In this paper, the problem of target detection in co-located ``multi-input multi-output" (MIMO) radars is considered. A pulse-train signaling is assumed to be used in this system. As the doppler effect should be considered for the pulse-train signaling, we are confronted by a compound hypothesis testing problem, so in this paper a Generalized Likelihood Ratio (GLR) detector is derived. The high complexity of this detector makes us derive a new detector based on the theory of Independent Component Analysis (ICA). It is shown that the computational load of the ICA-based detector is much less than the GLR detector. It is also shown that the sensitivity of the ICA-based detector to the doppler effect is very low. According to this approach, an appropriate signal design method is presented, based on the separation performance of the ICA algorithms. It is shown that independent random sequences are proper signals in the sense of detection performance.
2. Haykin, S., J. Litva, and T. J. Shepherd, Radar Array Processing, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1993.
3. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, MIMO radar: An idea whose time has come, Proc. of the IEEE Radar Conf., Vol. 2, 71-78, Honolulu, Hawaii, Apr. 2004.
4. Haimovich, A., R. Blum, and L. Cimini, "MIMO radar with widely separated antennas," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 25, 116-129, Jan. 2008.
5. Fishler, E., A. Haimovich, R. Blum, L. Cimini, D. Chizhik, and R. Valenzuela, "Spatial diversity in radars-models and detection performance," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 823-838, Mar. 2006.
6. Lehmann, N., E. Fishler, A. Haimovich, R. Blum, D. Chizhik, L. Cimini, and R. Valenzuela, "Evaluation of transmit diversity in MIMO radar direction finding," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 55, 2215-2225, May 2007.
7. Li, J., P. Stoica, and X. Zheng, "Signal synthesis and receiver design for MIMO radar imaging," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, 3959-3968, Aug. 2008.
8. Li, J. and P. Stoica, "MIMO radar with colocated antennas," IEEE Signal Process. Mag., Vol. 24, 106114, Sep. 2007.
9. Chen, C. Y. and P. Vaidyanathan, "MIMO radar space-time adaptive processing using prolate spheroidal wave functions," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 56, 106-114, Sep. 2007.
10. Bekkerman, I. and J. Tabrikian, "Target detection and localization using MIMO radars and sonars," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 3873-3883, Oct. 2006.
11. Daum, F. and J. Huang, "MIMO radar: Snake oil or good idea," IEEE Aerosp. Electron. Syst. Mag., 8-12, May 2009.
12. Sheikhi, A. and A. Zamani, "Temporal coherent adaptive target detection for multi-input multi-output radars in clutter," IET Radar, Sonar & Navig., Vol. 2, 86-96, Jun. 2008.
13. De Maio, A. and M. Lops, "Design principles of MIMO radar detectors," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 43, 886-897, Jul. 2007.
14. Huang, Y., P. Brennan, D. Patrick, I. Weller, P. Roberts, and K. Hughes, "FMCW based MIMO imaging radar for maritime navigation ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 327-342, 2011.
15. Chen, J., Z. Li, and C. Li, "A novel strategy for topside ionosphere sounder based on spaceborne MIMO radar with fdcd," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 381-393, 2011.
16. Lim, S.-H., C. G. Hwang, S.-Y. Kim, and N.-H. Myung, "Shifting MIMO SAR system for high-resolution wide-swath imaging," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1168-1178, 2011.
17. Yang, Y. and R. S. Blum, "Minimax robust MIMO radar waveform design," IEEE Journal of Sel. Topics Signal Process., Vol. 1, 147-155, 2007.
18. Fuhrmann, D. and G. Antonio, "Transmit beamforming for MIMO radar systems using signal cross-correlation," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 44, 171-176, Jan. 2008.
19. Qu, Y., G. Liao, S.-Q. Zhu, X.-Y. Liu, and H. Jiang, "Performance analysis of beamforming for MIMO radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 84, 123-134, 2008.
20. Sinha, N. B., R. N. Bera, and M. Mitra, "Digital array MIMO radar and its performance analysis," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 4, 25-41, 2008.
