Microstrip patch antennas have several advantages over conventional antennas including their low profile structure, light weight and low cost. As such, they have been widely used in a variety of applications. However, one of the major drawbacks of this antenna is the low bandwidth. In this paper, bandwidth of a dual patch antenna is improved by etching dummy EBG pattern on the feedline. Effects of different positions of the feedline on the bandwidth are also studied. A good improvement in bandwidth for the antenna with the dummy EBG pattern when compared to the reference antenna is obtained for all the feedline positions.
2. Li, J. L.-W., Y.-N. Li, T.-S. Yeo, J. R. Mosig, and O. J. F. Martin, "Addendum: `A broadband and high-gain metamaterial microstrip antenna' [Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 164101(2010)]," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 99, 159901, Nov. 2011.
3. Li, L.-W., Y.-N. Li, T.-S. Yeo, J. R. Mosig, and O. J. F. Martin, "A broadband and high-gain metamaterial microstrip antenna," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, No. 6, 164101, Apr. 2010.
4. Zhao, W.-J., L.-W. Li, and K. Xiao, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering and radiation from finite microstrip structures using an EFIE-PMCHWT formulation ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2468-2473, Jul. 2010.
5. Yuan, N., T. S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, Y. B. Gan, and L.-W. Li, "Analysis of probe-fed conformal microstrip antennas on finite ground plane and substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 554-563, Feb. 2006.
6. Yin, W.-Y., X.-T. Dong, J. F. Mao, and L.-W. Li, "Average power handling capability of finite-ground thin-film microstrip lines over ultra-wide frequency ranges," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 10, 715-717, Oct. 2005.
7. Gao, S.-C., L.-W. Li, T.-S. Yeo, and M.-S. Leong, "A broad-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna with aperture coupling," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 898-900, Apr. 2003.
8. Yuan, N., T.-S. Yeo, X. C. Nie, and L.-W. Li, "A fast analysis of scattering and radiation of large microstrip antenna arrays," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 9, 2218-2226, Sep. 2003. A correction is also made here (appearing in IEEE T-AP, Vol. 52, No. 7, 1921, Jul. 2004).
9. Liu, Z. F., P.-S. Kooi, L.-W. Li, M.-S. Leong, and T.-S. Yeo, "A method for designing broadband microstrip antennas in multilayered planar structures ," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 9, 1416-1420, Sep. 1999.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1997.
11. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
12. Monava, F. M. and N. Komjani, "Bandwidth enhancement of microstrip patch antenna using jerusalem cross-shaped frequency selective surfaces by invasive weed optimization approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 103-120, 2011.
13. Pergol, M. and W. Zieniutycz, "Rectangular microstrip resonator illuminated by normal-incident plane wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 83-97, 2011.
14. Rezaee, P., M. Tayarani, and R. Knöchel, "Active learning method for the determination of coupling factor and external Q in microstrip filter design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 459-479, 2011.
15. Tiang, J.-J., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and J. S. Mandeep, "Circular microstrip slot antenna for dual-frequency RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 499-512, 2011.
16. Asimakis, N. P., I. S. Karanasiou, and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Non-invasive microwave radiometric system for intracranial applications: A study using the conformal L-notch microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 83-101, 2011.
17. Peláe-Pérez, A. M., P. Almorox-Gonzalez, J. I. Alonso, and J. González-Martín, "Ultra-broadband directional couplers using microstrip with dielectric overlay in millimeter-wave band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 495-509, 2011.
18. Shakelford, A., K. F. Lee, D. Chatterjee, Y. X. Guo, K. M. Luk, and R. Chair, "Small-size wide-bandwidth microstrip patch antennas," Digest of 2001 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1, 86-89, Jul. 2001.
19. Liu, T.-H. and W. X. Zhang, Compound techniques for broadening the bandwidth of microstrip patch antenna, Proceedings of 1997 Asia Paci¯c Microwave Conference, Vol. 1, 241-244, Dec. 1997.
20. Slavova, A., A. Abdel Rahman, and A. S. Omar, "Broadband bandwidth enhancement of an Aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna," Digest of 2004 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 4, 3737-3740, Jun. 2004.
21. Yuan, T., J.-Y. Li, L.-W. Li, L. Zhang, and M.-S. Leong, "Improvement of microstrip antenna performance using two triangular structures," Digest of 2005 IEEE AP-S International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 1A, 301-304, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
22. Li, J. Y., Z.-Z. Oo, and L.-W. Li, "Improvement of characteristics of microstrip antennas using unbalanced structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagat. Lett., Vol. 1, 71-73, 2002.
23. Yablonvitch, E. and J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, "Photonic band-gap structures,", Vol. 10, No. 2, 283-295, Feb. 1993.
24. Yang, F. and R.-S. Y, "Applications of electromagnetic band-gap (EBG) structures in microwave antenna designs," Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 528-531, Aug. 2002.
25. Brown, E. R., C. D. Parker, and E. Yablonovitch, "Radiation properties of a planar antenna on a photonic-crystal substrate," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 10, 404-407, Feb. 1993.
26. Thevenot, M., M. S. Denis, A. Reincix, and B. Jecko, "Design of a new photonic cover to increase antenna directivity," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 22, No. 2, 136-139, Jul. 1999.
27. Yang, L., M. Y. Fan, F. L. Chen, J. Z. She, and Z. H. Feng, "A novel compact electromagnetic bandgap structure and its applications for microwave circuits," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 1, 183-190, Jan. 2005.
28. Yu, A. and X. X. Zhang, "A novel 2-D electromagnetic band-gap structure and its application in micro-strip antenna arrays," Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, 580-583, Aug. 2002.
29. Choi, J. and M. Swaminathan, Analysis of alternating impedance electromagnetic bandgap (Al-EBG) structure by transmission line network method , Proceedings of 2005 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 2005.
30. Yang, L., M. Y. Fan, and Z. H. Feng, A spiral electromagnetic bandgap (EBG) structure and its application in microstrip antenna arrays , Proceedings of 2005 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, Vol. 3, 2005.
31. Xu, D. X., B. L. Ooi, and G. Zhao, "A new triple-band slot antenna with EBG feed," Proceeding of Microwave, Antenna, Propagation and EMC Technologies for Wireless Communication, Vol. 1, 41-44, Aug. 2005.
32. Manik, G., T. Yuan, C.-W. Qiu, L.-W. Li, and K. Takei, Bandwidth increment of microstrip patch antenna array with opposite double-e ebg structure for different feed positions, Proceedings of the 11th International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation, Singapore, Nov. 1-4, 2006.
33. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.