A matrix splitting domain decomposition method based on hybrid shell vector element-boundary integral (MSDD-SVE-BI) for three dimensional electromagnetic scattering from multiple conducting bodies coated by thin layer dielectric is proposed. In the framework of domain decomposition, the whole computational domains are divided into a lot of sub-SVE-domains and boundary element domains. For conducting body coated with thin-layer dielectric, the shell vector element is used instead of traditional tetrahedral elements to reduce the number of unknowns. Further, a block Gauss-Seidel type pre-conditioner is applied to attain fast matrix splitting formulation for the matrix connecting surface electric field and surface magnetic field. By this method, only sub-matrix inversion is required in the SVE-BI method, the computational time for connecting matrix can be reduced greatly. Several numerical examples prove the accuracy and efficiency of the present method.
2. Hu, X. J. and D. B. Ge, "Study on conformal FDTD for electromagnetic scattering by targets with thin coating," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 305-319, 2008.
3. Rao, S. M., C. C. Cha, R. L. Cravey, and D. L. Wilkes, "Electromagnetic scattering from arbitrary shaped conducting bodies coated with lossy materials of arbitrary thickness ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, No. 5, 627-637, May 1991.
4. Jin, J. M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons Inc, New York, 1993.
5. Jin, J. M. and J. L. Volakis, "A finite element-boundary integral formulation for scattering by three-dimensional cavity-backed apertures ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 39, 97-104, Jan. 1991.
6. Ali, M. W., T. H. Hubing, and J. L. Drewniak, "A hybrid FEM/MoM technique for electromagnetic scattering and radiation from dielectric objects with attached wires ," IEEE Trans. Electromag. Compat., Vol. 39, 304-314, Nov. 1997.
7. Sheng, X. Q., J. M. Jin, J. Song, C. C. Lu, and W. C. Chew, "On the formulation of hybrid finite-element and boundary-integral methods for 3-D scattering," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 46, 303-311, Mar. 1998.
8. Wang, D. S., "Limits and validity of the impedance boundary condition on penetrable surfaces," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 35, 457, Apr. 1987.
9. Lu, C. C., A modified thin dielectric approximation for calculation of EM scattering by dielectric objects with thin material coating, IEEE Antennas and Propagation International Symposium, 2809-2812, Jun. 9-15, 2007.
10. Chiang, I. T. and W. C. Chew, "A coupled PEC-TDS surface integral equation approach for electromagnetic scattering and radiation from composite metallic and thin dielectric objects," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, 3511-3516, 2006.
11. Pan, G. and R. M. Narayanan, "Electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric sheet using the method of moments with approximate boundary condition," Electromgnetics, Vol. 24, No. 5, 369-384, Jul. 2004.
12. He, S., Z. Nie, and J. Hu, "Numerical solution of scattering from thin dielectric-coated conductors based on TDS approximation and EM boundary conditions ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 339-354, 2009.
13. He, S., Z. Nie, J. Wei, and J. Hu, Numerical solution for dielectric-coated PEC targets based on multi-layer TDS approximation, Microwave Conference Proceedings & Asia-Pacific Conference Proceedings, 2008.
14. He, S., Z. Nie, J. Wei, and J. Hu, "A highly efficient numerical solution for dielectric-coated PEC targets," Waves in Random and Complex Media, Vol. 19, No. 1, 65-79, Feb. 2009.
15. Ren, Z., "Degenerated prism elements-general nodal and edge shell elements for field computation in thin structures," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 34, No. 5, 2547-2550, Sep. 1998.
16. Abenius, E. and F. Edelvik, "Thin sheet modeling using shell elements in the finite-element time-domain method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 54, No. 1, 28-34.
17. Lei, L., J. Hu, and H. Q. Hu, "Solving scattering from conducting body coated by thin-layer material by hybrid shell vector element with boundary integral method," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, 1-9, 2012.
18. Ilic, M. M. and B. M. Notaro, "Higher order FEM-MoM domain decomposition for 3-D electromagnetic analysis," IEEE Antenna and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 970-973, 2009.
19. Cui, Z. W., Y. P. Han, X. Ai, and W. J. Zhao, "A domain decomposition of the finite element-boundary integral method for scattering by multiple objects ," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, 469-482, 2011.
20. Zhao, K. Z., A domain decomposition method for solving electrically large electromagnetic problems, Dissertation of Ph.D., The Ohio State University, 2007.