An evolutionary learning algorithm based on differential evolution strategy (DES) and continuous ant colony optimization (CACO) for wideband antenna design is proposed. The advantages of this hybrid method are demonstrated with several mathematical functions and a linear array pattern synthesis. This method is applied to design an E-shaped wideband patch antenna, which achieves the impedance bandwidth 4.8 ~ 6.53 GHz. We compare the hybrid method with the traditional DES and CACO optimization algorithms, and the advantage of this hybrid method over the DES and the CACO is also demonstrated.
2. Reza, A. W., M. S. Sarker, and K. Dimyati, "A novel integrated mathematical approach of ray-tracing and genetic algorithm for optimizing indoor wireless coverage ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 110, 147-162, 2010.
3. Dadgarnia, A. and A. A. Heidari, "A fast systematic approach for microstrip antenna design and optimization using ANFIS and GA," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 16, 2207-2221, 2010.
4. Xu, O., "Collimation lens design using AI-GA technique for gaussian radiators with arbitrary aperture field distribution," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 5-6, 743-754, 2011.
5. Islam, M. T., M. Moniruzzaman, N. Misran, and M. N. Shakib, "Curve fitting based particle swarm optimization for UWB patch antenna," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 17-18, 2421-2432, 2009.
6. Naghavi, A. H., M. Tondro-Aghmiyouni, M. Jahanbakht, and A. A. Lotfi Neyestanak, "Hybrid wideband microstrip Wilkinson power divider based on lowpass filter optimized using particle swarm method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 14-15, 1877-1886, 2010.
7. Wang, W.-B., Q. Feng, and D. Liu, "Application of chaotic particle swarm optimization algorithm to pattern synthesis of antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 173-189, 2011.
8. Jin, N. B. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Parallel particle swarm optimization and finite-difference time-domain (PSO/FDTD) algorithm for multiband and wide-band patch antenna designs," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 53, No. 11, 3459-3468, 2005.
9. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Amplitude-only pattern nulling of linear antenna arrays with the use of bees algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 21-36, 2007.
10. Guney, K. and M. Onay, "Synthesis of thinned linear antenna arrays using bees algorithm," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 4, 795-799, 2011.
11. Zheng, X., C. Liao, L. Chang, J. Fang, and H. J. Fu, Automated design of an ultra-wideband microstrip patch antenna, ICMTCE, The International Conference on Microwave Technology & Computational Electromagnetics, 80-83, Beijing, China, 2009.
12. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution --- A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," Journal of Global Optimization, Vol. 11, No. 4, 341-359, 1997.
13. Qing, A. Y., "Dynamic differential evolution strategy and applications in electromagnetic inverse scattering problems," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 1, 116-125, 2006.
14. Goudos, S. K., Z. D. Zaharis, and T. V. Yioultsis, "Application of a differential evolution algorithm with strategy adaptation to the design of muti-band microwave filters for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 109, 123-137, 2010.
15. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, T. Samaras, E. E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Self-adaptive differential evolution applied to real-valued antenna and microwave design problems ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1286-1298, 2011.
16. Goudos, S. K., K. Siakavara, E. Vafiadis, and J. N. Sahalos, "Pareto optimal Yagi-Uda antenna design using multi-objective differential evolution," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 105, 231-251, 2010.
17. Li, J.-Y., "A bi-swarm optimizing strategy and its application of antenna design," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 23, No. 14-15, 1877-1886, 2009.
18. Xie, L., Y.-C. Jiao, Y.-Q. Wei, and G. Zhao, "A compact band-notched UWB antenna optimized by a novel self-adaptive differential evolution algorithm ," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 24, No. 17-18, 2353-2361, 2010.
19. Zhang, L., Z. Cui, Y. C. Jiao, and F. S. Zhang, "Broadband patch antenna design using differential evolution algorithm," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1692-1695, 2009.
20. Dib, N. I., S. K. Goudos, and H. Muhsen, "Application of taguchi's optimization method and self-adaptive differential evolution to the synthesis of linear antenna arrays," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 102, 159-180, 2010.
21. Li, R., L. Xu, X.-W. Shi, N. Zhang, and Z.-Q. Lv, "Improved differential evolution strategy for antenna array pattern synthesis problems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 429-441, 2011.
22. Li, F., Y.-C. Jiao, L.-S. Ren, Y.-Y. Chen, and L. Zhang, "Pattern synthesis of concentric ring array antennas by differential evolution algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 2-3, 421-430, 2011.
23. Chen, Y. K., S. W. Yang, and Z. P. Nie, "The application of a modified differential evolution strategy to some array pattern synthesis problems ," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 7, 1919-1927, 2008.
24. Dorigo, M. and T. StÄutzle, Ant Colony Optimization, The MIT Press, 2003.
25. Luo, D. L., H. P. Chen, S. X. Wu, and Y. X. Shi, "Hybrid ant colony multi-objective optimization for flexible job shop scheduling problems," Journal of Internet Technology, Vol. 11, No. 3, 361-369, 2010.
26. Xing, L. N., Y. W. Chen, P. Wang, Q. S. Zhao, and J. Xiong, "Knowledge-based ant colony optimization for flexible job shop scheduling problems," Applied Soft Computing, Vol. 10, No. 3, 888-896, 2010.
27. Quevedo-Teruel, Q. and E. Rajo-Iglesias, "Ant colony optimization in thinned array synthesis with minimum sidelobe level," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 349-352, 2006.
28. Bilchev, B. and I. C. Parmee, "The ant colony metaphor for searching continuous design spaces," Proceedings of the AISB Workshop on Evolutionary Computation, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 993, 25-39, 1995.
29. Zhang, H. M., M. Z. Gao, and X. F. Zhang, "Continuous ant colony optimization algorithm based on crossover and mutation," Journal of China University of Metrology, Vol. 20, No. 3, 259-262, 2009.
30. Hosseini, S. A. and Z. Atlasbaf, "Optimization of side lobe level and fixing quasi-nulls in both of the sum and difference patterns by using continuous ant colony optimization (ACO) method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 321-337, 2008.
31. Coelho, L. D. and D. L. D. Bernert, "A modified ant colony optimization algorithm based on differential evolution for chaotic synchronization," Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, No. 6, 4198-4203, 2010.
32. Khushaba, R. N., A. Al-Ani, A. AlSukker, and A. Al-Jumaily, "A combined ant colony and differential evolution feature selection algorithm," ANTS, Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Ant Colony Optimization and Swarm Intelligence, 1-12, 2008.