A novel design of planar dual and triple narrow-band bandstop filter is presented by adopting the proposed meandered slot defected microstrip structure (MS-DMS) and the simplified spiral microstrip resonator (SSMR). Through this design, the stopbands of the dual- and triple-band bandstop filters can be individually controlled and the improved spurious responses are achieved. First, the fundamental and the first spurious resonances of the MS-DMS and SSMR are analyzed to provide the design rules. Then, by utilizing the prominent stopband of the MS-DMS and the stopband produced by the SSMR coupled to main microstrip line, a dual narrow-band bandstop filter is constructed before its design procedure is outlined. Based on above investigations, a triple narrow-band bandstop filter is implemented by inserting extra SSMRs to another side of the main microstrip line of the dual-band filter to generate a new stopband. To verify the aforementioned design concepts, a dual and triple narrow-band bandstop filter are designed, simulated and tested. Both the simulation and measurement indicate that the fabricated filters exhibit good stopband/passband performance and improved first spurious resonance. Moreover, these filters are simple to design and quite compatible with planar fabrication technique, making them very attractive for practical applications.
2. Ma, , D.-C., , Z.-Y. Xiao, L.-L. Xiang, X.-H. Wu, C.-Y. Huang, and X. Kou, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter using folded SIR with two stubs for WLAN, ," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 117, 357-364, , 2011..
3. Chaudhary, , G., , Y. Jeong, K. Kim, and D. Ahn, "Design of dual-band bandpass filters with controllable bandwidths using new mapping function," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 124, 17-34, 2012..
4. Chiou, Y.-C., J.-Y. Kuo, and , "Planar multiband bandpass filter with multimode stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 114, 129-144, , 2011.
5. Chen, , J., , J.-Z. Chen, B. Wu, Y. L. Zhang, and C.-H. Liang, "Design of triple-band microstrip filter with transmission zeros using open stubs," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application,, Vol. 26, No. 4, 525-534, 2012.
6. Chen, , W.-Y., , M.-H. Weng, S.-J. Chang, H. Kuan, and Y.-H. Su, "A new tri-band bandpass filter for GSM, WiMAX, and ultra-wideband responses by using asymmetric stepped impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, , Vol. 124, 365 -381, , 2012.
7. Uchida, , H., H. Kamino, K. Totani, N. Yoneda, M. Miyazaki,Y. Konishi, S. Makino, J. Hirokawa, and M. Ando, , "Dual-band-rejection filter for distortion reduction in RF transmitter," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 11, 2550-2556, 2004.
8. Tseng, , C.-H., T. Itoh, and , "Dual-band bandpass and bandstop filters using composite right/left-handed metamaterial transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 931-934, 2006.
9. Chin, , K.-S., , J. H. Yeh, and S. H. Chao, "Compact dual-band bandstop filters using stepped-impedance resonators," IEEE Microwave Wireless Comp. Lett.,, Vol. 17, No. 12, 849-851, 2007.
10. Chin, K.-S. , C.-K. Lung, and , "Miniaturized microstrip dual-band bandstop ¯lters using tri-section stepped-impedance resonators," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 10, 37-48, 2009.
11. Cheng, , D., H.-C. Yin, and H.-X. Zheng, , "A compact dual-band bandstop filter with defected microstrip slot," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application,, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1374-1380, 2012.
12. Vegesna, , S. , M. Saed, and , "\Microstrip dual-band bandpass and bandstop filters,"," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett.,, Vol. 54, No. 1, 168-171, 2012..
13. Rambabu, , K., , M. Y.-W. Chia, K. Chan, and J. Bornemann, "Design of multiple-stopband filters for interference suppression in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 8, 3333-3338, 2006..
14. Han, , S. H., X. L. Wang, and Y. Fan, "Analysis and design of multiple-band bandstop filters," Progress In Electromagnetic Research,, Vol. 70, 297-306, 2007.
15. Wang, Y., , J. Zhou, and W. Hong, "A multiband bandstop filters using a single ring resonator for a wireless access communication system," Microwave Journal, , Vol. 54, No. 3, 102-108, 2011.
16. Kazerooni, , M. , A. Cheldavi, and , "Simulation, analysis, design and applications of array defected microstrip structure (ADMS) filters using rigorously coupled multi-strip (RCMS) method," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 63, 193-207, 2006..
17. Fallahzadeh, , S. , M. Tayarani, and , "A new microstrip UWB bandpass filter using defected microstrip structures," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 24, No. 7, 893-902, 2010..
18. Barbarino, , S., F. Consoli, and , "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
19. Xiang, , Q.-Y., , Q.-Y. Feng, and X.-G. Huang, , "Bandstop filter based on complementary split ring resonators defected microstripstructure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application,, Vol. 25, No. 13, , 1895-1908, 2011.
20. La, , D., Y. Lu, S. Sun, N. Liu, and J. Zhang, "A novel compact bandstop ¯lter using defected microstrip structure," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett.,, Vol. 53, No. 2, 433-435, 2011.
21. Kazerooni, , M. , M. Aghalari, and , "Size reduction and harmonic suppression of rat-race hybrid coupler using defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters,, Vol. 26, 87-96, 2011..
22. Cheng, D., H.-C. Yin, and H.-X. Zheng, "Investigation on a defected microstrip structure and applications in designing microstrip filters," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Application, Vol. 26, No. 10, 1332-1340, 2012.
23. Gupta, , K. C., , R. Garg, I. Bahl, and P. Bhartia, , Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, , 2nd Ed., Artech House, , Norwood, MA, 1996.
24. Joubert, , J., , "\Spiral microstrip resonators for narrow-stopband filters," IEE Proc.-Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 150, No. 6, 493-496, , 2003.
25. Zysman, , G. I. , A. Johnson, and , "Coupled transmission line networks in an inhomogeneous dielectric medium," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech.,, Vol. 17, No. 10, 753-759, 1969.
26. Hong, , J. S. , M. J. Lancaster, and , Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications,, John Wiley & Sons, , New York, , 2001..