The accuracy of the finite difference frequency domain (FDFD) method in the solution of canonical waveguide discontinuity problems involving complementary or nearly complementary metamaterials (MTMs) is analytically discussed. It is shown that the good accuracy of the method (in comparison with other frequency-domain techniques) is due to the intrinsic approximation which it introduces in the finite-difference discretization of sharp dielectric interfaces. By exploiting such a result, a perturbation algorithm is proposed for the reliable modeling of MTMs devices when other frequency domain numerical methods are at disposal. A preliminary numerical analysis is carried out to assess the reliability and accuracy of the proposed modeling approach when canonical scattering problems are at hand.
2. Itoh, T. and A. A. Oliner, "Special issue on metamaterials structures, phenomena and applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 53, Apr. 2005.
3. Canto, J. R., C. R. Paiva, and A. M. Barbosa, "Dispersion and losses in surface waveguides containing double negative or chiral metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 409-423, 2011.
4. Chen, H., L. Huang, X. Cheng, and H. Wang, "Magnetic properties of metamaterial composed of closed rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 317-326, 2011.
5. He, Y., J.-Q. Shen, and S. He, "Consistent formalism for the momentum of electromagnetic waves in lossless dispersive metamaterials and the conservation of momentum," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 81-106, 2011.
6. Liu, L., J. Sun, X. Fu, J. Zhou, Q. Zhao, B. Fu, J. Liao, and D. Lippens, "Artificial magnetic properties of dielectric metamaterials in terms of effective circuit model," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 159-170, 2011.
7. Liu, S.-H. and L.-X. Guo, "Negative refraction in an anisotropic metamaterial with a rotation angle between the principal axis and the planar interface," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 243-257, 2011.
8. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering of the field of a metamaterial slab antenna by an arbitrarily positioned cluster of metallic cylinders," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 51-66, 2011.
9. Feng, T., Y. Li, H. Jiang, W. Li, F. Yang, X. Dong, and H. Chen, "Tunable single-negative metamaterials based on microstrip transmission line with varactor diodes loading," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 35-50, 2011.
10. He, X.-J., Y. Wang, J. Wang, T. Gui, and Q. Wu, "Dual-band terahertz metamaterial absorber with polarization insensitivity and wide incident angle," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 381-397, 2011.
11. Shao, J., H. Zhang, Y. Lin, and H. Xin, "Dual-frequency electromagnetic cloaks enabled by LC-based metamaterial circuits," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 225-237, 2011.
12. Wang, B. and K.-M. Huang, "Spatial microwave power combining with anisotropic metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 195-210, 2011.
13. Xu, S., L. Yang, L. Huang, and H. Chen, "Experimental measurement method to determine the permittivity of extra thin materials using resonant metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 327-337, 2011.
14. Zhou, B., H. Li, X. Zou, and T.-J. Cui, "Broadband and high-gain planar Vivaldi antennas based on inhomogeneous anisotropic zero-index metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 120, 235-247, 2011.
15. Zhou, H., F. Ding, Y. Jin, and S. He, "Terahertz metamaterial modulators based on absorption," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 119, 449-460, 2011.
16. Luukkonen, O., M. G. Silveirinha, A. B. Yakovlev, C. R. Simovski, I. S. Nefedov, and S. A. Tretyakov, "Effects of spatial dispersion on reflection from mushroom-type artificial impedance surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Tech., Vol. 57, No. 11, 2692-2699, Nov. 2009.
17. Smith, D. R. and J. B. Pendry, "Homogenization of metamaterials by field averaging (invited paper)," J. Opt. Soc. Am. B, Vol. 23, 391-403, 2006.
18. Erentok, A. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "HFSS modeling of a dipole antenna enclosed in an epsilon-negative (ENG) metamaterial shell," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 22-25, Washigton DC, USA, Jul. 2005.
19. Caloz, C., C.-C. Chang, and T. Itoh, "Full-wave verification of the fundamental properties of left-handed materials in waveguide configurations," J. Appl. Physics, Vol. 90, No. 11, 5483-5486, 2001.
