A printed monopole ultra wideband (UWB) antenna with frequency band-notched characteristics is proposed and investigated. The antenna consists of a half-disk shaped structure combined with an inverted isosceles trapezoid structure. To achieve the frequency band notched characteristics, an open-ended thin slit with a length of about one quarter guided wavelength is inserted on the radiator. Multiple slits can be employed to realize multiple frequency band notched characteristics. To validate the concept, two prototypes are designed, fabricated and tested. The first is a single band notched UWB antenna whereas the second is a dual band notched UWB antenna. The simulated and measured results of both antennas are presented shown a reasonable agreement between them. The results also confirm the proposed UWB antenna design can achieve superior dual band-notch performance at desired frequency bands.
2. Zhu, F., S.-C. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, T. W. C. Brown, J. Li, and J.-D. Xu, "Low-profile directional ultra-wideband antenna for see-through-wall imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 121, 121-139, 2011.
3. Federal Communications Commission, Revision of Part 15 of the Commission's rules regarding ultra-wideband transmission system from 3.1 to 10.6 GHz, 98-153 ET-Docket, Federal Communications Commission, FCC, Washington, DC, 2002.
4. Chen, Z. N., M. J. Ammann, X. Qing, X. H. Wu, T. S. P. See, and A. Cat, "Planar antennas," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 7, No. 6, 63-73, 2006.
5. See, C. H., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, D. Zhou, and P. S. Excell, "A Planar Inverted F-L Antenna (PIFLA) with a rectangular feeding plate for lower-band UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 149-151, Mar. 2010.
6. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S.-O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, 2006.
7. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5 GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, 1-13, 2010.
8. Habib, M. A., A. Bostani, A. Djaiz, M. Nedil, M. C. E. Yagoub, and T. A. Denidni, "Ultra wideband CPW-FED aperture antenna with WLAN band rejection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 17-31, 2010.
9. Sim, C.-Y.-D., W.-T. Chung, and C.-H. Lee, "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010.
10. Su, M., Y.-A. Liu, S.-L. Li, and C.-P. Yu, "A compact open slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14--15, 2001-2010, 2001.
11. Yang, G., Q.-X. Chu, and Z.-H. Tu, "A compact band-notched UWB antenna with controllable notched bandwidths by using coupled slots," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 14--15, 2148-2157, 2011.
12. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005.
13. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
14. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
15. Xie, M., Q. Guo, and Y. Wu, "Design of a miniaturized UWB antenna with band-notched and high frequency rejection capability," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8--9, 1103-1112, 2011.
16. Soltani, S., M. N. Azarmanesh, P. Lotfi, and G. Dadashzadeh, "Two novel very small monopole antennas having frequency band notch function using DGS for UWB application," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 65, No. 1, 87-94, 2010.
17. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 170-173, 2011.
18. Yoon, I. J., H. Kim, H. K. Yoon, Y. J. Yoon, and Y. H. Kim, "Ultra-wideband tapered slot antenna with band cutoff characteristic," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 11, 629-630, 2005.
19. Zhou, H.-J., B. H. Sun, Q.-Z. Liu, and J.-Y. Deng, "Implementation and investigation of U-shaped aperture UWB antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 24, 1387-1388, 2008.
20. Xia, Y.-Q., J. Luo, and D.-J. Edwards, "Novel miniature printed monopole antenna with dual tunable band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 13, 1783-1793, 2010.
21. Ni, T., W.-M. Li, Y.-C. Jiao, L.-S. Ren, and L. Han, "Novel compact UWB antenna with 3.5/5.5 GHz band-notched characteristics," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2212-2221, 2011.
22. Liao, X.-J., H.-C. Yang, N. Han, and Y. Li, "UWB antenna with dual narrow band notches for lower and upper WLAN bands," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 24, 1593-1594, 2010.
23. HFSS, Ansys Inc. [Online], Available: http://www.ansys.com.
24. Chung, S. W. J., R. A. Abd-Alhameed, P. S. Excell, C. H. See, D. Zhou, and J. G. Gardiner, Resistively loaded wire bow-tie antenna for microwave imaging by means of genetic algorithms, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Computing, Communications and Control Technologies, 303-306, CCTV 2008, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2008.
25. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band-notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, 2009.
26. Li, L., Z.-L. Zhou, and J.-S. Hong, "Compact UWB antenna with four band-notches for UWB applications," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 22, 1211-1212, 2011.
27. Liao, X.-J., H.-C. Yang, N. Han, and Y. Li, "Aperture UWB antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," IET Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 2, 77-79, 2011.
28. Tang, M.-C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G.-D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, 1372.
29. Almalkawi, M. and V. Devabhaktuni, "Ultrawideband antenna with triple band-notched characteristics using closed-loop ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, 959-926, 2011.
30. Peng, L. and C.-L. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagnetic-bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1074-1081, 2011.