The purpose of this paper is to provide both qualitative and quantitative assessment of one of the methods for providing reliable transmission in the ZigBee system. After intensive research on the time delay spread in a variably loaded reverberation chamber, this facility was then used to measure the Packet Error Rate under multipath conditions ranging from an unloaded to an overloaded chamber case. In all measurements, the key parameter was the number of allowed packet repetitions (retries). Eventually, recommendations were given regarding the optimal use of retries and their impact on ZigBee performance under different multipath scenarios obtained in the reverberation chamber and related to particular propagation environments to which these conditions are typical.
2. Mitilineos, S. A., D. M. Kyriazanos, O. E. Segou, J. N. Goufas, and S. C. A. Thomopoulos, "Indoor localisation with wireless sensor networks," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 441-474, 2010.
3. Jamlos, M. F. B., A. R. B. Tharek, M. R. B. Kamarudin, P. Saad, M. A. Shamsudin, and A. M. M. Dahlan, "A novel adaptive WiFi system with RFID technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 417-432, 2010.
4. Gross, N., "21 ideas for the 21st century," Business Week, 78-167, Aug. 30, 1999.
5. Alsehaili, M., S. Noghanian, A. R. Sebak, and D. A. Buchanan, "Angle and time of arrival statistics of a three dimensional geometrical scattering channel model for indoor and outdoor propagation environments," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 191-209, 2010.
6. Ndzi, D. L., K. Stuart, S. Toautachone, B. Vuksanovic, and D. Sanders, "Wideband sounder for dynamic and static wireless channel characterisation: Urban picocell channel model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 285-312, 2011.
7. ITU, "Propagation data for the terrestrial land mobile service in the vhf and uhf bands," ITU-R P.1145, 1995.
8. ITU, Multipath propagation and parameterization of its characteristics, ITU-R P.1407, 2003.
9. Rappaport, T. S., Wireless Communications. Principles and Practice, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, 2002.
10. Cuiñas, I. and M. G. Sánchez, "Measuring, modelling, and characterizing of indoor radio channel at 5.8 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 50, No. 2, 526-535, Mar. 2001.
11. Wysocki, T. A. and H. J. Zepernick, "Characterization of the indoor radio propagation channel at 2.4 GHz," Journal of Telecommunications and Information Technology, 3-4, 2001.
12. Dillard, C. L., A study of rough surface scattering phenomena in the LMDS band (28 GHz) , Master's Thesis, Blacksburg, Virginia, Feb. 27, 2003.
13. Janssen, G. J. M., P. A. Stigter, and R. Prasad, "Wideband indoor channel measurements and BER analysis of frequency selective multipath channels at 2.4, 4.75 and 11.5 GHz," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1272-1288, Oct. 1996.
14. Moraitis, N., A. Kanatas, G. Pantos, and P. Constantinou, "Delay spread measurements and characterization in a special propagation environment for PCS microcells," Proc. IEEE 13th International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications, Vol. 3, 1190-1194, Sep. 2002.
15. Fleury, B. H., "An uncertainty relation for WSS processes and its application to WSSUS systems," IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 44, No. 12, 1632-1634, Dec. 1996.
16. Hashemi, H., "The indoor radio propagation channel," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 81, No. 7, 943-968, Jul. 1993.
17. Andersen, J. B., Radio channel characterisation, COST 231 Final Report, COST Office, European Commission, Brussels, Belgium, 1999.
18. Saunders, S. R., "Antennas and Propagation for Wireless Communication Systems," John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
19. Chuang, J. C., "The effects of time delay spread on portable radio communications channels with digital modulation," IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 5, No. 5, 879-889, Jun. 1987.
20. IEEE, IEEE Std 802.15.4-2006, Part 15.4: Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layer (PHY) specification for low-rate wireless personal area networks (WPANs), 1-320, 2006.
21. Centeno, A. and N. Alford, "Measurement of zigbee wireless communications in mode-stirred and mode-tuned reverberation chamber ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 171-178, 2011.
22. Hope, D., J. Dawson, A. Marvin, M. Panitz, C. Christopoulos, and P. Sewell, "Assessing the performance of ZigBee in a reverberant environment using a mode stirred chamber," Proc. IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility --- EMC Europe 2008, 1-6, Hamburg, Sep. 18-22, 2008, doi: 10.1109/ISEMC.2008.4652116.
23. Genender, E., C. L. Holloway, K. A. Remley, J. Ladbury, G. Koepke, and H. Garbe, Use of reverberation chamber to simulate the power delay profile of a wireless environment, Proc. International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility --- EMC Europe 2008, 1-6, Hamburg, Sep. 8-12, 2008, doi:10.1109/EMCEUROPE.2008.4786832.
24. Orlenius, C., M. Franzen, P. S. Kildal, and U. Carlberg, "Investigation of heavily loaded reverberation chamber for testing of wideband wireless units," Proc. IEEE Society International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, 3569-3572, Albuquerque, NM, USA, Jul. 9-14, 2006..
25. Pomianek, A. J., K. Staniec, and Z. Jóskiewicz, "Practical remarks on measurement and simulation methods to emulate the wireless channel in the reverberation chamber," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 49-69, 2010.
26. Mariani Primiani, V. and F. Moglie, "Numerical simulation of LOS and NLOS conditions for an antenna inside a reverberation chamber," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2319-2331, 2010.
27. Staniec, K. and A. J. Pomianek, "On simulating the radio signal propagation in the reverberation chamber with the ray launching method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 83-99, 2011.
28. Reza, A. W., M. S. Sarker, and K. Dimyati, "A novel integrated mathematical approach of ray-tracing and genetic algorithm for optimizing indoor wireless coverage," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 147-162, 2010.
29. Gao, P. C., Y. B. Tao, and H. Lin, "Fast RCS prediction using multiresolution shooting and bouncing ray method on the GPU," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 187-202, 2010.
30. Sarker, M. S., A. W. Reza, and K. Dimyati, "A novel ray-tracing technique for indoor radio signal prediction," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1179-1190, 2011.