20. Gurel, L., O. Ergul, A. Unal, and T. Malas, "Fast and accurate analysis of large metamaterial structures using the multilevel fast multipole algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 179-198, 2009.
21. Jin, J., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1993.
22. Cevini, G., G. Oliveri, and M. Raffetto, "Further comments on the performances of finite element simulators for the solution of electromagnetic problems involving metamaterials ," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 48, No. 12, 2524-2529, Dec. 2006.
23. Oliveri, G. and M. Raffetto, "A warning about metamaterials for users of frequency-domain numerical simulators," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 56, No. 3, 792-798, Mar. 2008.
24. Raffetto, M., "Ill posed waveguide discontinuity problem involving metamaterials with impedance boundary conditions on the two ports," IET Proc. Sci. Measur. Tech., Vol. 1, No. 5, 221-239, Sept. 2007.
25. Oliveri, G. and M. Raffetto, "An assessment by a commercial software of the accuracy of electromagnetic finite element simulators in the presence of metamaterials," The International Journal for Computation and Mathematics in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, COMPEL, Vol. 27, No. 6, 1260-1272, 2008.
26. Oliveri, G. and M. Raffetto, Accuracy of finite difference frequency domain methods in the presence of effective metamaterials, Proceedings of the European Microwave Conference, 27-31, Amsterdam, NL, Oct. 2008.
27. Bozza, G., G. Oliveri, and M. Raffetto, "Unusual ill-posed waveguide discontinuity problems: a comparison of frequency domain numerical methods," 9th International Workshop on Finite Elements for Microwave Engineering, 8-9, Bonn, Germany, May 2008.
28. Clemens, M. and T. Weiland, "Discrete electromagnetism with the finite integration technique," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 32, 65-87, 2001.
29. Taflove, A. and S. C. Hagness, Computational Electrodynamics: The Finite-difference Time-domain Method, Artech House, Boston, 2000.
30. COMSOL, Inc., COMSOL multiphysics 3.4, Jul. 2008, http://-www.comsol.com/.
31. Cevini, G., G. Oliveri, and M. Raffetto, "Performances of electromagnetic finite element simulators in the presence of three-dimensional double negative scatterers," IET Proc. Microwav. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 3, 737-745, Jun. 2007.
32. Yee, K., "Numerical solution of inital boundary value problems involving Maxwell's equations in isotropic media ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 14, No. 3, 302-307, May 1966.
33. Clemens, M. and T. Weiland, "Numerical algorithms for the FDiTD and FDFD simulation of slowly varying electromagnetic fields," International Journal of Numerical Modelling: Electronic Networks, Devices and Fields, Vol. 12, No. 1-2, 3-22, 1999.
34. Champagne, N. J., J. G. Berryman, and H. M. Buettner, "FDFD: A 3D finite-difference frequency-domain code for electromagnetic induction tomography," J. Comp. Physics, Vol. 170, No. 2, 830-848, Jul. 2001.
35. Collin, R. E., Foundations for Microwave Engineering, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1992.
36. Caorsi, S., A. Massa, M. Pastorino, and A. Rosani, "Microwave medical imaging: Potentialities and limitations of a stochastic optimization technique," IEEE Trans. on Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 52, No. 8, 1909-1916, Aug. 2004.
37. Oliveri, G., P. Rocca, and A. Massa, "A bayesian compressive sampling-based inversion for imaging sparse scatterers," IEEE Trans. on Geosci. and Remote Sens., Vol. 49, No. 10, 3993-4006, Oct. 2011.
38. Oliveri, G., Y. Zhong, X. Chen, and A. Massa, "Multi-resolution subspace-based optimization method for inverse scattering," J. Optical Soc. Am. A, Vol. 40, No. 10, 2057-2069, Oct. 2011.
39. Rocca, P., M. Benedetti, M. Donelli, D. Franceschini, and A. Massa, "Evolutionary optimization as applied to inverse scattering problems," Inverse Probl., Vol. 25, No. 12, 1-41, Dec. 2009.
40. Rocca, P., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "Differential evolution as applied to electromagnetics," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 38-49, Feb. 2011.