This paper presents a fast technique for the automated design of pseudo-elliptic lters in in-line topology implemented in substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology. The proposed method is based on an optimization routine with cost function involving zeros and poles of scattering parameters. To realize transmission zeros in in-line topology, frequency-dependent couplings were used. Such dispersive couplings were implemented as shorted stubs. The design process starts with the generation of a suitable starting point. To this end, an approximation of SIW as a rectangular waveguide is used and a fast electromagnetic solver based on mode-matching technique is utilized (μWave Wizard). The next step is the optimization process of a lter in a full-wave 3D EM simulator Ansoft HFSS. To increase the speed of convergence, a built-in derivative calculation feature was used and zeros and poles and their derivatives with respect to design parameters were extracted using the vector fitting algorithm. Experimental validation of the method is demonstrated by a third-order filter with asymmetric response and a fifth-order filter with two transmission zeros in addition to an asymmetric response. The experimental results show good agreement between the simulated and measured data.
2. Atia, , A. , A. E. Williams, and , "Narrow-bandpass waveguide filters," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, No. 4, 258-265, 1972.
3. Atia, , A., A. E. Williams, and R. Newcomb, "Narrow-band multiple-coupled cavity synthesis," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 21, No. 56, 649-655, 1974.
4. Cameron, , R. J., "Advanced coupling matrix synthesis techniques for microwave filters ," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques,, Vol. 51, No. 1, 1-10, 2003.
5. Lamecki, , A., P. Kozakowski, and M. Mrozowski, "Fast synthesis of coupled-resonator filters," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters,, Vol. 14, 174-176, 2004.
6. Kozakowski, , P., , A. Lamecki, P. Sypek, and M. Mrozowski, "Eigen-value approach to synthesis of prototype filters with source/load coupling," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, 98-100, 2005.
7. Amari, , S., J. Bornemann, and , "Using frequency-dependent coupling to generate ¯nite attenuation poles in direct-coupled resonator bandpass filters," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave, Vol. 9, No. 19, 404-406, 1999.
8. Amari, , S., , J. Bornemann, W. Menzel, and F. Alessandri, "Diplexer design using pre-synthesized waveguide filters with strongly dispersive inverters," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest,, Vol. 3, 1627-1630, 2001.
9. Vanin, , F. M., , E. J. Wollack, K. Zaki, and D. Schmitt, "Polarization-preserving quadruple-ridge waveguide filter and four-fold symmetric transformer," IEEE MTT-S Interna- , Vol. 127, No. 130, 2006.
10. Kozakowski, , P., A. Lamecki, M. Mongiardo, M. Mrozowski, and C. Tomassoni, "Computer-aided design of in-line resonator ¯lters with multiple elliptical apertures," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest,, Vol. 2, 611-614, 2004..
11. Rosenberg, , U., , S. Amari, and F. Seyfert, "Pseudo-elliptic direct-coupled resonator ¯lters based on transmission-zero-generatingirises ," European Microwave Conference (EuMC), 962-965, 2010.
12. Zhang, , Z. G., Y. Fan, Y. J. Cheng, and Y.-H. Zhang, "A compact multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated circular cavity (SICC) filter for X-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 122, 453-465, 2012.
13. Wu, , L.-S., , J.-F. Mao, W. Shen, and W.-Y. Yin, "Extended doublet bandpass filters implemented with microstrip resonator and full-/half-mode substrate integrated cavities," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 108, 433-447, 2010.
14. Zhang, , Q.-L., , W.-Y. Yin, S. He, and L.-S. Wu, "Evanescent-mode substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filters implemented with complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 419-432, 2011.
15. Wang, , Z. G., , X. Q. Li, S. P. Zhou, B. Yan, R. M. Xu, and W. G. Lin, "Half mode substrate integrated folded waveguide (HMSIFW) and partial H-plane bandpass fiter ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 203-216, 2010.
16. Zhang, X.-C., , Z.-Y. Yu, and J. Xu, "Novel band-pass substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter based on complementary split ring resonators (CSRRs)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 39-46, 2007.
17. Liu, R., Q.Wang, and H. Li, "Post waveguide filters with compact shorting stubs," IEEE International Conference on Circuits and Systems for Communications, ICCSC, 323-325, 2008.
18. Zelenchuk, , D. , V. Fusco, and , "Low insertion loss substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filters for V-band wireless personal area network applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 8, 921-927, 2011.
19. Bila, , S., D. Baillargeat, S. Verdeyme, and P. Guillon, "Automated design of microwave devices using full EM optimization method," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, , Vol. 3, 1771-1774, 1998.
20. Bandler, , J. W., , Q. S. Cheng, D. M. Hailu, and N. K. Nikolova, "A space-mapping design framework," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2601-2610, 2004.
21. Wang, F., Q. J. Zhang, and , "Knowledge-based neural models for microwave design," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 2, 627-630, 1997.
22. Koziel, , S., , J. W. Bandler, and K. Madsen, "Quality assessment of coarse models and surrogates for space mapping optimization," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 9, No. 4, 375-391, 2008.
23. Koziel, S. and J. W. Bandler, "Space-mapping optimization with adaptive surrogate model," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 55, No. 3, 541-547, 2007.
24. Bila, , S., , D. Baillargeat, M. Aubourg, S. Verdeyme, P. Guillon, F. Seyfert, J. Grimm, L. Baratchart, C. Zanchi, and J. Sombrin, "Direct electromagnetic optimization of microwave ¯lters," IEEE Microwave Magazine,, Vol. 2, 46-51, 2001.
25. Ismail, , M. A., , D. Smith, A. Panariello, Y. Wang, and M. Ye, "EM based design of large-scale dielectric-resonator filters and multiplexers by space mapping," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 1, 386-392, 2004.