In this work, a new method has been proposed for the finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) analysis of the transient grounding resistance (TGR) of large grounding systems. To calculate the TGR, a coarse grid has been occupied to model the earthing conductor, the CPML is chose to truncate the computational domain, and parallel implementation is involved to overcome the memory limit of the serial FDTD. With this model, the effect of the earthing conductor number and topology structure, the buried depth, and the ground permittivity and conductivity on the TGR is tested to find an optimized program to decrease the TGR of the lightning protection grounding systems.
2. Grcev, L., "Computer analysis of transient voltage in large grounding systems ," IEEE Trans. on Power Delivery, Vol. 11, No. 2, 815-823, April 1996.
3. Grcev, L. and D. Hristov, "More accurate modeling of earthing systems transient behaviour," 15th International Telecommunications Energy Conference, INTELEC, Vol. 2, 167-173, Paris, France, 1993.
4. Visacro, S. F., "Modeling of earthing systems for lightning protection applications, including propagation effects," ICLP, Berlin, Germany, 1992.
5. Johny, M., "Recommendation for grounding systems in lightning protection systems," ISEPQ, Vol. 31, Sup. 2, 5-10, Asuncion, Paraguay, October 2011.
6. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, C. Gomes, and W. F. Wan Ahmad, "An analytical second-FDTD method for evaluation of electric and magnetic fields at intermediate distances from lightning channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 329-352, 2010.
7. Gomes, C. and Z. A. Zb. Kadir, "Protection of naval systems against electromagnetic effects due to lightning," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 333-349, 2011.
8. Izadi, M., M. Z. A. Ab Kadir, and C. Gomes, "Evaluation of electromagnetic fields associated with inclined lightning channel using second order FDTD-hybrid methods," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 209-236, 2011.
9. Lee, K. H., I. Ahmed, R. S. M. Goh, E. H. Khoo, E. P. Li, and T. G. G. Hung, "Implementation of the FDTD method based on lorentz-drude dispersive model on GPU for plasmonics applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 441-456, 2011.
10. Kong, Y.-D. and Q.-X. Chu, "Reduction of numerical dispersion of the six-stages split-step unconditional-stable FDTD method with controlling parameters ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 175-196, 2012.
11. Sirenko, K., "An FFT-accelerated FDTD scheme with exact absorbing conditions for characterizing axially symmetric resonant structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 331-364, 2011.
12. Xiao, S.-Q., Z. H. Shao, and B.-Z. Wang, "Application of the improved matrix type FDTD method for active antenna analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 245-263, 2010.
13. Cao, D.-A. and Q.-X. Chu, "FDTD analysis of chiral discontinuities in waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 19-26, 2011.
14. Ai, X., Y. Han, C. Y. Li, and X.-W. Shi, "Analysis of dispersion relation of piecewise linear recursive convolution FDTD method for space-varying plasma," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 83-93, 2011.
15. Silva, A. O., R. Bertholdo, M. G. Schiavetto, B.-H. V. Borges, S. J. L. Ribeiro, Y. Messaddeq, and M. A. Romero, "Comparative analysis between experimental characterization results and numerical FDTD modeling of self-assembled photonic crystals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 329-342, 2010.
16. Xu, K., Z. Fan, D.-Z. Ding, and R.-S. Chen, "GPU accelerated unconditionally stable Crank-Nicolson FDTD method for the analysis of three-dimensional microwave circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 381-395, 2010.
17. Lu, J., Z. Fan, D.-Z. Ding, and R.-S. Chen, "FDTD method investigation on the polarimetric scattering from 2-D rough surface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 173-188, 2010.
18. Tanabe, K., "Novel method for analyzing dynamic behavior of grounding systems based on the finite-difference time-domain method," IEEE Power Engineering Review, Vol. 21, 55-57, 2001.
19. Tannus, T. E., R. O. dos Santos, R. M. S. de Oliveira, and C. L. da Silva Souza, "Transient analysis of parameters governing grounding systems by the FDTD method," IEEE Latin America Transactions, Vol. 4, No. 1, 55-61, March 2006.
20. Xiong, R., B. Chen, Y.-F. Mao, W. Deng, Q. Wu, and Y.-Y. Qiu, "FDTD modeling of the earthing conductor in the transient grounding resistance analysis," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 35, 1248-1257, August 2012.
21. Roden, J. A. and S. D. Gedney, "Convolution PML (CPML): An efficient FDTD implementation of the CFS-PML for arbitrary media," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 27, 334-339, 2000.
22. Mao, Y.-F., B. Chen, H.-Q. Liu, J.-L. Xia, and J.-Z. Tang, "A hybrid implicit-explicit spectral FDTD scheme for the oblique incidence programs on periodic structures ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 153-170, 2012.
23. Lei, J. Z., C. H. Liang, and Y. Zhang, "Study on shielding effectiveness of metallic cavities with apertures by combining parallel FDTD method with windowing technique," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 85-112, 2007.
24. Vaccari, A., A. Cala' Lesina, L. Cristoforetti, and R. Pontalti, "Parallel implementation of a 3-D subgridding FDTD algorithm for large simulation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 263-292, 2011.
25. Taboada, J. M., M. G. Araujo, J. M. Bertolo, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "MLFMA-FFT parallel algorithm for the solution of large-scale problems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 15-30, 2010.
26. Ergul, O., "Parallel implementation of MLFMA for homgeneous objects with various material properties," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 505-520, 2010.
27. Yang, D., J. Xiong, C. Liao, and L. Jen, "A parallel FDTD algorithm based on domain decomposition method using the MPI library," PDCAT's, 730-733, 2003.
28. Berenger, J. P., "A perfectly matched layer for the absorption of the electromagnetic waves," J. Comput. Phys., 185-200, 1994.
29. Chen, B., D. G. Fang, and B. H. Zhou, "Modified Berenger PML absorbing boundary condition for FD-TD meshes," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 5, No. 11, 399-401, November 1995.
30. IEC 62305-3. ed.2.0, Protection Against Lightning --- Part 3: Physical Damage to Structures and Life Hazard, 2004.