According to the uniqueness theorem, the far field radiation pattern of radiators such as antennas can be determined from the measured tangential electric or magnetic field components over an arbitrary Huygens' surface enclosing the radiator. In this paper, a method using the spherical electric field measurement is developed to calculate the far field radiation. Following the Schelkunoff's field equivalence principle, a spherical region surrounding the radiator is assumed and its internal space is filled up with the perfect electric conductor (PEC). The radiated field from the Huygens' equivalent electric current is zero. Referring to the Ohm-Rayleigh method and the scattering wave superposition, the dyadic Green's function (DGF) with the presence of a PEC sphere is expanded by a series of spherical vector wave functions. Based on the DGF and the measured tangential electric field, the radiation behavior of the radiator can be directly predicted without involving the uncertainty from the inverse process. The robustness and accuracy of the proposed method are verified through several canonical antenna benchmarks.
2. Weng, H., D. Beetner, R. E. Dubroff, and J. Shi, "Estimation of high frequency currents from the near-field scan measurement," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 49, No. 4, Nov. 2007.
3. Peter, P. and T. K. Sarkar, "Planar near-field to far-field transformation using an equivalent magnetic current approach," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, No. 11, 1348-1356, Nov. 1992.
4. Taaghol, A. and T. K. Sarkar, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry utilizing an equivalent magnetic current," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 3, 536-542, Aug. 1996.
5. Sarkar, T. K. and A. Taaghol, "Near-field to near/far-field transformation for arbitrary near-field geometry utilizing an equivalent electric current and MOM," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 3, 566-573, Mar. 1999.
6. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, and M. R. Pino, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents distribution over arbitrary three-dimensional surfaces based on integral equation algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3460-3468, Nov. 2007.
7. Alvarez, Y., F. Las-Heras, M. R. Pino, and T. K. Sarkar, "An improved super-resolution source reconstruction method," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 11, 3855-3866, Nov. 2009.
8. Serhir, M., P. Besnier, and M. Drissim, "An accurate equivalent behavioral model of antenna radiation using a mode-matching technique based on spherical near field measurements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 1, 48-57, Jan. 2008.
9. Persson, K. and M. Gustafsson, "Reconstruction of equivalent currents using a near-field data transformation with radome applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 54, 179-198, 2005.
10. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Improved-accuracy source reconstruction on arbitrary 3-D surfaces," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1046-1049, Sep. 2009.
11. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Field and source equivalence in source reconstruction on 3D surfaces," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 67-100, 2010.
12. Quijano, J. L. A. and G. Vecchi, "Near- and very near-field accuracy in 3-D source reconstruction," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 634-637, Jul. 2010.
13. Jorgensen, E., P. Meincke, and M. Sabbadini, Improved source reconstruction technique for antenna diagnostics, Proc. 32nd ESA Antenna Workshop, The Netherlands, Oct. 2010.
14. Rengarajan, S. R. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "The field equivalence principle: Illustration of the establishment of the non-intuitive null fields," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 42, No. 4, 122-128, Aug. 2000.
15. Schmidt, C. H., M. M. Leibfritz, and T. F. Eibert, "Fully probe-corrected near-field far-field transformation employing plane wave expansion and diagonal translation operators," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 737-746, Mar. 2008.
16. Eibert, T. F. and C. H. Schmidt, "Multilevel fast multipole accelerated inverse equivalent current method employing Rao-Wilton-Glisson discretization of electric and magnetic surface currents," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 4, 737-746, Apr. 2009.
17. Tai, C.-T., Dyadic Green Functions in Electromagnetic Theory, 2nd Ed., IEEE Press, 1994.
18. Kong, J. A., Electromagnetic Wave Theory, EMW Publishing, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA, 2008.
19. Chew, W. C., Waves and Fields in Inhomogeneous Media, Wiley, IEEE Press, 1999, ISBN 9780470547052.
20. Koivisto, P., "Reduction of errors in antenna radiation patterns using optimally truncated spherical wave expansion," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 47, 313-333, 2004.
21. EM Software and Systems, FEKO Suite 5.2. Available: http://www.feko.info..
22. Hansen, J. E., Spherical Near-Field Antenna Measurements, Peter Peregrinus, London, 1998.