An analytical model is presented to investigate the performances of an annular-ring patch etched on a two layered dielectric substrate and is covered by a dielectric superstrate, by using a full-wave spectral domain technique in conjunction with the complex resistive boundary condition. Galerkin's method and Parseval's theorem are used to obtain the resonant frequency and bandwidth. To validate the theoretical results, a study has been performed for an annular-ring patch on a single layer, with air gap, and cover layer. The computed data are found to be in good agreement with results obtained using other methods. Variations of the resonant frequency and bandwidth with the high temperature superconducting (HTS) thin film are also presented. The proposed model is simple, accurate and thus should help a designer for practical applications.
2. Yang, M. G., X. Xing, A. Daigle, O. Obi, M. Liu, J. Lou, S. Stoute, K. Naishadham, and N. X. Sun, "Planar annular ring antennas with multilayer self-biased nico-ferrite films loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 648-655, 2010.
3. Balanis, E. C., Antenna Theory, Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
4. Hansen, C. R., Electrically Small, Superdirective, and Superconducting Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2006.
5. Wu, C.-J. and Y.-L. Chen, "Microwave properties of a high-temperature superconductor and ferromagnetic bilayer structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 111, 433-445, 2011.
6. Richard, M. A., K. B. Bhasin, and P. C. Claspy, "Performance of a K-band superconducting annular ring antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 5, No. 6, 257-259, Jun. 1992.
7. Liu, F. S., X. W. Shi, and S. D. Liu, "Study on the impedance-matching technique for high-temperature superconducting microstrip antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 77, 281-284, 2007.
8. Barkat, O. and A. Benghalia, "Radiation and resonant frequency of superconducting annular ring microstrip antenna on uniaxial anisotropic media," Int. J. Infrared Millim. Waves, Vol. 30, 1053-1066, Jun. 2009.
9. Losada, V., R. R. Boix, and M. Horno, "Resonant modes of circular micristrip patches in multilayered substrates," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 488-498, 2000.
10. Fan, Z. and K. F. Lee, "Input impedance of annular-ring microstrip antennas with a dielectric cover," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 40, No. 8, 992-995, 1992.
11. Dahele, S. J. and K. F. Lee, "Theory and experiments on microstrip antennas with airgaps," Proc. IEE, Vol. 132, 455-460, Dec. 1985.
12. Jamlos, F. M., T. A. Rahman, M. R. Kamarudin, M. T. Ali, M. N. M. Tan, and P. Saad, "The gain effects of air gap quadratic aperture-coupled microstrip antenna array," PIERS Proceedings, 462-465, Cambridge, USA, Jul. 2010.
13. Gürel, S. Ç. and E. Yazgan, "Modified cavity model to determine resonant frequency of tunable microstrip ring antennas," Taylor and Francis, Electromagnetic, Vol. 19, 443-455, 1999.
14. Ali, S. M., W. C. Chew, and J. A. Kong, "Vector Hankel transform analysis of annular ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, No. 4, 637-644, Jul. 1982.
15. Barkat, W. and A. Benghalia, "Annular ring microstrip antenna in multilayered media containing uniaxial dielectrics," First Int. Symp. on Control, Commun. and Signal Processing, 327-330, 2004.
16. Liu, H. and X. F. Hu, "Input impedance analysis of a microstrip annular-ring antenna with a thick substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 12, 177-204, 1996.
17. Tagle, J. G. and C. G. Christodoulou, "Extended cavity model analysis of stacked microstrip ring antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 45, No. 11, 1626-1635, 1997.
18. Motevasselian, A., "Spectral domain analysis of resonant characteristics and radiation patterns of a circular disc and an annular ring microstrip antenna uniaxial substrate," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 21, 237-251, 2011.
19. Pergol, M. and W. Zieniutycz, "Rectangular microstrip resonator illuminated by normal-incident plane wave," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 83-97, 2011.
20. Gürel, S. Ç. and E. Yazgan, "Resonant frequency analysis of annular ring microstrip patch on uniaxial medium via Hankel transform domain immittance approach," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 11, 37-52, 2010.
21. Firouzeh, Z. H., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, R. Moini, S. H. H. Sadeghi, and R. Faraji-Dana, "Efficient evaluation of Green's functions for lossy half-space problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 139-157, 2010.
22. Chew, W. C., "A broad band annular ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 30, 918-922, 1982.