This paper presents the analysis of a six-phase permanent magnet synchronous machine dedicated for electrical power steering system applications. The motor design is briefly described, as well as the construction of the studied motor. The study is validated by finite element method and via experimental results. Some simulated results prove the machine's capability to work in faulty conditions. The machines performances are validated experimentally though scalar control.
2. Iles-Klumpner, D., Automotive permanent brushless actuation technologies, PhD. Thesis, University Politehnica, Timisoara, Romania, 2005.
3. Ravaud, R., G. Lemarquand, V. Lemarquand, and C. Depollier, "The three exact components of the magnetic field created by a radially magnetized tile permanent magnet," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 307-319, 2008.
4. Zhao, W., M. Cheng, R. Cao, and J. Ji, "Experimental comparison of remedial single-channel operations for redundant flux-switching permanent-magnet motor drive," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 189-204, 2012.
5. Fuhs, A. E., Hybrid Vehicles and the Future of Personal Transportation, CRC Press, 2008.
6., Bosch Automotive Handbook, Robert Bosch GmbH, 2002.
7. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "Hybrid method of obtaining degrees of freedom for radial airgap length in SRM under normal and faulty conditions based on magnetostatic model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 37-54, 2010.
8. Gieras, J. F. and M. Wing, Permanent Magnet Motor Technology, Marcel Dekker Inc., New York, 2002.
9. Tessarolo, A., "On the modeling of poly-phase electric machines through vector-space decomposition: Theoretical considerations," International Conference on Power Engineering, Energy and Electrical Drives, 519-523, 2009.
10. Torkaman, H. and E. Afjei, "FEM analysis of angular misalignment fault in SRM magnetostatic characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 31-48, 2010.
11. Akrad, A., M. Hilairet, and D. Diallo, "Design of fault-tolerant controller based on observers for a PMSM drive," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, 1416-1427, 2011.
12. Hanselman, D. C., Brushless Permanent-magnet Motor Design, McGraw-Hill, 1994.
13. Fodorean, D., A. Djerdir, I. A. Viorel, and A. A. Miraoui, "Double excited synchronous machine for direct drive application --- Design and prototype tests," IEEE Transactions on Energy Conversion, Vol. 22, 656-665, 2007.
14. Akbari, H., H. Meshgin-Kelk, and J. Milimonfared, "Extension of winding function theory for radial and axial nonuniform air gap in salient pole synchronous machines," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 407-428, 2011.
15. Norhisam, M., S. Ridzuan, R. N. Firdaus, C. V. Aravind, H. Wakiwaka, and M. Nirei, "Comparative evaluation on power-speed density of portable permanent magnet generators for agricultural application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 345-363, 2012.
16. Lecointe, J.-P., B. Cassoret, and J.-F. Brudny, "Distinction of toothing and saturation effects on magnetic noise of induction motors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 125-137, 2011.
17. Jian, L., G. Xu, Y. Gong, J. Song, J. Liang, and M. Chang, "Electromagnetic design and analysis of a novel magnetic-gear-integrated wind power generator using time stepping finite element method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 351-367, 2011.
18. Mahmoudi, A., N. A. Rahim, and W. P. Hew, "Axial-flux permanent-magnet motor design for electric vehicle direct drive using sizing equation and finite element analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 467-496, 2012.
19. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of Taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010.
20. Carro, P. L., C. J. De Mingo Sanz, and P. G. Ducar, "Radiation pattern synthesis for maximum mean effective gain with spherical wave expansions and particle swarm techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 355-370, 2010.
21. Taboada, J. M., M. G. Araujo, J. M. Bertolo, L. Landesa, F. Obelleiro, and J. L. Rodriguez, "MLFMA-FFT parallel algorithm for the solution of large-scale problems in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 15-30, 2010.
22. Touati, S., R. Ibtiouen, O. Touhami, and A. Djerdir, "Experimental investigation and optimization of permanent magnet motor based on coupling boundary element method with permeances network," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 71-90, 2011.