In this paper, a second-order Chebyshev active bandpass filter (BPF) with three finite transmission zeros is presented. The filter utilizes a tapped-inductor feedback technique to compensate resistive losses of on-chip inductors, and a shunt-feedback inductor between input and output ports to achieve the transmission zeros. Moreover, one transmission zero is in the lower stopband, and two transmission zeros are in the upper stopband, thus improving the selectivity of the filter significantly. The filter is designed and fabricated in a standard 0.18-μm CMOS technology with a chip area of 0.57 mm×0.65 mm including all testing pads. The circuit draws 6 mA from a 0.7-V supply voltage. Additionally, the filter achieves a 1.65-dB insertion loss and 13.2-dB return loss with a 17% 3-dB bandwidth at 23.5 GHz. The measured NF and input P1 dB is 6.7 dB and -3.5 dBm. The rejection levels at the transmission zeros are greater than 15.2 dB. Finally, the large-signal characterizations are also investigated by the 1-dB compression point (P1 dB) of the filter.
2. Lee, J., Y.-A. Li, M.-H. Hung, and S.-J. Huang, "A fully-integrated 77-GHz FMCW radar transceiver in 65-nm CMOS technology," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 46, No. 12, 2746-2756, Dec.2010.
3. Kwon, I., Y. Eo, H. Bang, K. Choi, S. Jeon, S. Jung, D. Lee, and H. Lee, "A single-chip CMOS transceiver for UHF mobile RFID reader," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 43, No. 3, 729-738, Mar.2008.
4. Wong, S.-K., F. KungWai Lee, S. Maisurah, and M. N. B. Osman, "A wimedia compliant CMOS RF power amplifier for ultra-wideband (UWB) transmitter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 329-347, 2011.
5. Shi, X., K. S. Yeo, W. M. Lim, M. A. Do, and C. C. Boon, "A spice compatible model of on-wafer coupled interconnects for CMOS RFICs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 287-299, 2010.
6. Cao, Y., R. A. Groves, X. Huang, N. D. Zamdmer, J.-O. Plouchart, R. A. Wachnik, T.-J. King, and C. Hu, "Frequency-independent equivalent-circuit model for on-chip spiral inductors," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 38, No. 3, 419-426, Mar.2003.
7. Long, J. R. and M. A. Copeland, "The modeling, characterization,and design of monolithic inductors for silicon RF IC's," IEEE J.Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 32, No. 3, 357-369, Mar.1997.
8. Wang, S., K.-H. Tsai, K.-K. Huang, S.-X. Li, H.-S. Wu, and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "Design of X-band RF CMOS transceiver for FMCW monopulse radar," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech, Vol. 57, No. 1, 61-70, Jan.2009.
9. He, X. and W. B. Kuhn, "A 2.5-GHz low-power, high dynamic range self-tuned Q-enhanced LC filter in SOI," IEEE J. SolidState Circuits, Vol. 40, No. 8, 1618-1628, Aug.2005.
10. Park, E.-C., Y.-S. Choi, J.-B. Yoon, S. Hong, and E. Yoon, "Fully integrated low phase-noise VCOs with on-chip MEMS inductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 1, 289-296, Jan.2006.
11. Hsieh, H.-H., Y.-T. Liao, and L.-H. Lu, "A compact quadrature hybrid MMIC using CMOS active inductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1098-1104, Jun.2007.
12. Ler, C. L., A. K. B. A'ain, and A. V. Kordesh, "CMOS source degenerated differential active inductor," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 3, 196-197, Jan.2008.
13. Zheng, Y. and C. E. Saavedra, "Frequency response comparison of two common active inductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 113-119, 2010.
14. Georgescu, B., I. G. Finvers, and F. Ghannouchi, "2 GHz Q-enhanced active filter with low passband distortion and high dynamic range," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 9, 2029-2039, Sept.2006.
15. Soorapanth, T. and S. S. Wong, "A 0-dB IL 2140 ± 30MHz bandpass filter utilizing Q-enhanced spiral inductors in standard CMOS," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 37, No. 5, 579-586, May 2002.
16. Kulyk, J. and J. Haslett, "A monolithic CMOS 2368 ± 30MHz bandpass filter," IEEE J. Solid-State Circuits, Vol. 41, No. 2, 362-374, Feb.2006.
17. Fan, K.-W., C.-C. Weng, Z.-M. Tsai, H. Wang, and S.-K. Jeng, "K-band MMIC active band-pass filters," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, No. 1, 19-21, Jan.2005.
18. Chiang, M.-J, H-S. Wu, and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "A 3.7-mW Zero-dB fully integrated active bandpass filter at Ka-band in 0.18μm CMOS," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 1043-1046, Atlanta, GA, Jun. 2008.
19. Huang, K.-K., M.-J. Chiang, and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "A 3.3mW K-band 0.18μm 1P6M CMOS active bandpass filter using complementary current-reuse pair ," IEEE Microw. and Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 2, 94-96, Feb.2008.
20. Wang, S. and R.-X. Wang, "A tunable bandpass filter using Q-enhanced and semi-passive inductors at S-band in 0.18μm CMOS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 28, 55-73, 2010.
21. Wang, S. and R.-X. Wang, "Q-enhanced CMOS inductor using tapped-inductor feedback," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 16, 921-922, Aug.2011.
22. Tang, C.-W., C.-W. Shen, and P.-J. Hsieh, "Design of lowtemperature co-fired ceramic bandpass filters with modified coupled inductors," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 172-179, Jan.2009.
23. Tang, C.-W., "Design of four-ordered cross-coupled bandpass filters with low-temperature co-fired ceramic technology," IET Microw. Antennas & Propag., Vol. 3, 402-409, 2009.
24. Yeung, L. K. and K.-L. Wu, "A compact second-order LTCC bandpass filter with finite transmission zeros," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 337-341, Feb.2003.
25. Huang, P.-L., J.-F. Chang, Y.-S. Lin, and S.-S. Lu, "Microma-chined V -band CMOS bandpass filter with 2 dB insertion loss," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 2, 100-101, Jan.2009.
26. Yang, C.-L., S.-Y. Shu, and Y.-C. Chiang, "Analysis and design of a chip filter with low insertion loss and two adjustable transmission zeros using 0.18μm CMOS technology," IEEE Trans. on Microw.Theory and Tech., Vol. 58, No. 1, 176-184, Jan.2010.
27. Yang, C.-L., S.-Y. Shu, and Y.-C. Chiang, "Design of K-band chip filter with three tunable transmission zeros using a standard 0.13μm CMOS technology," IEEE Trans. on Circuit and Systems-II, Vol. 57, No. 7, 522-526, Jul.2010.
28. Zhou, L., S. Liu, Y.-N. Guo, X.-K. Kong, and H. F. Zhang, "A high selectivity quadruple-mode BPF with two short-circuited stub-loaded sirs," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 43-50, 2011.
29. Wang, S. and B.-Z. Wang, "Design of CMOS active bandpass filter with three transmission zeros," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 20, 1130-1131, Sept.2011.
30. Georgescu, B., H. Pekau,J. Haslett, and J. McRory, "Tunable coupled inductor Q-enhancement for parallel resonant LC tanks," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 50, No. 10, 705-713, Apr. 2003.
31. Chun, Y.-H., J.-R. Lee, S.-W. Yun, and J.-K. Rhee, "Design of an RF low-noise bandpass filter using active capacitance circuit," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, No. 2, 687-695, Feb. 2005.
32. Cheng, K.-K. M. and H.-Y. Chan, "Noise performance of negative-resistance compensated microwave bandpass filter -- Theory and experiments," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 49, No. 5, 924-927, May 2005.