In this paper, some design criteria for a Tubular Linear Induction Motor (TLIM) as a fast actuator are considered. The in fluence of geometrical and physical parameters on the operating conditions of a TLIM are investigated by means a quasi-analytic model. The model is based on the application of the Fourier Transform both in space and in time. The Fourier transform in space is introduced to take into account the finite length of the stator windings in the axial direction. The transient electrical response of the motor at standstill following the insertion of a three-phase system of voltage generators is performed by the Fourier transform in the time.
2. Duncan, J., "Linear induction motor equivalent circuit model," Proc. Inst. Elect. Eng., Vol. 130, Part B, No. 1, 5157, Jan. 1983.
3. Gieras, J. F., Linear Induction Drives, Clarendon, Oxford, UK, 1994.
4. Boldea, I. and S. A. Nasar, Linear Motion Electromagnetic Systems, Wiley, New York, 1985.
5. Nasar, S. A., et al., "Eddy-current losses in a tubular linear induction motor," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 30, No. 4, 1437-1445, Jul. 1994.
6. Matyas, A. R., K. A. Biro, and D. Fodorean, "Multi-phase synchronous motor solution for steering applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 63-80, 2012.
7. Touati, S., R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Djerdir, "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011.
8. Greig, J. and E. M. Freeman, "Travelling-wave problem in electrical machines," Proc. IEE, Vol. 114, No. 11, 1681-1683, Nov. 1967.
9. Tegopulos, J. A. and E. E. Kriezis, Eddy Currents in Linear Conducting Media, Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1985.
10. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and A. Tellini, "Fields analysis in axysimmetric actuators," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 36, No. 4, 1906-1909, Jul. 2000.
11. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Force and torque evaluation in hybrid FEM-MOM formulations," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 37, No. 5, 3108-3111, Sep. 2001.
12. Musolino, A., "Finite-element method/method of moments formulation for the analysis of current distribution in rail launchers," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 41, No. 1, 387-392, 2005.
13. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Analysis of the performance of a multi-stage pulsed linear induction launcher," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 37, No. 1, 111-115, Jan. 2001.
14. Eastham, J. F., R. Akmese, D. Rodger, and R. J. Hill-Cottingham, "Prediction of thrust forces in tubular induction machines," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 28, No. 2, 1375-1377, Mar. 1992.
15. EFFE, User Manual, Bathwick Electrical Design Ltd., UK, Sep. 2009.
16. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Analysis of the performance of a combined coil-rail launcher," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 39, No. 1, 103-107, 2003.
17. Lecointe, J.-P., B. Cassoret, and J.-F. Brudny, "Distinction of toothing and saturation effects on magnetic noise of induction motors ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 125-137, 2011.
18. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
19. Jian, L., G. Xu, Y. Gong, J. Song, J. Liang, and M. Chang, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of a novel magnetic-gear-integrated wind power generator using time-stepping finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 351-367, 2011.
20. Musolino, A. and R. Rizzo, "Numerical analysis of brush commutation in helical coil electromagnetic launchers," IET Science, Measurement and Technology, Vol. 5, No. 4, 147-154, 2011.
21. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, and R. Rizzo, "Numerical simulation of a complete generator-rail launch system," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 41, No. 1, 369-374, 2005.
22. Musolino, A., M. Raugi, and B. Tellini, "3-D field analysis in tubular induction launchers with armature transverse motion," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 35, No. 1, 154-159, 1999.
23. Musolino, A. and R. Rizzo, "Numerical modeling of helical launchers," IEEE Transactions on Plasma Science, Vol. 39, 935-940, 2011.
24. Matrosov, V. M., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and M. Tucci, "A new passive maglev system based on eddy current stabilization," IEEE Trans. on Mag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 984-987, 2009.
25. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, E. Tripodi, and M. Toni, "Modelling of electromechanical devices by GPU accelerated integral formulation ," Int. J. of Num. Modelling: Electron. Networks, Devices and Fields, Published online in Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com), 1-21, 2012, DOI:10.1002/jnm.1860.
26. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, E. Tripodi, and M. Toni, Acceleration of electromagnetic launchers modeling by using graphic processing unit, IEEE 16th EML Symposium Conference Proceedings, Beijing, May 15-19, 2012.
27. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, M. Raugi, R. Rizzo, and M. Tucci, "A wavelet based method for the analysis of impulsive noise due to switch commutations in power line communication (PLC) systems," IEEE Trans. on Smart Grid, Vol. 2, No. 1, 80-89, Mar. 2011.
28. Barmada, S., A. Musolino, R. Rizzo, and M. Tucci, "Multi-resolution based sensitivity analysis of complex non-linear circuits," IET Circuits, Devices and Systems, Vol. 6, No. 3, 176-186, 2012.
29. Di Puccio, F., "Permanent magnet bearing design: Optimising the magnetisation direction ," Int. Jour. Appl. Mech. and Eng., Vol. 9, No. 4, 655-674, 2004.
30. Kostenko, M. and L. Piotrovsky, Electrical Machines, MIR Publishers, Moscow, 1974.
31. Liwschitz, M., Electrical Machinery, D. Van Nostrand, New York, 1946.
32. Calixto, W. P., B. Alvarenga, A. P. Coimbra, A. J. Alves, L. M. Neto, M. Wu, W. G. da Silva, and E. Delbone, "Carters factor calculation using domain transformations and the finite element method," Int J. Numer Model El., Vol. 25, No. 3, 236-247, Jun. 2012.
33. Yamamura, S., Theory of Linear Induction Motors, John Wiley & Sons, 1972.
34. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, Analytical model of a travelling wave multipole field electromagnetic launcher, IEEE 16th EML Symposium Conference Proceedings, Beijing, May 15-19, 2012.
35. Musolino, A., R. Rizzo, and E. Tripodi, Analysis and design criteria of a tubular linear induction motor for a possible use in the electro-magnetic aircraft launch system, IEEE 16th EML Symposium Conference Proceedings, Beijing, May 15-19, 2012.
36. Abramovitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, Dover, New York, 1972.