coverage reflectarray for space application," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 10, 2827-2837, Oct. 2006.
7. Roederer, A., "Reflector antenna comprising a plurality of panels," US Patent, No. US 2001/0020914 A1, Sep. 13, 2001.
8. Legay, H., et al., "Reflectarrays for contoured beam antennas in Ku band," ESTEC Antenna Workshop, 2010.
9. Racette, P. E., et al., A novel reflector/reflectarray antenna, http://esto.nasa.gov/conferences/estf2011/papers/Racette EST-F2011.pdf.
10. Rengarajan, S. R., Reciprocity considerations in microstrip reflectarrays, Vol. 8, 1206-1209, IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 2009.
11. Rengarajan, S. R., "Choice of basis functions for accurate characterization of infinite array of microstrip reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 47-50, 2005.
12. Rengarajan, S. R., "Scanning and defocusing characteristics of microstrip reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 163-166, 2010.
13. Zhou, M., S. B. Sorenson, E. Jorgenson, P. Meincke, O. S. Kim, and O. Breinbjerg, "An accurate technique for caluculation of radiation from printed reflectarrays," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1081-1084, 2011.
14. Pozar, D. M., "Bandwidth of reflectarrays," Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 11, 1490-1491, Oct. 16, 2003.
15. Rahmat-Samii, Y., "Useful coordinate transformations for antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 27, No. 4, 571-572, Jul. 1979.
16. Baars, J. W. M., The Paraboloidal Reflector Antenna in Radio Astronomy and Communication, Springer, New York, 2007.