In this paper, a novel technique to develop multifrequency microstrip patch antennas with polarization diversity or circular polarization is presented. The proposed approach consists of exciting modes with orthogonal polarizations in microstrip patches partially filled with Composite Right/Left-Handed (CRLH) cells. Two different kinds of quad-frequency single-layer patch antennas are proposed. The first one has two orthogonal ports with high isolation between them. The second kind of quad-frequency patch antennas consists of exciting the four modes with two orthogonal polarizations through only one port. Finally, the proposed approach is used to develop dualfrequency circularly-polarized (CP) patch antennas by exciting the modes with orthogonal polarizations in quadrature phase. Prototypes of all the designs are manufactured and measured, showing good performance.
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, UK, 1989.
3. Gao, S. and J. Li, "FDTD analysis of a sized-reduced, dual-frequency patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 23, 59-77, 1999.
4. Wang, Y. J. and C. K. Lee, "Design of dual-frequency microstrip patch antennas and application for IMT-2000 mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 36, 265-278, 2002.
5. Gao, S., J. L.-W. Li, and A. Sambell, "FDTD analysis of a dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 155-178, 2005.
6. Croq, F. and D. M. Pozar, "Multifrequency operation of microstrip antennas using aperture coupled parallel resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 40, 1367-1374, Nov. 1992.
7. Anguera, J., G. Font, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Multifrequency microstrip patch antenna using multiple stacked elements,", Vol. 13, No. 3, Mar. 2003.
8. Anguera, J., E. Martínez, C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Broad-band dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna with modi¯ed sierpinski fractal geometry ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 52, No. 1, 66-73, Jan. 2004.
9. Daniel, A. E. and G. Kumar, "Tuneable dual and triple stub loaded," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 48, No. 7, 1026-1039, Jul. 2000.
10. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Dual frequency broadband stacked microstrip antenna using a reactive loading and a fractal-shaped radiating edge," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 309-312, 2007.
11. Montero-de-Paz, J., E. Ugarte-Muñoz, F. J. Herraiz-Martínez, V. González-Posadas, L. E. Garcia-Munoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multifrequency self-diplexed single patch antennas loaded with split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 47-66, 2011.
12. Herraiz-Martínez, F. J., V. González-Posadas, L. E. García-Muñoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Multi-frequency and dual mode patch antennas partially filled with left-handed structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 8, Part 2, 2527-2539, Aug. 2008.
13. Chung, Y., S.-S. Jeon, D. Ahn, J.-I. Choi, and T. Itoh, "High isolation dual-polarized patch antenna using integrated defected ground structure," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, 4-6, Jan. 2004.
14. Sim, C.-Y.-D., C.-C. Chang, and J.-S. Row, "Dual-band dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3321-3324, Oct. 2009.
15. Chiou, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 50, No. 3, 399-401, Mar. 2002.
16. Chiou, T.-W. and K.-L. Wong, "A compact dual-band dual-polarized patch antenna for 900/1800-MHz cellular systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1936-1940, Aug. 2003.
17. Soodmand, S., A novel circular shaped dual-band dual-polarized patch antenna and introducing a new approach for designing combined feed networks, 2009 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 401-404, Loughborough, UK, Nov. 2009.
18. Lai, H.-W. and K.-M. Luk, "Dual polarized patch antenna fed by meandering probes," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 9, 2625-2627, Sep. 2007.
19. Padhi, S. K., N. C. Karkmar, Sr., C. L. Law, S. Aditya, and Sr., "A dual polarized aperture coupled circular patch antenna using a C-shaped coupling slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 12, 3295-3298, Dec. 2003.
20. Gao, S., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 4, 898-900, Apr. 2003.
21. Boccia, L., G. Amendola, and G. Di Massa, "A dual frequency microstrip patch antenna high-precision GPS applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 3, 157-160, 2004.
22. Pozar, D. M. and S. M. Duffy, "A dual-band circularly polarized aperture-coupled stacked microstrip antenna for global positioning satellite ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 45, No. 11, 1618-1625, Nov. 1997.
23. Ferrero, F., C. Luxey, G. Jacquemod, and R. Staraj, "Dual-band circularly polarized microstrip antenna for satellite applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 4, 13-15, 2005.
24. Yang, K.-P. and K.-L. Wong, "Dual-band circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 3, 377-382, Mar. 2001.
25. Kim, H. J., K. S. Yoon, S. M. Kim, and W. G. Yang, Design and implementation of dual-band circular polarization square patch antenna for the reception of GPS and S-DMB signals , IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 2657-2660, Albuquerque, NM, Jul. 2006.
26. Nasimuddin, Z. N. Chen, X. Qing, "Dual-band circularly polarized S-shaped slotted patch antenna with a small frequency-ratio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 58, No. 6, 2112-2115, 2010.
27. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "Dual-frequency circularly-polarized patch antenna with compact size and small frequency ratio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 55, No. 7, 2104-2107, Jul. 2007.
28. Sung, Y. J. and Y.-S. Kim, "Circular polarised microstrip patch antennas for broadband and dual-band operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 9, 520-522, Apr. 2004.
29. Sievenpiper, D., L. Zhang, F. J. Broas, N. G. Alexopulos, and E. Yablonovitch, "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces with a forbidden frequency band ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, No. 11, 2059-2074, Nov. 1999.
30. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Planar distributed structures with negative refractive index," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theroy and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 4, 1252-1263, Apr. 2004.
31. Lin, I. H., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "A branch-line coupler with two arbitrary operating frequencies using left-handed transmission lines," 2003 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 325-3258, Philadelphia, PA, Jun. 2003.
32. Howe, H. H., Stripline Circuit Desing, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1974.