A novel broadband horizontally polarized (HP) omnidirectional planar antenna is developed for mobile communications. The proposed antenna consists of four printed arc dipoles that form a circular loop for HP omnidirectional radiation. A broadband feeding network which includes four broadband baluns and an impedance matching circuit is designed to excite the four arc dipoles. An eight-element linear antenna array is developed for 2G/3G base stations. A broadband power divider is used to feed the antenna array. Experimental results show that the HP omnidirectional antenna element has a bandwidth of 31% (1.66-2.27 GHz) while its array has a bandwidth of 34% (1.67-2.35 GHz) and an omnidirectional antenna gain of ~8 dBi. Both of the antenna element and its array have good omnidirectivity over the 10-dB return loss bandwidth. Simulated and measured results for the antenna element and its array are presented.
2. Tze-Meng, O. and T. K. Geok, "A dual-band omni-directional microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 363-376, 2010.
3. Chen, A., T. Jiang, Z. Chen, and D. Su, "A novel low-profile wideband UHF antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 75-88, 2011.
4. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X. F. Zeng, "A holly-lesf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 30-50, 2011.
5. Judasz, T. J. and B. B. Balsley, "Improved theoretical and experimental models for the coaxial colinear antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 31, No. 3, 289-296, Mar. 1989.
6. Sierra-Perez, M., F. L. Heras-Andres, and J. A. G. de Lope, "Low-cost printed collinear array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine., Vol. 57, No. 1, 23-30, 2001.
7. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 246-255, 3rd Edition, Tempe, AZ, 2005.
8. Chiu, C.-W. and C.-H. Chang, "Multiband folded loop antenna for smart phones," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 213-226, 2010.
9. Ando, A., A. Kondo, and S. Kubota, "A study of radio zone length of dual-polarized omnidirectional antennas mounted on rooftop for personal handy-phone system," IEEE Trans. on Vech. Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 2-10, 2008.
10. Ando, A., K. Cho, and T. Hori, "Dielectric-loaded slotted-cylinder antennas offering reduced base station interference for personal communication services," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 3, 1454-1457, 1998.
11. Iigusa, K. and M. Tanaka, "A horizontally polarized slot-array antenna on a coaxial cylinder," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1444-1447, 2000.
12. Phongcharoenpanich, C., P. Wounchourn, S. Kosulvit, and M. Krainiksh, "A horizontally polarized omnidirectional beam antenna using array of axial slot on cylindrical surface," The 3rd International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 576-579, 2002.
13. Alford, A. and A. G. Kandoian, "Ultra-high frequency loop antenn," Trans. on AIEE, Vol. 59, 843-848, 1940.
14. Chuang, H. R., "Omni-directional horizontally polarized Alford loop strip antenna,", US Patent 5767809, Jun. 16,1998.
15. Nakano, H., R. Satake, and J. Yamauchi, "Horizontally polarized,omnidirectional antenna with a single feed," IEEE International Conference on Wireless Information Technology and Systems(ICWITS), 2011.
16. Nakano, H., R. Satake, and J. Yamauchi, "Realization of a horizontally polarized, low-profile, omnidirectional antenna with an EBG reflector," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2011.
17. Jiang, C., X.-W. Dai, and Y.-C. Jiao, "A novel compact horizontally polarized omnidirectional antenna," International Symposium on Signals Systems and Electronics (ISSSE), 2010.
18. Lin, C.-C., L.-C. Kuo, and H.-R. Chuang, "A horizontally po-larized omnidirectional printed antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 54, No. 11, 3551-3556, 2006.
19. Ahn, C.-H., S.-W. Oh, and K. Chang, "A dual-frequency omnidirectional antenna for polarization diversity of MIMO and wireless communication applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 966-969, 2009.
20. Fenn, A., "Arrays of horizontally polarized loop-fed slotted cylinder antennas," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 33, No. 4, 375-382, 1985.
21. Wu, B. Q. and K.-M. Luk, "A wideband low-profile conical beam antenna with horizontal polarization," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1806-1808, 2009.
22. Morrow, J. D., "Polarization-adjustable omnidirectional dipole array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 2, 223-225, 2003.
23. Borja, A. L., P. S. Hall, L. Qing, and H. Iizuka, "Omnidirectional loop antenna with left-handed loading," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 495-498, 2007.
24. Edward, B. and D. Rees, "A broadband printed dipole with integrated balun," Microwave J., 339-344, May 1987.
25. Li, R. L., T. Wu, B. Pan, K. Lim, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Equivalent-circuit analysis of a broadband printed dipole with adjusted integrated balun and array for base station applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, 2180-2184, Jul. 2009.