21. Hassanien, A. and S. A. Vorobyov, "Phased-MIMO radar: A tradeoff between phased-array and MIMO radars," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, 3137-3151, Jun. 2010.
22. Zhang, J., H. Wang, and X. Zhu, "Adaptive waveform design for separated transmit/receive ULA-MIMO radar," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, 4936-4942, Sep. 2010.
23. Sen, S. and A. Nehorai, "OFDM MIMO radar with mutual-information waveform design for low-grazing angle tracking," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, 3152-3162, Jun. 2010.
24. Li, H. and B. Himed, "Transmit subaperturing for MIMO radars with co-located antennas," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, 55-65, Feb. 2010.
25. Hatam, M., A. Sheikhi, and M. A. Masnadi-Shirazi, "A pulse-train mimo radar based on theory of independent component analysis," Submitted for Publication in the Iranian Journal of Science and Technology, Jun. 2011.
26. Cui, G., L. Kong, and X. Yang, "Multiple-input multiple-output radar detectors design in non-gaussian clutter," IET Radar, Sonar & Navig., Vol. 4, 724-732, 2010.
27. Levenon, N., "Stepped-frequency pulse-train radar signal," IEE Proc. of Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 149, 297-309, Dec. 2002.
28. Iizuka, K., et al., "Step-frequency radar," Journal of Applied physics, Vol. 56, 2572-2583, Nov. 1984.
29. Mohseni, R., A. Sheikhi, and M. A. Masnadi-Shirazi, "Compression of multicarrier phase-coded radar signals based on discrete fourier transform (DFT)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 5, 93-117, 2008.
30. Gabriel, J. R. and S. M. Kay, "On the relationship between the GLRT and UMPI tests for the detection of signals with unknown parameters," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 53, 4194-4203, Nov. 2005.
31. Hyvärinen, A., J. Karhunen, and E. Oja, Independent Component Analysis, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 2001.
32. Comon, P., "Independent components analysis: A new concept?," Special Issue on Higher-order Statistics, Signal Processing, Elsevier, Vol. 36, 287-314, Apr. 1994.
33. Belouchrani, A., K. A. Meraim, J. F. Cardoso, and E. Moulines, "A blind source separation technique based on second order statistics," IEEE Transactions on Signal Process, Vol. 45, 434-444, 1997.
34. Hyvärinen, A. and E. Oja, "A fast fixed-point algorithm for independent component analysis," IEEE Transactions on Neural Computations, Vol. 9, 1483-1492, Oct. 1997.
35. Cardoso, J. F. and A. Souloumiac, "Blind beamforming for non gaussian signals," IEE Proceedings F, Radar and Signal Processing, Vol. 140, 362-370, Dec. 1993.
36. Cardoso, J. F., "Jade algorithm for complex-valued signals as a matlab function," http://perso.telecom-paristech.fr/cardoso/Algo/Jade/jade.m.
37. Kay, S. M., Fundamentals of Statistical Signal Processing: Estimation Theory, Vol. 1, Prentice-Hall, 1998.
38. Tichavský, P., Z. Koldovský, and E. Oja, "Performance analysis of the FastICA algorithm and Cramer-Rao bounds for linear independent component analysis," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 54, 1189-1203, Apr. 2006.
39. Koldovský, Z., P. Tichavský, and E. Oja, "Efficient variant of algorithm FastICA for independent component analysis attaining the Cramr-Rao lower bound," IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol. 17, 806-815, Sep. 2006.
40. Holtz, O. and N. Shomron, "Computational complexity and numerical stability of linear problems," Proceedings of the 5th European Congress of Mathematics, 381-400, EMS Publishing House, 2010.
41. Todros, K. and J. Tabrikian, Fast approximate joint diagonalization of positive definite hermitian matrices, IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, Vol. 3, 2007.
42. Papoulis, A. and S. Pillai, Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes, 4th Ed., Mc-Graw-Hill, 2002.