The phase-shifting characteristic of a novel composite right/left handed transmission line (CRLH TL) for two frequency points is analyzed in this paper. Samples of (90˚, 0˚) and (180˚, 0˚) phase-shifting TLs for two frequency points (f1, f2) are deigned and the total length of the CRLH TLs has decreased by more than 77% compared to the conventional microstrip lines. Then a four way power divider made by three Wilkinson power dividers and interconnected with the (90˚, 0˚) and (180˚, 0˚) phase-shifting TLs is designed to feed an antenna with two different operating modes at two different frequency bands. Four radiating patches arranging symmetrically in a loop are printed in an upper substrate and connected with the four outputs of the feed network by four copper pins. When the four rectangular patches are excited by four sources with equal amplitude and phase at f1, metamaterial antenna with conical beam and linear polarization (LP) is achieved; while four sources with equal amplitude but 90˚ phase difference for each adjacent output at f2 leads to wideband antenna with broadside beam and circular polarization (CP). One antenna prototype with dual-band dual-mode dual-polarization property is fabricated and good agreements between simulation and measurement results are obtained. This single-feed patch antenna is valuable in wireless communications for its radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity.
2. Yang, , F.-R., K.-P. Ma, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, , "A uniplanar compact photonic-bandgap (UC-PBG) structure and its applications for microwave circuit," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech.,, Vol. 47, No. 8, 1509-1514, , 1999.
3. Lai, , A., , K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, 2007..
4. Francisco, J. H. M., , G. P. Vicente, E. G. M. Luis, and S. V. Daniel, "Multifrequency and dual-mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2527-2539, 2008.
5. Niu, , J.-X., , "Dual-band dual-mode patch antenna based on resonant-type metamaterial transmission line," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 4, 268-268, 2010.
6. Dong, Y. D. , T. Itoh, and , "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide slot antennas based on negative order resonance," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3856-3864, 2010.
7. Zhou, , B., , Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Y. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar Vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterial," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011..
8. Huang, , J.-Q. , Q.-X. Chu, and , "Compact UWB band-pass filter utilizing modi¯ed composite right/left-handed structure with cross coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 107, 179-186, 2010..
9. Kim, , D.-O., , N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, , "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, , Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
10. Montero-de-Paz, J., , E. Ugarte-Munoz, and F. J. Herraiz-Martinez, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, , 2011.
11. Cao, , W.-Q., , B.-N. Zhang, T.-B. Yu, A. J. Liu, S.-J. Zhao, D.-S. Guo, and Z.-D. Song, "Single-feed dual-band dual-mode and dual-polarized microstrip antenna based on metamaterial structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 13, 1909-1919, , 2011.
12. Cao, , W.-Q., , B.-N. Zhang, A. J. Liu, D.-S. Guo, T.-B. Yu, and Y. Wei, , "A dual-band microstrip antenna with omnidirectional circularly polarized and unidirectional linearly polarized characteristics based on metamaterial structure ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2--3, 274-283, 2012.
13. Cao, W.-Q., , A. J. Liu, B.-N. Zhang, T.-B. Yu, D.-S. Guo, Y. Wei, and Z.-P. Qian, "Multi-band multi-mode microstrip circular patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 7, 923-931, 2012.
14. Cao, , W.-Q., , B.-N. Zhang, A. J. Liu, T.-B. Yu, D.-S. Guo, and K.-G. Pan, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 453-456, 2012.
15. Lai, , A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Micro., 34-50, 2004.
16. Kim, , H., , A. B. Kozyrev, A. Karbassi, and D. W. van derWeide, "Linear tunable phase shifter using a left-handed transmission line," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 5, 366-368, , 2005..
17. Mao, S.-G., , M.-S. Wu, Y.-Z. Chueh, and C. H. Chen, "Modeling of symmetric composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguides with applications to compact bandpass filters," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 11, , 3460-3466, , 2005.
18. Zhu, , Q., , Z. X. Zhang, and S. J. Xu, "Millimeter wave microstrip array design with CRLH-TL as feeding line," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp.,, Vol. 3, , 3413-3416, , 2004..
19. Lee, C., Lee, C., K. M. Leong, and T. Itoh, , "Composite right/left-handed transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag.,, Vol. 54, No. 8, , 2283-2291, , 2006..
20. Mao, , S.-G. , Y.-Z. Chueh, and , "Broadband composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide power splitters with arbitrary phase responses and balun and antenna applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 1, 234-250, 2006..
21. Lin, , X. Q., , R. P. Liu, X. M. Yang, J. X. Chen, X. X. Ying, Q. Cheng, and T. J. Cui, "Arbitrarily dual-band components using simpli¯ed structures of conventional CRLH-TLs," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 2902-2909, 2006.
22. Gil, , M., , J. Bonache, J. Garcia-Garcia, J. Martel, and F. Martion, "Composite right/left handed (CRLH) metamaterial transmission lines based on complementary split rings resonators (CSRRs) and their applications to very wide band and compact filter design ," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, 1296-1304, 2007..
23. Lin, , X. Q., , H. F. Ma, D. Bao, and T. J. Cui, , "Design and analysis of super-wide bandpass filters using a novel compact meta-structure," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech.,, Vol. 55, 747-753, 2007..
24. Lin, X. Q., , X. Q., , D. Bao, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Novel composite phase-shifting transmission-line and its application in the design of antenna array," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 58, No. 2, 375-380, 2010..
25., Microstrip Circuits,, Tsinghua University and Post & Telecom, Press, Beijing, China, 1976..
26. Hu, , Y.-J., , W.-P. Ding, and W.-Q. Cao, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna array using sequentially rotated technique," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett.,, Vol. 10, 1358-1361, 2011.
27. Huang, , J., "A technique for an array to generate circular polarization with linearly polarized elements," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 34, , No. 9, 1113-1124, 1986.
28. Qureshi, , F., , M. A. Antoniades, and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A compact and low-profile metamaterial ring antenna with vertical polarization," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 4, 333-336, 2005.
29. Antoniades, M. A. , G. V. Eleftheriades, and , "A folded-monopole model for electrically small NRI-TL metamaterial antennas," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 425-428, 2008.