Gaussian beam scattering by a spheroidal particle is studied in detail. A theoretical procedure is given to expand an incident Gaussian beam in terms of spheroidal vector wave functions within the generalized Lorenz-Mie theory framework. Exact analytic solutions are obtained for an arbitrarily oriented spheroid with non-confocal dielectric coating. Normalized differential scattering cross sections are shown and discussed for three different cases of a dielectric spheroid, spheroid with a spherical inclusion and coated spheroid.
2. Hadad, Y. and T. Melamed, "Parameterization of the tilted Gaussian beam waveobjects," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 65-80, 2010.
3. Li, Y. Q., Z.-S. Wu, and L. G. Wang, "Polarization characteristics of a partially coherent Gaussian Schell-model beam in slant atmospheric turbulence," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 453-468, 2011.
4. Klacka, J. and M. Kocifaj, "On the scattering of electromagnetic waves by a charged sphere," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 17-35, 2010.
5. Handapangoda, C. C., M. Premaratne, and P. N. Pathirana, "Plane wave scattering by a spherical dielectric particle in motion: A relativistic extension of the Mie theory," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 349-379, 2011.
6. Han, Y. P. and Z. S. Wu, "Scattering of a spheroidal particle illuminated by a Gaussian beam," Appl. Opt., Vol. 40, 2501-2509, 2001.
7. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering of the field of a metamaterial slab antenna by an arbitrarily positioned cluster of metallic cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 51-66, 2011.
8. Jandieri, V., K. Yasumoto, and Y.-K. Cho, "Rigorous analysis of electromagnetic scattering by cylindrical EBG structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 317-342, 2011.
9. Jin, Y., D. Gao, and L. Gao, "Plasmonic resonant light scattering by a cylinder with radial anisotropy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 335-347, 2010.
10. Raymond Ooi, C. H., "Near-field and particle size effects in coherent raman scattering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 479-494, 2011.
11. Jin, Y., D. Gao, and L. Gao, "Plasmonic resonant light scattering by a cylinder with radial anisotropy," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 335-347, 2010.
12. Han, Y. P., L. Méès, K. F. Ren, G. Gréhan, Z. S. Wu, and G. Gouesbet, "Far scattered field from a spheroid under a femtosecond pulsed illumination in a generalized Lorenz-Mie theory framework," Optics Communications, Vol. 231, 71-77, 2004.
13. Xu, F., K. F. Ren, and X. Cai, "Expansion of an arbitrarily oriented, located, and shaped beam in spheroidal coordinates," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 24, 109-118, 2007.
14. Xu, F., K. F. Ren, G. Gouesbet, G. Gréhan, and X. Cai, "Generalized Lorenz-Mie theory for an arbitrarily oriented,located, and shaped beam scattered by homogeneous spheroid," J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, Vol. 24, 119-131, 2007.
15. Zhang, H. Y. and Y. P. Han, "Addition theorem for the spherical vector wave functions and its application to the beam shape coeffcients," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 11, 255-260, 2008.
16. Carro, Ceballos, P. L., J. De Mingo Sanz, and P. G. Dúcar, "Radiation pattern synthesis for maximum mean effective gain with spherical wave expansions and particle swarm techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, No. 103, 355-370, 2010.
17. Zhang, H. Y. and Y. F. Sun, "Scattering by a spheroidal particle illuminated with a Gaussian beam described by a localized beam model," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B., Vol. 27, 883-887, 2010.
18. Han, Y., H. Zhang, and X. Sun, "Scattering of shaped beam by an arbitrarily oriented spheroid having layers with non-confocal boundaries," Applied Physics B -- Lasers and Optics, Vol. 84, 485-492, 2006.
19. Edmonds, A. R., Angular Momentum in Quantum Mechanics, Chapter 4, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1957.
20. Davis, L. W., "Theory of electromagnetic beam," Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 19, 1177-1179, 1979.
21. Doicu, A. and T. Wriedt, "Computation of the beam-shape coeffcients in the generalized Lorenz-Mie theory by using the translational addition theorem for spherical vector wave functions," App. Opt., Vol. 36, 2971-2978, 1997.
22. Barton, J. P. and D. R. Alexander, "Fifth-order corrected electromagnetic field components for a fundamental Gaussian beam," J. Appl. Phys., Vol. 66, 2800-2802, 1989.
23. Flammer, C., Spheroidal Wave Functions, Stanford University Press, Stanford, California, 1957.
24. Asano, S. and G. Yamamoto, "Light scattering by a spheroid particle," Appl. Opt., Vol. 14, 29-49, 1975.
25. Asano, S., "Light scattering properties of spheroidal particles," Appl. Opt., Vol. 18, 712-723, 1979.
26. Dalmas, J. and R. Deleuil, "Multiple scattering of electromagnetic waves from two prolate spheroids with perpendicular axes of revolution," Radio Science, Vol. 28, 105-119, 1993.
27. Li, L. W., M. S. Leong, T. S. Yeo, P. S. Kooi, and K. Y. Tan, "Computations of spheroidal harmonics with complex arguments:A review with an algorithm," Physical Review E, Vol. 58, 6792-6806, 1998.