A new Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) has been developed at Multimedia University, in collaboration with Agency of Remote Sensing Malaysia. The SAR operates at C-band, single $VV$-polarization, with 5 m x 5 m spatial resolution. Its unique features include compact in size, light weight, low power and capable of performing real-time imaging. A series of field measurements and flight tests has been conducted and good quality SAR images have been obtained. The system will be used for monitoring and management of earth resources such as paddy fields, oil palm plantation and soil surface. This paper reports the system design and development, as well as some preliminary results of the UAVSAR.
2. Curlander, J. C. and R. N. McDonough, "Synthetic Aperture Radar: System and Signal Processing," A Wiley Interscience Publication, 1991.
3. Wiley, C. A., "Synthetic aperture radar --- A paradigm for technology evolution," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 21, 440-443, 1985.
4. Ausherman, D. A., A. Kozma, J. L. Walkeretal, H. M. Jones, and E. C. Poggio, "Developments in radar imaging," IEEE Trans. on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 20, No. 4, 363-440, 1984.
5. Ulaby, F. T., R. K. Moore, and A. K. Fung, Microwave Remote Sensing-active and Passive, Vol. 2, Addison Wesley, 1981.
6. Drinkwater, M. K., R. Kwok, and E. Rignot, "Synthetic aperture radar polarimetry of sea ice," Proceeding of the 1990 International Geoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 1525-1528, 1990.
7. Lynne, G. L. and G. R. Taylor, "Geological assessment of SIR-B imagery of the amadeus basin," IEEE Trans. on Geosc. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, No. 4, 575-581, 1986.
8. Hovland, H. A., J. A. Johannessen, and G. Digranes, Slick detection in SAR images, Proceeding of the 1994 International eoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, 2038-2040, 1994.
9. Walker, B., G. Sander, M. Thompson, B. Burns, R. Fellerhoff, and D. Dubbert, "A high-resolution, four-band SAR testbed with real-time image formation," Proceeding of the 1986 International Geoscience and Remmote Sensing Symposium, 1881-1885, 1996.
10. Storvold, R., E. Malnes, Y. Larsen, K. A. H¿gda, S. E. Hamran, K. Müller, and K. A. Langley, "SAR remote sensing of snow parameters in Norwegian areas --- Current status and future perspective," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 13, 1751-1759, 2006.
11. Kong, J. A., S. H. Yueh, H. H. Lim, R. T. Shin, and J. J. van Zyl, "Classification of earth terrain using polarimetric synthetic aperture radar images," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 3, 327-370, 1990.
12. Taylor, J. W. R., Jane's Pocket Book of Remotely Piloted Vehicles, Collier Books, New York, 1977.
13. Yong, J. M., Secrets of Military Unmanned Aerial Vehicle, Defense University Publisher, China, 2004.
14. Wall, R., Trial Run: Sigint Version, Not Maritime Patrol, Attracts Initial German Interest in Global Hawk, 42-43, McGraw-Hill, USA, 2003.
15. Zaugg, E. C., D. L. Hudson, and D. G. Long, The BYU SAR: A small, student-built SAR for UAV operation, The 2006 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 411-414, 2006.
16. Hensley, S., et al., Status of a UAVSAR designed for repeat pass interferometry for deformation measurements, IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1453-1456, 2005.
17. Wheeler, K., K., S. Hensley, Y. Lou, T. Miller, and J. Hoffman, An L band SAR for repeat pass deformation measurements on a UAV platform , Proceedings of the IEEE Radar Conference, 317-322, 2004.
18. Rosen, P. A., S. Hensley, K. Wheeler, G. Sadowy, T. Miller, S. Shaffer, R. Muellerschoen, C. Jones, H. Zebker, and S. Madsen, UAVSAR: A new NASA airborne SAR system for science and technology research, IEEE Conference on Radar, 22-29, 2006.
19. Rosen, P. A., S. Hensley, K. Wheeler, G. Sadowy, T. Miller, S. Shaffer, R. Muellerschoen, C. Jones, S. Madsen, and H. Zebker, "UAVSAR: Airborne SAR system for research," IEEE A&E Systems Magazine, 21-28, 2007.
20. Weib, M. and J. H. G. Ender, A 3D imaging radar for small unmanned airplanes --- ARTINO, Radar Conference, 209-212, 2005.
21. Weiss, M., O. Peters, and J. Ender, "A three dimensional SAR system on an UAV," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 5315-5318, 2007.
22. Wells, L., K. Sorensen, A. Doerry, and B. Remund, "Developments in SAR and IFSAR systems and technologies at sandia national laboratories," IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings, Vol. 2, 1085-1095, 2005.
23. Tsunoda, S. I., F. Pace, J. Stence, M. Woodring, W. H. Hensley, A. W. Doerry, and B. C. Walker, Lynx: A high-resolution synthetic aperture radar, IEEE Aerospace Conference Proceedings, Vol. 5, 51-58, 2000.
24. Saldana, R. R. and F. P. Martinez, "Design of a millimetre synthetic aperture radar (SAR) onboard UAV's ," IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, 1-5, 2007.
25. Peihong, R., "High-resolution 8mm radar imaging technique," International Conference on Radar, 1-3, 2006.
26. Wissan, Y. V., I. Firmansyah, P. Rizki Akbar, J. T. Sri Sumantyo, and H. Kuze, "Development of circularly polarized array antenna for synthetic aperture radar sensor installed on UAV," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 119-133, 2011.
27. Chan, Y. K., M. K. Azlindawaty, V. Gobi, B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "The design and development of airborne synthetic aperture radar," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 518-520, Jul. 2000.
28. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, V. Gobi, T. S. Lim, B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, "The MASAR project: Design and development," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 279-298, 2005.
29. Chan, Y. K., B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 203-218, 2004.
30. Gobi, V., B. K. Chung, and H. T. Chuah, "Design of a microstrip patch antenna for airborne SAR applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 19, No. 12, 1687-1701, 2005.
31. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009.
32. International Telecommunication Union's (ITU) World Radio-communication Conference 1997 (WRC-97).
33. Ulaby, F. T. and M. C. Dobson, Handbook of Radar Scattering Statistics for Terrain, Artech House, Norwood, 1989.
34. Cumming, I. G. and F. H. Wong, Digital Processing of Synthetic Aperture Radar Data, Artech House, Norwood, 2005.