In this paper, we investigate the impact of beamforming (BF) on a multi-antenna two hop amplify-and-forward (AF) fixed gain relay network over Rician-Rayleigh and Rayleigh-Rician asymmetric fading channels, respectively. The network consists of a relay with single antenna used to assist the signal transmission from the source to the destination, both of which are equipped with multiple antennas. By using the channel state information (CSI), the maximal output signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) with optimal beamforming is first obtained. Then, the novel analytical expressions for the outage probability (OP), probability density function (PDF) and generalized moments of the maximal output SNR are derived. Moreover, the theoretical formulas of the Ergodic capacity and average symbol error rates (ASERs) with various modulation formats are also developed. To gain further insights, the asymptotic ASERs at high SNR are presented to reveal the diversity order and array gain of the multi-antenna relay network. Finally, computer simulations confirm the validity of the theoretical analysis and indicate the influence of antenna number and Rican factor on the system performance.
2. Lee, J.-H. and C.-C. Cheng, "Spatial correlation of multiple antenna arrays in wireless communication systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 347-368, 2012.
3. Yu, X., L. Wang, H.-G. Wang, X. Wu, and Y.-H. Shang, "A novel multiport matching method for maximum capacity of an indoor MIMO system," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 67-84, 2012.
4. Sinha, N. B., D. Kandar, R. Bera, and S. K. Sarkar, "Experimental studies and simulations based prediction of a better MIMO-OFDM combined system for broadband wireless mobile communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 2, 47-64, 2008.
5. Wang, Y., G. Liao, Z. Ye, and X. Wang, "Combined beamforming with alamouti coding using double antenna array group for multiuser interference cancellation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 213-226, 2008.
6. Umrani, A. W., Y. Guan, and F. A. Umrani, "Effect of steering error vector and angular power distributions on beamforming and transmit diversity systems in correlated fading channel," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 383-402, 2010.
7. Lin, M., L. Yang, W.-P. Zhu, and M. Li, "An open-loop adaptive space-time transmit scheme for correlated fading channels," IEEE J. of Sel. Topics in Sig. Proc., Vol. 2, No. 2, 147-158, Apr. 2008.
8. Yang, Y., et al., "Relay technologies for WiMAX and LTE-Advanced mobile systems," IEEE Commun. Mag., Vol. 47, 100-105, Oct. 2009.
9. Deruyck, M., W. Vereecken, W. Joseph, B. Lannoo, M. Pickavet, and L. Martens, "Reducing the power consumption in wireless access networks: Overview and recommendations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 132, 255-274, 2012.
10. Tao, R., L. Si, Y. Ma, P. Zhou, and Z. Liu, "Relay propagation of partially coherent cosh-gaussian beams in non-Kolmogorov turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 131, 495-515, 2012.
11. Xiao, M. and M. Skoglund, "Design of network codes for multiple-user multiple-relay wireless networks," Proc. IEEE ISIT, 2562-2566, Jun. 2009.
12. Xiao, M. and M. Skoglund, "Multiple-user cooperative communications based on linear network coding," IEEE Trans. on Commun., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3345-3351, Dec. 2010.
13. Louie, R. H. Y., et al., "Performance analysis of beamforming in two hop amplify and forward relay networks with antenna correlation," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 8, No. 6, 3132-3141, Jun. 2009.
14. Kim, J.-B. and D. Kim, "Performance of two hop amplify-and-forward beamforming and its equivalent networks in rayleigh fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Commun., Vol. 58, No. 3, 715-732, Mar. 2010.
15. Li, M., et al., "Optimal beamformer design for two hop MIMO AF relay networks over rayleigh fading channels," IEEE J. of Sel. Areas in Commun., Special Issue on Theories and Methods for Advanced Wireless Relays, Vol. 30, No. 8, Sep. 2012.
16. Xu, W., X.-D. Dong, and W.-S. Lu, "MIMO relaying broadcast channels with linear precoding and quantized channel state information feedback ," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 10, 5233-5245, Oct. 2010.
17. Wang, Y. and H. Li, "A novel antenna selection scheme for amplify-and-forward MIMO relay systems," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 11-12, 1531-1543, 2010.
18. Rong, Y. and Y. Hua, "A unified framework for optimizing linear nonregenerative multicarrier MIMO relay communication systems," IEEE Trans. Signal Process., Vol. 58, No. 12, 4937-4952, Dec. 2009.
19. Ferdinand, N. S. and N. Rajatheva, "Unified performance analysis of two-hop fixed gain relay systems with beamforming," Proc. IEEE ICC, Jun. 2011.
20. Senaratne, D. and C. Tellambura, "Unified exact performance analysis of two-hop amplify-and-forward relaying in Nakagami-m fading," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 59, 1529-1534, Mar. 2010.
21. Senarath, G., et al., "Multi-hop relay system evaluation methodology (Channel Model and Performance Metric),", IEEE 802.16j-06/013r3, 2007.
22. Ndzi, D. L., K. Stuart, S. Toautachone, B. Vuksanovic, and D. A. Sanders, "Wideband sounder for dynamic and static wireless channel characterisation: Urban picocell channel model ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 285-312, 2011.
23. Zhao, X., J.-B. Wang, J.-Y. Wang, and el al., "System outage probability analysis in uplink multi-hop cellular systems over composite Channels," EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, Vol. 2011, No. 35, 2011.
24. Suraweera, H. A., et al., "Two hop amplify-and-forward transmission in asymmetric rayleigh and Rician fading channels," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 13, No. 4, 227-229, Apr. 2009.
25. Chen, S., et al., "On the performance of two-hop amplify and forward relay networks with beamforming over Rayleigh-Rician fading channels," Proc. IEEE VTS, 1-4, Ottawa, Canada, Sep. 2010.
26. Ouyang, J., M. Lin, and Y. Zhuang, "Performance analysis of beamforming with feedback delay in two-hop AF relaying over Rayleigh-Rician fading channels," IET Electronics Lett., Vol. 48, No. 11, May 2012.
27. Suraweera, H. A., G. K. Karagiannidis, and P. J. Smith, "Performance analysis of the two hop asymmetric fading channel," IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., Vol. 8, No. 6, 2783-2788, Jun. 2009.
28. Gradshteyn, I. S., I. M. Ryzhik, and A. Jeffrey, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 7th Ed., Academic Press, 2007.
29. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables, 10th Ed., Dover Publications, New York, 1972.
30. Simon, M. K. and M. S. Alouini, Digital Communication over Fading Channels, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press, Wiley, 2005.