The problem of localizing small scatterers (in terms of wavelength) by Time Reversal-MUSIC (TR-MUSIC) algorithm is addressed. In particular, we focus on uniqueness problems that might arise for certain far zone configurations when noise corrupts data. These lead to reconstructions affected by ghost targets from which it is difficult to discern actual targets. In order to remedy such a drawback, data obtained at multiple frequencies are employed. In detail, a new multi-frequency version of TR-MUSIC is introduced. It consists in mixing reconstructions obtained at different frequencies. Numerical analysis shows that this method outperforms classical TR-MUSIC as well as its multi-frequency implementation already present in literature.
2. Solimene, , R., , A. Brancaccio, R. Pierri, and F. Soldovieri, "TWI experimental results by a linear inverse scattering approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 91, 259-272, 2009.
3. Park, , J. I. , K. T. Kim, and , "A comparative study on isar imaging algorithms for radar target identification," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 155-175, 2010.
4. Zhang, , W., A. Hoorfar, and L. Li, "Through-the-wall target localization with time reversal music method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 106, 75-89, 2010.
5. Solimene, , R., A. Brancaccio, R. Di Napoli, and R. Pierr, "3D sliced tomographic inverse scattering experimental results ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 1-13, 2010.
6. Zhu, , X., Z. Zhao, W. Yang, Y. Zhang, Z. Nie, and Q. H. Liu, "Iterative time-reversal mirror method for imaging the buried object beneath rough ground interfacev ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 19-33, 2011.
7. Xiao, , S., , J. Chen, X. Liu, and B. Z. Wang, "Spatial focusing characteristics of time reversal UWB pulse transmission with di®erent antenna array, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B,, Vol. 2, 223-232, 2008.
8. Lopez-Sanchez, , J. M. , J. Fortuny-Guash, and , "3-D radar imaging using range migration techniques," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 5, 728-737, 2000.
9. Solimene, , R., , A. Buonanno, F. Soldovieri, and R. Pierri, "Physical optics imaging of 3D PEC objects: Vector and multipolarized approaches," IEEE Trans, Geosc. Rem. Sen., Vol. 48, 1799-1808, 2010.
10. Solimene, , R., , A. Brancaccio, J. Romano, and R. Pierri, "Localizing thin metallic cylinders by a 2.5-D linear distributional approach: Experimental results ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 2630-2637, 2008.
11. Potthast, R., "Asurvey on sampling and probe methods for inverse problems," Inverse Problems,, Vol. 22, R1-R47, 2006.
12. Gruber, , F. K., , E. A. Marengo, and A. J. Devaney, "Time-reversal imaging with multiple signal classification considering multiple scattering between the targets," scattering between the targets, Vol. 115, 3042-3047, 2004.
13. Park, , W. K., "Non-iterative imaging if thin electromagnetic inclusions from multi-frequency response matrix," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 225-241, 2010.
14. Lehman, S. K. , S. K. and A. J. Devaney, "Transmission mode time-reversal super-resolution imaging," J. Acoust. Soc. Am., Vol. 113, 2742-2753, 2003.
15. Ammari, , H., E. Iakovleva, and D. Lesselier, "A music algorithm for locating small inclusions buried in a half-space from the scattering amplitude at a fixed frequency," Multiscale Modeling and Simulation,, Vol. 3, 597-628, 2005.
16. Agarwal, , K., , L. Pan, Y. K. Leong, M. Han, O. Y. Chan, X. Chen, and S. P. Yeo, "Practical application of multiple signal classification," Int. J. RF Microw. Comptuter-Aided Eng.,, Vol. 22, 359-369, 2012.
17. Chen, X. and K. Agarwal, "MUSIC algorithm for two-dimensional inverse problems with special characteristics of cylinders," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1808-1812, 2008.
18. Ammari, , H., , E. Iakovleva, D. Lesselier, and G. Perrusson, "Music-type electromagnetic imaging of a collection of small three-dimensional inclusions," SIAM J. Scient. Comp., Vol. 29, 674-709, 2007.
19. Chen, X. and Y. Zhong, "MUSIC electromagnetic imaging with enhanced resolution for small inclusions," Inverse Problems, , Vol. 25, 2009.
20. Yavuz, , M. E. and F. L. Teixeira, "On the sensitivity of time-reversal imaging techniques to model perturbations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 834-843, 2008.
21. Devaney, A. J., "Time reversal imaging of obscured targets from multistatic data ," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag.,, Vol. 53, No. 5, 1600-1610, 2005.
22. Gu, X. , Y. H. Zhang, and , "Resolution threshold analysis of MUSIC algorithm in radar range imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 31, 297-321, 2011.
23. Lev-Ary, , H. and D. J. Devaney, "The time-reversal technique re-interpreted: Subspace-based signal processing for multi-static target location," Proc. of IEEE Sensor Array and Multichannel Signal Processing Workshop , 2000.
24. Marengo, , E. A., F. K. Gruber, and , "Subspace-based localization and inverse scattering of multiply scattering point targets," EURASIP Journal on Advances in Signal Processing,, Vol. 2007, 16pages, 2007.
25. Foldy, , L. L., "The multiple scattering of waves," Phys. Rev.,, Vol. 67, 107-119, 1945.
26. Davy, M., , J. G. Minonzio, J. De Rosny, C. Prada, and M. Fink, "In°uence of noise on subwavelength imaging of two close scatterers using time reversal method: Theory and experiments, ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 333-358, 2009.
27. Pourahmadi, , M., , M. Nakhkash, and A. A. Tadion, "Application of MDL criterion for microwave imaging by MUSIC algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 40, 261-278, 2012.
28. Yavuz, , M. E. , F. L. Teixeira, and , "Space-frequency ultrawideband time-reversal imaging," IEEE Trans. Geosc. Rem. Sen., Vol. 46, 1115-1124, 2008.