The wire-ground electromagnetic coupling structures are quite common in avionics system electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) analysis. The increasing complexities of physical structures make electromagnetic modeling an increasingly tough task, and computational efficiency is desirable. In this paper, a novel selective mesh approach is presented for partial element equivalent circuit (PEEC) modeling where intense coupling parts are meshed while the remaining parts are eliminated. With the proposed approach, the meshed ground plane is dependent on the length and height of the above wires. Relevant compact formulae for determining mesh boundaries are deduced, and a procedure of general mesh generation is also given. A numerical example is presented, and a validation check is accomplished, showing that the approach leads to a significant reduction in unknowns and thus computation time and consumed memories, while preserving the sufficient precision. This approach is especially useful for modeling the electromagnetic coupling of wires and reference ground, and it may also be beneficial for other equivalent circuit modeling techniques.
2. Kong, L. and M. Luo, "Co-frequency interference suppression algorithm via maximum signal minus interference level," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 183-199, 2010.
3. Tsai, H.-C., "Investigation into time- and frequency-domain EMI-induced noise in bistable multivibrator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 100, 327-349, 2010.
4. Ding, T.-H., Y.-S. Li, X. Yan, and Y.-Z. Qu, "A new efficient method for calculation and suppression of simultaneous switching noise with the time-domain impedance function for high-speed circuit design," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 41-62, 2011.
5. Paul, C. R., Analysis of Multiconductor Transmission Lines, 2nd Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, New York, 2007.
6. Roy, A., S. Ghosh, and A. Chakraborty, "Simple crosstalk model of three wires to predict near-end and far-end crosstalk in an EMI/EMC environment to facilitate EMI/EMC modeling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 8, 43-58, 2008.
7. Kirawanich, P., J. R. Wilson, N. E. Islam, and S. J. Yakura, "Minimizing crosstalks in unshielded twisted-pair cables by using electromagnetic topology techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 125-140, 2006.
8. Huang, W.-T., C.-H. Lu, and D.-B. Lin, "Suppression of crosstalk using serpentine guard trace vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 37-61, 2010.
9. FAR25, Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes, FAA, Washington DC, 2007.
10. Ruehli, A. E., "Equivalent circuit models for three dimensional multiconductor systems," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 22, No. 3, 216-221, Mar. 1974.
11. Ruehli, A. E. and A. C. Cangellaris, "Progress in the methodologies for the electrical modeling of interconnects and electronic packages," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 89, No. 5, 740-771, May 2001.
12. Antonini, G., "The partial element equivalent circuit method for EMI, EMC and SI analysis," ACES Newsletter, Vol. 21, No. 1, 8-32, Mar. 2006.
13. Song, Z., D. Su, F. Duval, and A. Louis, "Model order reduction for PEEC modeling based on moment matching," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 285-299, 2011.
14. Vahrenholt, V., H. D. Bruns, and H. Singer, "Reduction of unknowns in PEEC structures by exploiting connectivity of PEEC cells," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 2, 412-418, May 2007.
15. Bern, M. and P. Plassmann, Mesh Generation, Handbook of Computational Geometry, Elsevier Science, 2000.
16. Fernandez-Recio, R., L. E. Garcia-Castillo, S. Llorente-Romano, and I. Gomez-Revuelto, "Convergence study of a non-standard schwarz domain decomposition method for finite element mesh truncation in electromagnetics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 439-457, 2011.
17. Antonini, G., M. D. Prinzio, A. Petricola, and A. E. Ruehli, Reduced unknowns meshing for the partial element equivalent circuit approach, International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Chicago, Illinois, Aug. 2005.
18. Ekman, J., G. Antonini, and A. E. Ruehli, "Impact of partial element accuracy on PEEC model stability," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 48, No. 1, 19-32, Feb. 2006.
19. Song, Z., W. Yahyaoui, F. Duval, and D. Su, "Capturing skin effect with an effective non-uniform mesh and coupled R-L circuits," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 2, 94-95, Jan. 2011.
20. Harrington, R. F., Field Computation by Moment Methods, 2nd Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, 1993.
21. Shi, Y. and C. H. Liang, "Simulations of the left-handed medium using discontinuous Galerkin method based on the hybrid domains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 63, 171-191, 2006.
22. Verbeek, M. E., "Partial element equivalent circuit (PEEC) models for on-chip passives and interconnects," International Journal of Numerical Modelling, Vol. 17, No. 1, 61-84, Feb. 2004.
23. Ho, C., A. E. Ruehli, and P. Brennan, "The modified nodal approach to network analysis," IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, Vol. 22, No. 6, 504-509, Jun. 1975.
24. Sadiku, M. N. O., Numerical Techniques in Electromagnetic, 2nd Ed., CRC Press, New York, 2001.
25. Nabors, K. and J. White, "FastCap: A multipole accelerated 3-D capacitance extraction program," IEEE Transactions on Computer-aided Design of Integral Systems, Vol. 10, No. 11, 1447-1459, Nov. 1991.
26. Kamon, M., M. J. Tsuk, and J. White, "FASTHENRY: A multipole-accelerated 3-D inductance extraction program," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, No. 9, 1750-1758, Sep. 1994.
27. Long, H., Partial element equivalent circuit method for three-dimensional full-medium systems and its modeling, Ph.D. Thesis, Tsinghua University, 2005.
28. Jackson, J. D., Classical Electrodynamics, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1998.
29. Lim, J., J. Lee, J. Lee, S. Han, D. Ahn, and Y. Jeong, "A new calculation method for the characteristic impedance of transmission lines with modified ground structures or perturbation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 147-162, 2010.
30. Liu, Y., L. Tong, W. Zhu, Y. Tian, and B. Gao, "Impedance measurements of nonuniform transmission lines in time domain using an improved recursive multiple reflection computation method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 149-164, 2011.
31. Antonini, G., D. Deschrijver, and T. Dhaene, "Broadband macromodels for retarded partial element equivalent circuit (rPEEC) method," IEEE Transactions on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 1, 35-48, Feb. 2007.